Audeze LCD-4
Mar 3, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #2,566 of 11,994
I wouldn't mind owning an x to compliment my other tastes in music that the lcd3pf doesn't cope well with but if I only had one pick it would be the 3 every time. To me the driver of the 3 is easily perceived as being the better driver. Now if they made an x with the detail and microdynamics the 3 has then I would be all over that.....if it didn't have fazors

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #2,567 of 11,994
If you are sensitive to highs, try a Grado PS1000e. There is a sweetness to it in the upper mids and the highs which are nice and full but not rolled off. The e series is a real departure for Grado and can surprise those who have preconceived notions about Grado and it's historical reputation. Even a darker headphone can have some fatiguing excitement with certain musical events. The Grado e-phones I have heard (like the PS) are not painful with anything.

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #2,568 of 11,994
I personally have to be careful with the treble. Cause of the Tinnitus I have in both ears. If I start A listening session and the highs are just too rich by just a couple db's. It will cause a migraine. Honestly I am trying to hold onto this hobby as close I can but I think I am going have to make a decision on to keep going or to save my ears.

I want to try the X's but I have a feeling they will be like the XC's

do what's right for your ears

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #2,570 of 11,994
I too had tinnitus and found that when I had it, planar magnetic headphones just simply produced too much sound. Just the amount of body they produce hurt my ears regardless of the headphones treble response. Luckily it's gone away now but I would suggest at leasing giving a 650 a shot. It might not win you over in the technical aspects of what can be done with a headphone but it will win you over with how musical it can be when driven properly.

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #2,573 of 11,994
I too had tinnitus and found that when I had it, planar magnetic headphones just simply produced too much sound. Just the amount of body they produce hurt my ears regardless of the headphones treble response. Luckily it's gone away now but I would suggest at leasing giving a 650 a shot. It might not win you over in the technical aspects of what can be done with a headphone but it will win you over with how musical it can be when driven properly.

I have had my Tinnitus for 8 years now but recently started getting louder. On the 650's, I have actually been thinking about it. I really do Like the new HD800S. and thats kinda weird since they are a little brighter but in a good way

Mar 3, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #2,576 of 11,994
  If you are sensitive to highs, try a Grado PS1000e. There is a sweetness to it in the upper mids and the highs which are nice and full but not rolled off. The e series is a real departure for Grado and can surprise those who have preconceived notions about Grado and it's historical reputation. Even a darker headphone can have some fatiguing excitement with certain musical events. The Grado e-phones I have heard (like the PS) are not painful with anything.

Do you find the non-e PS to be less smooth in the upper mids/highs than the e version? I'm asking because the non-e is usually described as being warmer and richer than the more neutral e.

Mar 3, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #2,577 of 11,994
Well, I have the RP010B, but the reviews and posts here from a few years back talk about several of the smaller ones, like the RPX38 (formerly the RPX35). I have not heard the smaller ones. I went to Rudistor after having glare/fatigue in the highs with several solid state amps,
and Rudi claims that his amps are tubey-sounding, and it was true for me. Mine is warmer than my tube amps, but like I said has great tight controlled friendly bass. Stereophile and some other mags mentioned them over the years.
I have tried a few other solid state amps from well known names, and I like the Rudi amps the best.  I too am very annoyed by shrillness or glare. The Rudistor was the only amp that could deal with glare on my old Sony bass-light R10s.
I like my amp a lot with Hifiman, Mr. Speakers Ether, Grado, and Audeze.

Mar 3, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #2,578 of 11,994
  Do you find the non-e PS to be less smooth in the upper mids/highs than the e version? I'm asking because the non-e is usually described as being warmer and richer than the more neutral e.

Yes I do. I find the e as warmer/richer in both the PS and GS where  I owned both versions. I sold the original PS. The GH1 is nice too, as it seems to have the e-sound to me.

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #2,580 of 11,994
  How would you compare the sound signatures of PS1000 and LCD-4?

Have you seen the distorsions on PS1000? http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoPS1000.pdf

And they cost 1500$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back