Audeze LCD-4
Aug 22, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #4,456 of 11,995
Listening to the LCD-4s with some Tragically Hip and I am amazed just how magical these headphones are! Gord has never sounded better. Canada basically shut down on Saturday night to watch their last concert and while their story is ending to be such a sad one, the music they left behind was truly a wonderful soundtrack for Canada!

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #4,457 of 11,995
big tragically hip fan here as well and have enjoyed them on my 4's many times

Aug 28, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #4,458 of 11,995
I wanted to ask for some advice on upgrading from a LCD-3F (2015) to a LCD-4.

I am not clear on what the improvements are in the LCD-4 over the LCD-3.

Any improvements in frequency response mean very little to me because I use a parametric equalizer on my LCD-3F anyway to get it where I want so if the LCD-4 is improved in this area it will just need less equalizing- but I find it difficult to believe the end result will be anything of serious substance.  From what I understand they are basically the same beast in this area.

80% of the music I listen to is light rock.  From some posts I have read here from several others, the LCD-3F is either very closely behind the LCD-4 for this genera or possibly even better in one report I read.  I would appreciate clarification on this issue.

Also, I understand that the LCD-4 has a similar warm, creamy weighty midrange like the LCD-3F (2015) but unlike the LCD-3 F (2016). I guess if I have the LCD-3 (2015), it is more similar to the LCD-4.  I would appreciate clarification on this issue as well.

It seems to me that if there are more than subtle improvements in transparency, soundstage, or some other area, it may be worth the upgrade.   Please tell me what they are.  I want to know.

At the moment I am not feeling it is worth the huge chunk of change to upgrade based on my limited analysis.

I would appreciate anyone who has heard both to please chime in and help.

Aug 28, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #4,460 of 11,995
So I was at a meet Saturday where I and another guy both brought our LCD 4 200 ohm headphones. Mine being Cocobolo and his the new wood ( forgot it's name). I/we tested them against each other. We were surprised that
A. Mine were more efficient (would guess by a good db or so) yes, they are both 200 ohm models.
B. Mine had a more midrange energy.
C. His unit had a slightly more extended high end.
Unit to unit variation or changes made by Audeze when they changed the wood type? Thoughts?

Aug 28, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #4,461 of 11,995
I wanted to ask for some advice on upgrading from a LCD-3F (2015) to a LCD-4.

I am not clear on what the improvements are in the LCD-4 over the LCD-3.

Any improvements in frequency response mean very little to me because I use a parametric equalizer on my LCD-3F anyway to get it where I want so if the LCD-4 is improved in this area it will just need less equalizing- but I find it difficult to believe the end result will be anything of serious substance.  From what I understand they are basically the same beast in this area.

80% of the music I listen to is light rock.  From some posts I have read here from several others, the LCD-3F is either very closely behind the LCD-4 for this genera or possibly even better in one report I read.  I would appreciate clarification on this issue.

Also, I understand that the LCD-4 has a similar warm, creamy weighty midrange like the LCD-3F (2015) but unlike the LCD-3 F (2016). I guess if I have the LCD-3 (2015), it is more similar to the LCD-4.  I would appreciate clarification on this issue as well.

It seems to me that if there are more than subtle improvements in transparency, soundstage, or some other area, it may be worth the upgrade.   Please tell me what they are.  I want to know.

At the moment I am not feeling it is worth the huge chunk of change to upgrade based on my limited analysis.

I have the LCD-4 and the LCD- 3f 2015.

To me, the LCD-4 is technically superior. If you break it down by soundstage, transparency, deep bass, etc the LCD-4 wins. If you ask which of the two is more musical and inviting, the answer is not as easy.

I find the LCD-3f to have more "cream" to its midrange and a bit more body to the music overall. With some music (rock), this translates into it being my go to headphone. Also, I find it more full sounding and pleasing at lower listening levels.

I have also heard the 2016 LCD-3f version. I still prefer the 2015 model for it's still "creamier" midrange. They are still very very similar sounding though.

Overall though, I would still, by a small margin, go with the LCD-4.
At the same time I would not pay 4K for it.
I think the LCD-3f 2015 , which can be found used for approximately 1250, is the bargain of a lifetime in the headphone world.

