Audeze LCD-4
Sep 8, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #4,531 of 11,994
I'll be posting my complete comparisons in the next day or two between Utopia and LCD4. So far I'm not impressed with Focals flagship. It's a good headphone, but to me it's not worth the overwhelming praise it receives. Both in technical specifications and to my personal taste these are just "pretty good". Objectively and subjectively these seem less than other top of the lines.

Sorry to be harsh. Look for my fully detailed write up within the next two days.. I encourage everyone to audition before buying.

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #4,532 of 11,994
I can't agree with Dillian just yet since its only been like 2 hours, but I do have a very minor gripe. I like to sit back and put my hands behind my head when I listen, and the cable connectors to the headphone are not angled enough so they poke at my shoulders. Minor gripe, but thought I'd share in case anyone else likes to do the same lol.

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #4,533 of 11,994
I'll be posting my complete comparisons in the next day or two between Utopia and LCD4. So far I'm not impressed with Focals flagship. It's a good headphone, but to me it's not worth the overwhelming praise it receives. Both in technical specifications and to my personal taste these are just "pretty good". Objectively and subjectively these seem less than other top of the lines.

Sorry to be harsh. Look for my fully detailed write up within the next two days.. I encourage everyone to audition before buying.
:eek:

That's literally the first negative impression I've read of the Utopia's. Hope you didn't get a bum pair because you are shipping them to me next!

Sep 9, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #4,534 of 11,994
:eek:

That's literally the first negative impression I've read of the Utopia's. Hope you didn't get a bum pair because you are shipping them to me next!

It is very possible I guess. It just doesn't seem right to be honest. My impressions aren't negative though still. I just think everyone's so forgiving of its faults because this happens to be the flavor of the month. To me it sounds like an HD800 with worse imaging.

Still a nice headphone. Perhaps this one is faulty?

Sep 9, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #4,535 of 11,994
It is very possible I guess. It just doesn't seem right to be honest. My impressions aren't negative though still. I just think everyone's so forgiving of its faults because this happens to be the flavor of the month. To me it sounds like an HD800 with worse imaging.

Or you are just unfazed by the hype surrounding the can. Look forward to your detailed impressions... It'll be helpful for me to decide whether to wait for this can before I pull the trigger on the LCD 4. :)

Sep 9, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #4,536 of 11,994

dissenting opinions are allowed (or should be) :wink:

Sep 9, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #4,537 of 11,994
Burson's are pretty bright sounding amps IMO, being a former Conductor owner myself.

The latest Burson CV2 amps sound more refined than the previous models. I listened to them side by side.
A more relaxed ,refined sound but without losing its acclaimed energy and drive. They did a great job, I believe.

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #4,538 of 11,994
Ah I see. Might have to check them out again if I get the chance. The conductor was my first real amp and I loved it at the time but I always had issue with glare requiring me to turn the amp down, though it paired really well with my lcd2s at the time.

Sep 10, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #4,540 of 11,994

Surely not.  Tons of times I've listened to things and disagreed with everything I've read.  We all hear differently and all want to hear different things and there is no one 'headphone suits all' solution for everyone.  It is absolutely possible that you just don't love it.  That's good news - means you don't have to buy one.  :)

Sep 10, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #4,541 of 11,994
I feel a little self conscious about my quick writeup. After only having a week to listen and a few hours to write I don't think I explained my thought clearly or in detail enough. Maybe this can serve as a decent impression for you guys going forward though. Here is my comparison of the Utopia to some headphones including the LCD-4.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/817662/focal-utopia-loaner-program/15#post_12854436

One thing I didn't mention is the best thing the Utopia does is reproduce Piano extremely well. I might make an edit to that original post or make another post entirely regarding that.

Sep 10, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #4,543 of 11,994
Lcd4 still interests me more

Sep 10, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #4,544 of 11,994
After a lot of consideration I pretty much agree with Dillan. The Utopia is a great headphone, but I'm glad I own the LCD-4 instead of it. When the Utopia was announced a week or so after I bought my LCD-4, I thought "Oh no! What if I just bought the wrong $4000 headphone!" As it turns out, the LCD-4 just fits my preferences better. 

Sep 10, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #4,545 of 11,994
Thanks dillan! Nice to read a balanced review. And it was most useful because I already have theHD800, 009 and HE1000. And I had been pondering the LCD 4 for tonality. Thank you for your impressions. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back