Audeze LCD-4
Sep 2, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #4,501 of 11,995
  Same synergy as with lcd3 or better? :)

Similar, you will just be higher on the volume knob than with the LCD-3 :) I enjoy the pairing. 

Sep 2, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #4,502 of 11,995
  I had the Taurus II and Vega when I upgraded to the LCD-4 from the 3F at the start of the year and it sounded great and worked fine with the 4. I did however upgrade the HP amp a few months later to the Moon 430HA -- following a rather well known HP blogger -- still using the Vega DAC, which does sound even better, as it should with the 430HA at nearly twice the price of the Taurus.

Is the 430HA really big upgrade to Taurus MKII?

Sep 2, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #4,503 of 11,995
  Is the 430HA really big upgrade to Taurus MKII?

In my experience with it, its a bit warmer, and also has pretty much double the power. It drives harder to drive headphones, like the LCD-4, very well. It still has a lot of punch and good dynamics, at least to my ears. Perhaps a bit less clinical than the Taurus. 

Sep 2, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #4,504 of 11,995
Yes, the 430HA is a pretty much better all round. If you can afford it, there is simply more there there -- to state the cliche, with the Moon based sound, even if the 430HA is from their Neo range,

Sep 2, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #4,506 of 11,995
Good luck, but don't bother with the Moon DAC board in the 430HAC, as the Vega runs rings around it with the use of a good USB cable and balanced interconnect.

Sep 2, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #4,507 of 11,995
I use Yiggy as my DAC with the Moon 430 and it is magical combo with the LCD-4's!

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #4,509 of 11,995
LCD-i3? Guess it's not a new flagship based on price and naming scheme.

Adjust me if Im wrong, but LCD-i3 seems to have the same thin diaphragm as LCD4, but its missing some parts that makes LCD4. I think if Im correct its the dual magnets both sides of diaphragm ?

II couldnt find info about i3 on audeze website, so product is prob pending this coming fall.

Sep 5, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #4,510 of 11,995
I have the LCD-4 and the LCD- 3f 2015.

To me, the LCD-4 is technically superior. If you break it down by soundstage, transparency, deep bass, etc the LCD-4 wins. If you ask which of the two is more musical and inviting, the answer is not as easy.

I find the LCD-3f to have more "cream" to its midrange and a bit more body to the music overall. With some music (rock), this translates into it being my go to headphone. Also, I find it more full sounding and pleasing at lower listening levels.

I have also heard the 2016 LCD-3f version. I still prefer the 2015 model for it's still "creamier" midrange. They are still very very similar sounding though.

Overall though, I would still, by a small margin, go with the LCD-4.
At the same time I would not pay 4K for it.
I think the LCD-3f 2015 , which can be found used for approximately 1250, is the bargain of a lifetime in the headphone world.

Sorry for quoting a week after your initial questions, but I was in Marbella (south spain ) for last month and came back about a week ago and put my headfi hobby on the shelf for almost 2 months now, and oboy its fun to come home and turn on my units, and laughing like crazy about what Tyll Herentz did with Wall of Fame.. LOL.. now its going to be really interesting listening to Utopia!

But I had 2015 version LCD3F oct, and once I got the LCD4 its clear to me which one is the better. 

What hits me here reading your answers is the fact that LCD4 on some amp's crosses 75% on volume knob, and at that stage the sound becomes more warmer due to the technical layout of the volume knob and the amp itself. I have this issue with Oppo HA-1 and mine LCD4. So if you read about some people saying LCD4 might be warmer and lcd3 brighter and more comfortable on lower volume levels it "might", not saying it IS, just might be the fact that on lower volume levels you kind of want the upper levels to be brighter to percieve it as good accurate sound, and on higher volume levels LCD3 might be too loud eg. female vocals, and this is just what I experienced.

The soundstage calmed down and just were "right" with the LCD4! low as high volume levels.

But then again, I have Violetric V281 which is a really really powerfull amp, and I got to review LCD3 oct 2015 and the LCD4 on the same amp and DA converter (at that time an Hegel HD25, now Schiit Yggy).

Sep 5, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #4,511 of 11,995
  Sorry for quoting a week after your initial questions, but I was in Marbella (south spain ) for last month and came back about a week ago and put my headfi hobby on the shelf for almost 2 months now, and oboy its fun to come home and turn on my units, and laughing like crazy about what Tyll Herentz did with Wall of Fame.. LOL.. now its going to be really interesting listening to Utopia!

But I had 2015 version LCD3F oct, and once I got the LCD4 its clear to me which one is the better. 

What hits me here reading your answers is the fact that LCD4 on some amp's crosses 75% on volume knob, and at that stage the sound becomes more warmer due to the technical layout of the volume knob and the amp itself. I have this issue with Oppo HA-1 and mine LCD4. So if you read about some people saying LCD4 might be warmer and lcd3 brighter and more comfortable on lower volume levels it "might", not saying it IS, just might be the fact that on lower volume levels you kind of want the upper levels to be brighter to percieve it as good accurate sound, and on higher volume levels LCD3 might be too loud eg. female vocals, and this is just what I experienced.

The soundstage calmed down and just were "right" with the LCD4! low as high volume levels.

But then again, I have Violetric V281 which is a really really powerfull amp, and I got to review LCD3 oct 2015 and the LCD4 on the same amp and DA converter (at that time an Hegel HD25, now Schiit Yggy).

Do you think your Nordost Heimdall 2 is a big upgrade on your LCD3? Can you recommend buying it?

Sep 5, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #4,512 of 11,995
I always used Moon audio Silver Dragons (balanced) on my LCD3s (both the classic and fazored versions) with fine results. Among other things, it improves the bass nicely, making it more integrated, controlled, and transparent.

Sep 5, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #4,513 of 11,995
  Do you think your Nordost Heimdall 2 is a big upgrade on your LCD3? Can you recommend buying it?

Ohh yeah, the Heimdall 2 is an awesome upgrade from stock. How big of an upgrade it is with LCD4 and the balanced cable that comes with it I dont know, as I have the Single Ended cable from Audeze and my Heimdall 2 is balanced. I also have Nordost Heimdal 0.6m balanced signal cable between the Yggy and V281.

On the other hand, alot of great cable manufacturers out there.

Edit: forgot to mention, sometimes DAC and Amp upgrade is the better option than the cable, depending on what you got already. It seems to me you are already in shape there With Vega and Taurus MK2.

Sep 5, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #4,514 of 11,995
I bought the Heimdall 2 for my LCD-XC, and it was a nice upgrade. I can't tell if it's an upgrade or not with the braided cable that came with my LCD-4, certainly not worth the money since it's a minor difference if at all. I also like the way the braided cable looks and feels compared to the Heimdall 2, so it may be my bias.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back