Aug 28, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #4,462 of 11,995
That's interesting, Hifi59, Were the differences in mids energy and treble extension stark or slight? It could of course be due to audeze's inability to produce LCD 4s that are exact clones of one another. If I recall correctly, with other LCDs, even the FR charts that come with the cans will differ slightly. In which case, it may not just be the type of wood used that is the cause of such sonic differences. :)

Aug 28, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #4,463 of 11,995
That's interesting, Hifi59, Were the differences in mids energy and treble extension stark or slight? It could of course be due to audeze's inability to produce LCD 4s that are exact clones of one another. If I recall correctly, with other LCDs, even the FR charts that come with the cans will differ slightly. In which case, it may not just be the type of wood used that is the cause of such sonic differences. :)

I can only say that we both noticed midrange energy and efficiency differences immediately. Not to the point of being stark though, Definite, but slight is the best way I can put it.
Although I and some others preferred the sound from mine, I can see it being totally subjective as to which sounded better or worse.

Aug 29, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #4,464 of 11,995
I have the LCD-4 and the LCD- 3f 2015.

To me, the LCD-4 is technically superior. If you break it down by soundstage, transparency, deep bass, etc the LCD-4 wins. If you ask which of the two is more musical and inviting, the answer is not as easy.

I find the LCD-3f to have more "cream" to its midrange and a bit more body to the music overall. With some music (rock), this translates into it being my go to headphone. Also, I find it more full sounding and pleasing at lower listening levels.

I have also heard the 2016 LCD-3f version. I still prefer the 2015 model for it's still "creamier" midrange. They are still very very similar sounding though.

Overall though, I would still, by a small margin, go with the LCD-4.

At the same time I would not pay 4K for it.

I think the LCD-3f 2015 , which can be found used for approximately 1250, is the bargain of a lifetime in the headphone world.

Thanks for that excellent reply. I am not upgrading a "small improvement" for that kind of money That was very helpful.

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #4,465 of 11,995
I wanted to ask for some advice on upgrading from a LCD-3F (2015) to a LCD-4

I also have the Audeze LCD-3F and have listened to the Audeze LCD-4 on a couple of occasions. The last time was at the Newport Audio Show last June. The important thing with that audition is that the LCD-4 was connected up to the same headphone amp that I use Bryston BHA-1. This helps better in making a comparison.

Here is what my impressions were from the 30minutes or so that I listened:

1. The LCD-4 needs a good bit more power for the same volume levels than the LCD-3F. In good bit more I mean twice the increment turn on the volume knob. However the noise in the room may have warranted this a bit as well. I would get a fairly powerful headphone amp with these as the need more power to come alive than the LCD-3F.

2. The LCD-4 has the same house sound as the 3, but sounds more detailed in the midrange, a bit more extended in the highs, and has more impact and depth in the bottom end.

3. The 4 also had more clarity and transparency throughout the range than the 3F. It is most notable in the midrange where it sounds like a layer or two of noise has been stripped away from the music, allowing subtle details to be heard much more clearly.

4. The LCD-4 sounds a bit faster and more exacting than the LCD-3F. While the 3F sounds a bit more billowy and diffuse, the 4 has much more sharp leading edges.

All this is to be expected since the 4 has a thinner membrane and can react more quickly.

However, I have the LCD-3F and have no plans to upgrade to the LCD-4. There are qualities I really like about my 3s that are not in the 4 that I like. Also to me, the it's like taking something that is already a darn good headphone (LCD-3F) and making it a bit better, but charging twice the price. If you must have the best that Audeze makes then go ahead, to me it's just not worth it. I good do a lot with $4000.00 than spend it on new headphones, when I already have a great pair with the LCD-3Fs. Hope this helps.

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #4,466 of 11,995
Off topic, I'm loving my LCD-4s for the short time that I've owned them. What are some songs that really just stand out for you when listening to these gorgeous cans. I can list a bunch, but for now

Dave Matthews Band - Crush
Eric Clapton - Layla (live acoustic version)

I'm a bit late to the party, but the following female soloists are worth a listen:

Tove Lo:
Cool Girl: http://tidal.com/track/63406413
Habits: http://tidal.com/track/36743627

Katie Melua:
Wonderful Life: http://tidal.com/track/50248152
Nine Million Bicycles: http://tidal.com/track/35727857

Rumer:
It Might Be You: http://tidal.com/track/50372762
Butterfly: http://tidal.com/track/48435603

Daniela Andrade:
La Vie En Rose: http://tidal.com/track/40900545
Crazy: http://tidal.com/track/25254616

- Dave

Aug 29, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #4,467 of 11,995
I also have the Audeze LCD-3F and have listened to the Audeze LCD-4 on a couple of occasions. The last time was at the Newport Audio Show last June. The important thing with that audition is that the LCD-4 was connected up to the same headphone amp that I use Bryston BHA-1. This helps better in making a comparison.

