Audeze LCD-4
Feb 28, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #2,521 of 11,995
does your definition of accurate = losing warmth, gettin brighter n drier and losing that audeze bass, mids and smooth treble? that's a big meh, cos i liked the 100ohm version a LOT

They definitely do not lose the warmth. I don't they they are bright at all honestly and are kinda dark. But Im not a professional lol

Feb 28, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #2,523 of 11,995
  does your definition of accurate = losing warmth, gettin brighter n drier and losing that audeze bass, mids and smooth treble? that's a big meh, cos i liked the 100ohm version a LOT

Thinner diaphragm, the leaning out of the sound is technically more accurate, the air pressure absorption layer, not sure if they fixed the headband on all 200ohm, supposedly more reliable.  I think that's about it.

so how would u compare the 200ohm 4s vs the X john? short impressions? what do u like better on the 200hm 4s vs the X n vice versa? 

Feb 28, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #2,524 of 11,995

so how would u compare the 200ohm 4s vs the X john? short impressions? what do u like better on the 200hm 4s vs the X n vice versa? 

I don't have the 200ohm.  I'm going by the e-mail description that Audeze gave me.  I've had the LCD-X and the LCD-3 and now the LCD-4 100ohm.  The LCD-4 100 ohm strikes me as a similar tonal balance to the LCD-3.  I happen to prefer the reduced midrange (arguably more flat) of the LCD-X.  I'm hoping the 200ohm is the LCD-X on steroids.  I wouldn't know though...  Can't wait for them to start calling the 100ohm owners for the update.  I can't imagine any Audeze sounding like an HD800 - shudders..

Feb 28, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #2,526 of 11,995
I kinda like the HD800S' though. They are the only bright cans that I can stand without my tinnitus getting all worked up

Yeah - I want to give those a try.  I might get a pair later this year to complement the 4s.

Feb 28, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #2,527 of 11,995
I kinda like the HD800S' though. They are the only bright cans that I can stand without my tinnitus getting all worked up

oleWhiskey - are the 4s opening up a bit for you yet?

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #2,529 of 11,995
For those who are interested in modifying the leather strap on your existing carbon fiber headband (until the updated version arrives, or forever, whatever your inclination)....

This is my own solution, NOT an official sanctioned method.

Here's what I did (and what I'd do differently if I could do it again):

1) Remove the headband by taking out the screws on the tops of the yoke rods, then pull the rods out of the adjustment blocks.
2) Remove the four screws holding the leather band on one side:

3) Cut off about 3-4mm of the leather at the end (I only cut off 2mm as pictured, but I think more would have been better to get the new screw holes farther from the old holes):

4) Replace the leather under the plate and put the screws back in (you can poke new holes with an awl first):

5) Repeat on the other side, put the yoke rods back on and listen to your favorite record.... Aaahhh, isn't that better?

Here are before and after shots of my headband:

I hope this is helpful-- at least until you can get the real-deal, correctly made headband strap.

Mar 1, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #2,530 of 11,995
Just received my new pair of LCD-3's today and was able to put on my extra Carbon headband that I purchased ◕ ‿ - Also added Black Lambskin Leather Pads. Why oh Why did Audeze put Brown on these Beautiful pieces of art will be a mystery. Did the Mod with this headband, ( THI$$$ was nerve wrecking , Might I say ) I'm not touching my LCD-4 headband lol. Not until I decide if I keep them or not. But here are the pictures.

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #2,535 of 11,995
Heard the LCD 4's today.

In short:

Everyone should take the opportunity to hear them.
They sound very natural and are a clear technical step up from the rest of the line.
They image incredibly well imo; instrument separation specifically was one of the best I heard today. Very effortless and not forced; as if it's all supposed to happen - very hard to articulate to be honest. Just damn impressive.
I prefer the x's because they have a much harder hitting presentation.
They are TOO mid centric for my tastes; it was a little overkill, even next to the 3's.
They are too heavy.
I was fortunate enough to unbox them and the new Audeze box looked very nice and the white gloves you get inside make you feel like you're about to commit a murder, which should appeal to some of the weirdos that frequent this site (starting with me).
I got a hotspot from the headband within about 15 minutes.
The wood they use is beautiful.
The new gap between the cup and earpad is a bit of an eyesore but no biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back