Audeze LCD-4
Aug 14, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #4,427 of 12,022
Since this new cable costs $699 on its own is there any way to buy the LCD-4 without it? Is consider a purchase at $3300 but not $4000. I've already got a Comp4 cable too that I would end up using anyway

Aug 14, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #4,428 of 12,022
Since this new cable costs $699 on its own is there any way to buy the LCD-4 without it? Is consider a purchase at $3300 but not $4000. I've already got a Comp4 cable too that I would end up using anyway

Don't think it works like that, I doubt they put the full 699 price for the cable in the retail cost of the LCD-4

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #4,429 of 12,022
a cable that retails for 699.00 may cost 50 dollars to make...cables and accessories are the highest profit margin items.....

Aug 14, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #4,430 of 12,022
a cable that retails for 699.00 may cost 50 dollars to make...cables and accessories are the highest profit margin items.....
Yup. Just like popcorn and soda at the movie theater.

Aug 15, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #4,431 of 12,022

Yup. Just like popcorn and soda at the movie theater.

or a bake potato at a steak house lol....one should never equate the retail price of an item with the wholesale cost

Aug 16, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #4,433 of 12,022
I'm having a great time comparing these headphones. They all have their own lovely characteristics. The HD800S has rounded out my collection well. Maybe some day I'll look into the Focal Utopia......some day. The LCD-4 is warm and sumptuous. 

Aug 16, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #4,434 of 12,022
Nice trio! Now you just need an electrostat splashed in there!

I think the 800S is a perfect companion for the LCD4. Using my McIntosh as an amp, it was one of the best listening experiences I have ever had swapping between the two.

Aug 16, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #4,435 of 12,022
i swapped between my LCD-4 and my 800s and i found the 800s to be too bright and a bit harsh...perhaps it was the particular ablum but boy do i love the sound of the 4's......i happen to be a big fan of the 800s but listening back to back simply was no contest for me......

Aug 16, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #4,436 of 12,022
Nice trio! Now you just need an electrostat splashed in there!

I think the 800S is a perfect companion for the LCD4. Using my McIntosh as an amp, it was one of the best listening experiences I have ever had swapping between the two.

I too was rotating those headphones every few nights, along with LCD-3f and Hifiman HE-1K.
I liked the 800S much better than the 800. Having said that, after months of nightly listening, I am convinced that I am simply an Audeze whore and somewhat of a Hifiman whore too. I just gravitate to these headphones for their "long term " fatigue free listening. Their is something about their sound that is very inviting and yummy over the line run. The Sennheisers just didn't quite pass muster with this test. It takes months of listening for one(me) to realize this and so I traded my 800S for a new LCD-X 2016 model. I also prefer the craftsmanship of the LCD line, weight and all.

Aug 16, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #4,437 of 12,022
I've heard the LCD 4 being called more 'reference' than the dark LCD 2 / 3 predating it, but now there are also posts saying it's warm and sumptuous. So is the LCD 4 still very 'Audeze' in sound, perhaps with a lush, warm and full midrange? Are vocals forward or laidback? Is bass vicious and extended or more 'reference and polite'?  

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #4,438 of 12,022
I too was rotating those headphones every few nights, along with LCD-3f and Hifiman HE-1K.
I liked the 800S much better than the 800. Having said that, after months of nightly listening, I am convinced that I am simply an Audeze whore and somewhat of a Hifiman whore too. I just gravitate to these headphones for their "long term " fatigue free listening. Their is something about their sound that is very inviting and yummy over the line run. The Sennheisers just didn't quite pass muster with this test. It takes months of listening for one(me) to realize this and so I traded my 800S for a new LCD-X 2016 model. I also prefer the craftsmanship of the LCD line, weight and all.

Seems to me like you are a planar kinda guy.. I'm right there with you. I really like the 800S (more than the original 800).. But the X is even more enjoyable!

I've heard the LCD 4 being called more 'reference' than the dark LCD 2 / 3 predating it, but now there are also posts saying it's warm and sumptuous. So is the LCD 4 still very 'Audeze' in sound, perhaps with a lush, warm and full midrange? Are vocals forward or laidback? Is bass vicious and extended or more 'reference and polite'?  

You might enjoy my review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/audeze-lcd-4/reviews/16525

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #4,439 of 12,022
@Dillan I did enjoy your review! But frankly the price is very expensive and stock is also very limited where I live. Plus you mentioned at the end that you were 'easy on them' and that they are 'quite flawed', and that's a bit worrying. I see you have the K10 as well, I have a K10 incoming and love it for its coherency and also warm and lush mids, is the LCD 4 'sort of' a blown up K10 experience? I have also got my eyes on the Ether Flow for less than half the MSRP, being much less demanding to drive and much more comfortable, but the sound signature should be more neutral and not really the same thing. 

Aug 17, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #4,440 of 12,022

I don't own these 'phones but I would say from the times that I have heard them, that the 3 is more of a reference type sound compared to the dark 4's.  Abyss is often said to have some of the best bass of all headphones and when I heard them next to the 4's, the two were pretty close IMO.  The 3 is considerably more lite-on in the low end to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back