Here is what my impressions were from the 30minutes or so that I listened:

1. The LCD-4 needs a good bit more power for the same volume levels than the LCD-3F. In good bit more I mean twice the increment turn on the volume knob. However the noise in the room may have warranted this a bit as well. I would get a fairly powerful headphone amp with these as the need more power to come alive than the LCD-3F.

2. The LCD-4 has the same house sound as the 3, but sounds more detailed in the midrange, a bit more extended in the highs, and has more impact and depth in the bottom end.

3. The 4 also had more clarity and transparency throughout the range than the 3F. It is most notable in the midrange where it sounds like a layer or two of noise has been stripped away from the music, allowing subtle details to be heard much more clearly.

4. The LCD-4 sounds a bit faster and more exacting than the LCD-3F. While the 3F sounds a bit more billowy and diffuse, the 4 has much more sharp leading edges.

All this is to be expected since the 4 has a thinner membrane and can react more quickly.

However, I have the LCD-3F and have no plans to upgrade to the LCD-4. There are qualities I really like about my 3s that are not in the 4 that I like. Also to me, the it's like taking something that is already a darn good headphone (LCD-3F) and making it a bit better, but charging twice the price. If you must have the best that Audeze makes then go ahead, to me it's just not worth it. I good do a lot with $4000.00 than spend it on new headphones, when I already have a great pair with the LCD-3Fs. Hope this helps.

Very helpful.  Thanks....

Aug 29, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #4,468 of 11,995
Bottom line as one who had the 3f's and owns the 4's......if you do not have a real powerful high quality amp available do not bother with the 4's because the 3's are much more efficient and will serve your purpose better most likely....if on the other hand you do possess a serious amp/dac combo and have the cash it is a no brainer from my perspective.......the 4's have a better soundstage,are more detailed and the best way to describe it is they improve upon most everything the 3's do well already.....again,do not bother if you plan to listen through a middile of the road portable amp but if you have a serious desktop rig i say go for it...highly recommended!Best can's i have heard as of now

Aug 29, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #4,469 of 11,995

I'm a bit late to the party, but the following female soloists are worth a listen:

Tove Lo:
Cool Girl: http://tidal.com/track/63406413
Habits: http://tidal.com/track/36743627

Katie Melua:
Wonderful Life: http://tidal.com/track/50248152
Nine Million Bicycles: http://tidal.com/track/35727857

Rumer:
It Might Be You: http://tidal.com/track/50372762
Butterfly: http://tidal.com/track/48435603

- Dave

Thanks for the contribution! 

Aug 29, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #4,470 of 11,995
Bottom line as one who had the 3f's and owns the 4's......if you do not have a real powerful high quality amp available do not bother with the 4's because the 3's are much more efficient and will serve your purpose better most likely....if on the other hand you do possess a serious amp/dac combo and have the cash it is a no brainer from my perspective.......the 4's have a better soundstage,are more detailed and the best way to describe it is they improve upon most everything the 3's do well already.....again,do not bother if you plan to listen through a middile of the road portable amp but if you have a serious desktop rig i say go for it...highly recommended!Best can's i have heard as of now

What your saying isn't really different than what I said above. Break down the LCD-4s attributes and it wins, no doubt.
That does not always translate into the "most" engaging, seductive, inviting listening experience across all genres of music. I myself, have been listening to the LCD-3f several times a week for 18 months now and the LCD-4 since early March. To me ,the LCD-3f have a bit more midrange energy along with its infamous "creamy" sound signature that is almost always engaging,especially with rock music. My amp is plenty powerful (Burson CV2+) to easily drive both headphones to their fullest. Also, as I stated above, the LCD-3 is more fuller sounding and often more engaging than the 4 at lower listening volumes. There is simply something about the 3s sound that speaks to me and many many others and no other headphone can take that away. Having said that, overall, I still prefer the LCD-4 for its technical prowess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back