Audeze LCD-4
Mar 2, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #2,551 of 11,995
The subbass in the HE-1000 had an overly plastic tone, the mids were dry, and the highs were scattered. I'd take the troublesome LCD-4 anyday over it, just IMHO.

Mar 2, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #2,552 of 11,995
The subbass in the HE-1000 had an overly plastic tone, the mids were dry, and the highs were scattered. I'd take the troublesome LCD-4 anyday over it, just IMHO.

Clearly you havent heard it with proper amplification if that was your experience. Lcd4 is a superb headphone, but i dont think it is relevant to compare with he1000 as they are very different.

Most headphones in the high end, with exception of a handful have specific strengths and weaknesses, i think i have owned or own almost all of them. This whole 'x is better than y' seems so counter productive to me and derails so many threads on this forum (i dont mean you, just an observation.).

Mar 2, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #2,553 of 11,995

I'd take LCD-X, LCD-3F, HE-6 over HE-1000, which for me isn't engaging enough (too soft sounding), at least on the setups I've heard it on. However, I don't think that the setups were at fault there.

What I love about LCD-4 is the balance audeze managed to achieve between technical sound and musicality. They are very tactile with strong and fast transients. The guitar plucks are just amazing. You can hear the fingers touching the chords, the strong attack of the pluck, and incredibly detailed vibration of the chords. They're also very clean and transparent. No sign of any grain, it's just you and the music. LCD-4 shows excellent transparency. Sometimes, the sound is scary real.

Don't get me started about the voices. You can hear the singer touching his lips, moving his tongue in the mouth, taking breaths, etc. The voice is incredibly well textured and flowing. 

The soundstage isn't as wide and tall as on hd800, but it has excellent depth, and sounds quite natural to my ears. The details are just amazing, and I can say that I've heard many occasions where LCD-4 were more detailed than HD800 (except for the treble region). Also the dynamic range is awesome. Listened to some opera and I almost fell of the chair when the singer suddenly raised his voice. 

I can't get decent sleep lately. Since I've received them, every night I find myself at 4:00 am with LCD-4 on my head with the same thought I've had for hours, "This is the last song, then I go to bed!".

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #2,554 of 11,995
  I'd take LCD-X, LCD-3F, HE-6 over HE-1000, which for me isn't engaging enough (too soft sounding), at least on the setups I've heard it on. However, I don't think that the setups were at fault there.

What I love about LCD-4 is the balance audeze managed to achieve between technical sound and musicality. They are very tactile with strong and fast transients. The guitar plucks are just amazing. You can hear the fingers touching the chords, the strong attack of the pluck, and incredibly detailed vibration of the chords. They're also very clean and transparent. No sign of any grain, it's just you and the music. LCD-4 shows excellent transparency. Sometimes, the sound is scary real.

Don't get me started about the voices. You can hear the singer touching his lips, moving his tongue in the mouth, taking breaths, etc. The voice is incredibly well textured and flowing. 

The soundstage isn't as wide and tall as on hd800, but it has excellent depth, and sounds quite natural to my ears. The details are just amazing, and I can say that I've heard many occasions where LCD-4 were more detailed than HD800 (except for the treble region). Also the dynamic range is awesome. Listened to some opera and I almost fell of the chair when the singer suddenly raised his voice. 

I can't get decent sleep lately. Since I've received them, every night I find myself at 4:00 am with LCD-4 on my head with the same thought I've had for hours, "This is the last song, then I go to bed!".

mind passing them around so we can all get a taste of the juice your on :wink:

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #2,555 of 11,995
Clearly you havent heard it with proper amplification if that was your experience. Lcd4 is a superb headphone, but i dont think it is relevant to compare with he1000 as they are very different.

Most headphones in the high end, with exception of a handful have specific strengths and weaknesses, i think i have owned or own almost all of them. This whole 'x is better than y' seems so counter productive to me and derails so many threads on this forum (i dont mean you, just an observation.).

No, that's a totally fair thing to say. I heard them both out of a Schiit TOTL stack from Peter from DHC. Great gear. I'm just very biased to the warmer Audeze house sound, a fact I've never really made attempts to hide from
tongue.gif

Mar 3, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #2,556 of 11,995
Compared LCD-X and LCD-4 again yesterday, the X was considerably more boxed in, everything was highly energetic and intimate, with a bit of grain. The 4 on the other hand had a significantly wider soundstage, and was more laid-back, relaxed, less edgy and more natural. Some forward vocals tracks sounded very lush and close with the X, but it was heavenly at first but almost too much after a while, and does cause some fatigue. The tight soundstage also meant that it's not as versatile with expansive music. The 4 sounded richer, fuller, much more natural, had better timber and realism and was more soothing to listen to regarding prolonged usage. The 4's headband clamped better but the X was lighter overall and less bearing on the head and ears. 

