Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Oct 4, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #5,311 of 7,335
I haven't heard the Lyr 3 but for me the Lyr 2 with stock tubes was a stinker with the LCD-2C. I would go solid state all the way with the LCD-2C from the few amps I tried with mine so far. They're surprisingly easy to drive well.
Then I guess it's a good thing I too am in the Jot.

Using reveal plug in as well.

Oct 7, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #5,312 of 7,335
2C sounds better out of a SS due to bass cleanliness. I find SS amps to be in general less refined but more aggressive slightly metalic which is what I'd describe the LCD-2C more aggressive and dynamic slightly metalic timbre in the treble due to the peaks. The HD650 is a headphone that shines with Tubes being a smoother more refined mid centric headphone with a lush mid range which is how I'd describe high end tube amps.

The 2C also doesn't scale in my experience and tend to reach their potential easily.

Oct 7, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #5,313 of 7,335
Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for the feedback. Good to know. I currently use my LCD2C with my JDS Labs EL Stack (EL Amp + EL DAC). Despite changing the RCA interconnects and USB cable, I'm still having some issues with the EL Amp.

Also, I find that my LCD2C has some glare in the top end. Accordingly, do you guys think that my logic is sound in debating the following options:
  • THX 789 + Airist R2R - would R2R offset the brightness of the 789?
  • Jotunheim w/ Multibit module - quite popular here it seems. Would multibit help offset the top end glare from LCD2C + Jotunheim in balanced?
  • iFI Micro iDSD Black Label - Burr Brown dac may smooth out top end glare?
  • Burson Conductor V3 - heard ESS DACs are bright but also heard Buson is generally a warmer sound. What do you guys think about the tonality and match? Separately, I love the fact it has a mic input for my gaming needs.
Thanks again!

Oct 7, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #5,314 of 7,335
Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for the feedback. Good to know. I currently use my LCD2C with my JDS Labs EL Stack (EL Amp + EL DAC). Despite changing the RCA interconnects and USB cable, I'm still having some issues with the EL Amp.

Also, I find that my LCD2C has some glare in the top end. Accordingly, do you guys think that my logic is sound in debating the following options:
  • THX 789 + Airist R2R - would R2R offset the brightness of the 789?
  • Jotunheim w/ Multibit module - quite popular here it seems. Would multibit help offset the top end glare from LCD2C + Jotunheim in balanced?
  • iFI Micro iDSD Black Label - Burr Brown dac may smooth out top end glare?
  • Burson Conductor V3 - heard ESS DACs are bright but also heard Buson is generally a warmer sound. What do you guys think about the tonality and match? Separately, I love the fact it has a mic input for my gaming needs.
Thanks again!
The glare is related to the treble behaviour. Some tracks won't show it as well depending on the mastering but sadly without EQ your source gear won't help. The 2C has it strengths but sadly glaring, metallic timbre are something the 2C carries it's hard to get a one headphone fits all.

for me personally

2C = Speed, dynamics, bass.
HD650 = Vocals, refinement, timbre
Verum = More refined LCD-2 taking strengths of both but not quite the resolution of say the top headphones but best planar timbre by far.

Case in point, There's always trade offs! I had the LCD-4 which was amazing in s lot ofareaz but still didn't have the right timbre and mod range presence but fixed the glaring of the cheaper LCDs but 4k for it was ridiculous.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #5,315 of 7,335
I wish the mods were as eager in other threads as they are in the 2C thread deleting posts.
In other threads it is allowed to speak about amplifiers and other audio equipment, even personal experiences which are not necessarily audio related. These more liberal threads to my experience are from the high-end audio league (Empyrean, TT2).
To me it seems the more affordable thread we are in, the more strict the mods are. Protecting relatively new members I guess?

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #5,316 of 7,335
2C sounds better out of a SS due to bass cleanliness. I find SS amps to be in general less refined but more aggressive slightly metalic which is what I'd describe the LCD-2C more aggressive and dynamic slightly metalic timbre in the treble due to the peaks. The HD650 is a headphone that shines with Tubes being a smoother more refined mid centric headphone with a lush mid range which is how I'd describe high end tube amps.

