Audeze LCD-4
Nov 6, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #4,741 of 11,995

Nov 7, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #4,745 of 11,995
I got cable from Norne Audio and my experience with Audeze LCD was awesome! I'm highly recommending Trevor to make business with. He has long waiting list for his cables (around 2-3 weeks in general) so purchase ahead of time is recommended. Cables are of great quality and the service is amazing!

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #4,746 of 11,995

Thought I would share my new custom LCD-4 cable with you guys. I am so proud of this amazing work by plusSound.

16 strand tri-metal (gold, silver, copper) with right angle oyaide rhodium connector!

I'll take a picture with them in my LCD-4 later, the pairing looks incredible
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #4,747 of 11,995
I'm impressed.  I auditioned the LCD-4 twice this past weekend and I can safely say it is the first non-electrostatic headphone, to my ears, that isn't blown out of the water in terms of transparency next to the Stax SR-007 and SR-009 (did A/B comparisons with the SR-009 + BHSE).  Clearly better and more natural to my ears than the HE1000 v2 and the Abyss didn't impress me this much either.  I need to see about borrowing one and using it with a speaker amp.

Nov 8, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #4,748 of 11,995
have gone back and forth over the past while listening to my LCD-4's with and without my Moon Neo 430 and straight out of the Dave...I have finally come to the conclusion that the LCD-4 sounds better with the amp while my Utopia is better straight from the Dave and does not need an amp at all....the LCD-4's are such a power hungry HP and the amp just gives it added body and depth and harder hitting bass with a wider soundstage....don't get me wrong it sound terrific straight from the Dave but to my ears the difference is quite noticeable....I actually wanted to have found the opposite to be true because it is obviously easier to simply use the Dave...oh well,this should be my biggest problem....I wonder if others out there that own the LCD-4 and Dave hear it the same way?

Nov 8, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #4,749 of 11,995
  have gone back and forth over the past while listening to my LCD-4's with and without my Moon Neo 430 and straight out of the Dave...I have finally come to the conclusion that the LCD-4 sounds better with the amp while my Utopia is better straight from the Dave and does not need an amp at all....the LCD-4's are such a power hungry HP and the amp just gives it added body and depth and harder hitting bass with a wider soundstage....don't get me wrong it sound terrific straight from the Dave but to my ears the difference is quite noticeable....I actually wanted to have found the opposite to be true because it is obviously easier to simply use the Dave...oh well,this should be my biggest problem....I wonder if others out there that own the LCD-4 and Dave hear it the same way?

Hope to have my Dave tomorrow, but I demo'd the Dave with my LCD-4s at RMAF, it did not have enough power to push my LCD-4s to their potential. I, like you, wanted the Dave to be my one and done purchase, but I will be pairing it with an amp. I also demo'd the Utopia with the Dave, and the Dave did a wonderful job driving them. The pairing was excellent. 

Nov 8, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #4,750 of 11,995
Smazz,it does seem we have the same opinion regarding the Dave and the LCD-4 and Utopia..dave with the amp is fantastic with the LCD-4 and straight out of the Dave it is wonderful....

Nov 8, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #4,752 of 11,995

Without even trying the pairing I had a big feeling that Dave couldn't power the LCD-4 to respectable levels. It's such a power thirsty headphone. I notice a pretty substantial sound quality increase when plugging my LCD-4 from a mild powered amp to a very powerful amp. It gives me that authoritative aggressive sound I like.. while still keeping that warm smoothness overall.

RCB - It's possible placebo but when switching cables to this one I did hear a unique improvement in sound. I think the tri-metal design implementation is one of a kind and mixed with my soft ear pads and incredible sounding tube amp, it really makes for a sound I haven't heard with any other LCD-4. I'd say the cable was definitely worth it.. sound, look and durability wise.

Nov 10, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #4,754 of 11,995
  1- I am looking for a direct and honest comparison between the LCD4 and Utopia.

2- I am wondering if the LCD4 has the "veil" thing that affects clarity. 

I think it depends on your sound preference. I have both as loaners at the same time and to me the LCD4 sounded more laid back and darker in comparison. IMO the Utopia was faster and with a more realistic presentation and detail. 
I was on the fence about which one to buy before the comparison but after spending a week with both for me the answer was clear and ordered the Utopia.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Nov 10, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #4,755 of 11,995
  I think it depends on your sound preference. I have both as loaners at the same time and to me the LCD4 sounded more laid back and darker in comparison. IMO the Utopia was faster and with a more realistic presentation and detail. 
I was on the fence about which one to buy before the comparison but after spending a week with both for me the answer was clear and ordered the Utopia.

Are there any missing details around instruments while listening to the LCD4?
Who has bigger soundstage?

I listen to HD800 S and LCD3F, I need a headphones that sits in the middle (in terms of sound signature). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back