Mar 3, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #2,558 of 11,995
  Compared LCD-X and LCD-4 again yesterday, the X was considerably more boxed in, everything was highly energetic and intimate, with a bit of grain. The 4 on the other hand had a significantly wider soundstage, and was more laid-back, relaxed, less edgy and more natural. Some forward vocals tracks sounded very lush and close with the X, but it was heavenly at first but almost too much after a while, and does cause some fatigue. The tight soundstage also meant that it's not as versatile with expansive music. The 4 sounded richer, fuller, much more natural, had better timber and realism and was more soothing to listen to regarding prolonged usage. The 4's headband clamped better but the X was lighter overall and less bearing on the head and ears. 

My same experience when comparing the LCD-3 to the LCD-X.  The X being energetic and the 3 being more lush.  Would imagine the 4 takes the 3 to a higher level.

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #2,559 of 11,995

Seriously I have been naturally burning them in and they have lighten up a little but they are darker than any of the fazored LCD series I have listened to

Good! :)

Sweet. I love the darker presentation of my pre fazor LCD-2. Mine should arrive today pending any issues with Fedex but I'm out of town all weekend and don't have my GS-X mk2 set up at the moment (rearranging things in the house). Gah!

Mar 3, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #2,560 of 11,995
So I have been blinding testing between my LCD-3's and LCD-4's now for a couple of days. I have gotta say the LCD-4's have made a lot of my other cans seems brighter. They have definitely made my LCD-3's brighter. But I still get this closed headphone or in a can feeling sometimes with the LCD-4's. It's weird. Every once in a while it's like bane from batman has taken over any of the male vocals and ripped them apart as if he's at happy hour time. That's the only why I can describe it. I honestly do t know what to do her. Should I get rid of my lcd-3's that I just upgraded the earpads to the black Lambskin leather and the Audeze Carbon fiber headband or stick with the LCD-$$$$'s

I really need to get my hands on the LCD-X's to compare

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #2,561 of 11,995
I find the
So I have been blinding testing between my LCD-3's and LCD-4's now for a couple of days. I have gotta say the LCD-4's have made a lot of my other cans seems brighter. They have definitely made my LCD-3's brighter. But I still get this closed headphone or in a can feeling sometimes with the LCD-4's. It's weird. Every once in a while it's like bane from batman has taken over any of the male vocals and ripped them apart as if he's at happy hour time. That's the only why I can describe it. I honestly do t know what to do her. Should I get rid of my lcd-3's that I just upgraded the earpads to the black Lambskin leather and the Audeze Carbon fiber headband or stick with the LCD-$$$$'s

I really need to get my hands on the LCD-X's to compare

I find the X to be brighter than the 3 but it would be interesting comparison.

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #2,563 of 11,995
That's stinks for me I couldn't use them then

You need to listen to X's. You may be hearing the glare sound they can give off and just calling it bright. There's a big difference. I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm questioning your experience but the X's do deserve a fair shake.
I don't think the 3's are bright at all but they can definitely be a bit glarey and shouty as with the 2f's which is a bizarre mix given that they a very lush sounding headphone.
The X's (at the least pair I had) are not glarey in the slightest but the treble IS more pronounced.

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #2,564 of 11,995
I personally have to be careful with the treble. Cause of the Tinnitus I have in both ears. If I start A listening session and the highs are just too rich by just a couple db's. It will cause a migraine. Honestly I am trying to hold onto this hobby as close I can but I think I am going have to make a decision on to keep going or to save my ears.

I want to try the X's but I have a feeling they will be like the XC's

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #2,565 of 11,995
I personally have to be careful with the treble. Cause of the Tinnitus I have in both ears. If I start A listening session and the highs are just too rich by just a couple db's. It will cause a migraine. Honestly I am trying to hold onto this hobby as close I can but I think I am going have to make a decision on to keep going or to save my ears.

I want to try the X's but I have a feeling they will be like the XC's
Ok. It might be best to just completely ignore what I've just said and buy yourself a pair of HD650's and a tube amp lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back