Audeze LCD-4
Jan 26, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #5,371 of 11,986
From what I recall when I asked Audeze after receiving my current LCD-3s and the new headphones didn't include the wood care kit, they changed the way the wood is finished and there was no need for wax. The transition happened a few years ago.

That said, I'm some guy on the internet and they are your beautiful $4k headphones. I'd call Audeze and ask specifically about your LCD-4s.

Roger that, yeah I'll just call customer service and see what's up.

Please post when you get a definitive answer. I'm auditioning the 4s this weekend and may be purchasing soon.

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #5,372 of 11,986
Has anyone weighed their LCD-4s minus the cables? Officially I think they're supposed to be 600g, but TrustedReview says their review copy weighs 705g without the cable. I find the 105g difference rather perplexing.

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #5,373 of 11,986
Has anyone weighed their LCD-4s minus the cables? Officially I think they're supposed to be 600g, but TrustedReview says their review copy weighs 705g without the cable. I find the 105g difference rather perplexing.

I don't wanna take this conversation back to where it was, but:
Variations in timber density? :p

What if:  Darker timber = heavier?

Ooh now there's a conundrum...

Jan 26, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #5,374 of 11,986
I don't wanna take this conversation back to where it was, but:

Variations in timber density? :p

What if:  Darker timber = heavier?

Ooh now there's a conundrum...

I was thinking exactly that, but could density of wood really make over 100g difference? And if yes, surely it would have a notable affect on the sound quality too? In the same way E-MU headphones change in sonic properties with different wood cups too.

Might be interesting for people to experiment and compare!

Jan 26, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #5,375 of 11,986
Whatup guys. New LCD-4 owner here. Currently running on WA22 with Mojo as DAC until canjam socal when I can hopefully grab the new Hugo 2. I'll probably end up getting a WA22-SE also eventually cuz I can already tell these things need more juice than my current amp puts out. Plus it looks to fit my current stash of rectifier and driver tubes so win win.

Anyway, definitely don't wanna go back to the to the topic of wood rings, but I have a quick question. Is there any way to safely shine them up? Mine look a little smudged.

Being that they have a clear coat finish, I used car polish on mine and they not only look fantastic, but resist smudging more that ever. It's been 5 months now and they still look great. I spent a few hours doing it while listening to my other headphones . I ended up doing my LCD-3 and XC too.

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #5,377 of 11,986
Being that they have a clear coat finish, I used car polish on mine and they not only look fantastic, but resist smudging more that ever. It's been 5 months now and they still look great. I spent a few hours doing it while listening to my other headphones . I ended up doing my LCD-3 and XC too.

They look awesome! Could you please explain the mortals what you did (step by step)? What brand of car polish did you use? How did you get them to shine like that?

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #5,378 of 11,986
Beware that the layer of clear covering the wood are very thin, I would advise to use a chemical based polish rather than an abrasive based polish to avoid marring the surface.

Rub the polish with your two fingers, and if you do not feel the abrasive, then it should be safe. Just my 2 cents...

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #5,379 of 11,986
Quick input on the Mojo - that's all I've got for mine at the moment, it does an ok job and yes I can make my ears hurt if I turn it all the way up...but it starts to clip badly several clicks away from max volume, and clipping is even present at what I would say is my minimum enjoyable listening level. I do like to listen loudly, but still....I can tell that far more power is needed to really get the most out of them. For now it's not terrible, but far from optimum in the long run.

Wondering if anyone has heard these out of an RSA Dark Star? Seems like once in a while one comes up for sale at around the same price as a new Pro iCan...interesting comparison to make I think, being that both are massively powerful.

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #5,380 of 11,986
Quick input on the Mojo - that's all I've got for mine at the moment, it does an ok job and yes I can make my ears hurt if I turn it all the way up...but it starts to clip badly several clicks away from max volume, and clipping is even present at what I would say is my minimum enjoyable listening level. I do like to listen loudly, but still....I can tell that far more power is needed to really get the most out of them. For now it's not terrible, but far from optimum in the long run.

Wondering if anyone has heard these out of an RSA Dark Star? Seems like once in a while one comes up for sale at around the same price as a new Pro iCan...interesting comparison to make I think, being that both are massively powerful.

LCD-4 needs serious power to shine......otherwise you will never hear them at their best or even close

Jan 27, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #5,383 of 11,986
They look awesome! Could you please explain the mortals what you did (step by step)? What brand of car polish did you use? How did you get them to shine like that?

This is what I used. I actually did the finger test that Toolman suggests to ensure that the Polish wasn't too gritty. I didn't feel it was and the results were excellent. I applied with a microfiber cloth and justl lightly rubbed it in little circles while occasionally letting the polish dry to a haze for a few minutes before continuing to rub in small circles again and then flipping the cloth to a clean section every few minutes to see results up to that point. I did this for about an hour or so and the picture shows the results. It's been 5 months now and they still look great. I'm sure other brands would work well too. I even put a bit of car wax on it too. I think that was Meguirs. As a precaution, I tried not to rub any on the earpads. As an additional benefit, they now resist smudging quite well too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back