The 2C also doesn't scale in my experience and tend to reach their potential easily.
Agreed love the 650 but I don't have a high end tube to really make it musical and lush. I'd like a way firefly

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #5,317 of 7,335
The glare is related to the treble behaviour. Some tracks won't show it as well depending on the mastering but sadly without EQ your source gear won't help. The 2C has it strengths but sadly glaring, metallic timbre are something the 2C carries it's hard to get a one headphone fits all.

for me personally

2C = Speed, dynamics, bass.
HD650 = Vocals, refinement, timbre
Verum = More refined LCD-2 taking strengths of both but not quite the resolution of say the top headphones but best planar timbre by far.

Case in point, There's always trade offs! I had the LCD-4 which was amazing in s lot ofareaz but still didn't have the right timbre and mod range presence but fixed the glaring of the cheaper LCDs but 4k for it was ridiculous.

That's really strange. I would never describe the 2C using the word "metallic" even with the original pads, though there are some treble issues. Those issues are completely fixed with the Dekoni pads that were mentioned earlier, though.

In fact, having spent more time with the 2C/dekoni, I must say these headphones have turned into a totally awesome all-rounder with the pad switch. I ended up deciding against getting a Hifiman Ananda to complement the 2C and sold my T1. That's how awesome I've found the 2C/dekoni, and somehow it seems to just get better as the weeks go by. Additionally, they sure do respond nicely to EQ and good amping. I wasn't expecting there to be such unleashed potential - they really do seem to like power. There is lovely synergy with the 2C and Vincent's hybrid tube. I feel there might be even more hidden potential that could be unleashed with proper EQ. I should probably try and learn more about EQ-use in general, and see what I find.

I can't wait until I can afford to order the THX AAA 887 & TA-20. It should be really interesting to see how they work with the 2C/dekoni. I already heard the TA-20 with a 2C earlier for a bit and it was simply awesome. It'll be interesting to see how the 2C responds to a super clean amp like the 887. Man it's an awesome hobby, but so damn expensive for a student. :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #5,318 of 7,335
That's really strange. I would never describe the 2C using the word "metallic" even with the original pads, though there are some treble issues. Those issues are completely fixed with the Dekoni pads that were mentioned earlier, though.

In fact, having spent more time with the 2C/dekoni, I must say these headphones have turned into a totally awesome all-rounder with the pad switch. I ended up deciding against getting a Hifiman Ananda to complement the 2C and sold my T1. That's how awesome I've found the 2C/dekoni, and somehow it seems to just get better as the weeks go by. Additionally, they sure do respond nicely to EQ and good amping. I wasn't expecting there to be such unleashed potential - they really do seem to like power. There is lovely synergy with the 2C and Vincent's hybrid tube. I feel there might be even more hidden potential that could be unleashed with proper EQ. I should probably try and learn more about EQ-use in general, and see what I find.

I can't wait until I can afford to order the THX AAA 887 & TA-20. It should be really interesting to see how they work with the 2C/dekoni. I already heard the TA-20 with a 2C earlier for a bit and it was simply awesome. It'll be interesting to see how the 2C responds to a super clean amp like the 887. Man it's an awesome hobby, but so damn expensive for a student. :beyersmile:
Considered that tube as well as a pre amp for my jotunhiem
But I'd need to get a DAC then
As I'm currently using the schiit multi bit in the Jot.

Oct 9, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #5,319 of 7,335

It's not like an obvious metalic timbre like the Elear it's slight but does stand out to me. Think of it like notes in whiskies headphones have their characteristics some more obvious some not. The 2C is more of a drier, grainy but quick presentation so I paired it with my Black Widow and it sounds very good but still has its inherent issues. The Dekoni pads did improve some aspects but for me they took away what made it a good headphone and that's the low bass which drops off with the Dekonis but that's always going to be the case with cloth pads but it does improve all over areas. The best pads are the old Audeze Vegan pads. They got the sound closer to the HD650 with more upper mid presence and the benefits of the cleaner bass.

Oct 9, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #5,320 of 7,335
It's not like an obvious metalic timbre like the Elear it's slight but does stand out to me. Think of it like notes in whiskies headphones have their characteristics some more obvious some not. The 2C is more of a drier, grainy but quick presentation so I paired it with my Black Widow and it sounds very good but still has its inherent issues. The Dekoni pads did improve some aspects but for me they took away what made it a good headphone and that's the low bass which drops off with the Dekonis but that's always going to be the case with cloth pads but it does improve all over areas. The best pads are the old Audeze Vegan pads. They got the sound closer to the HD650 with more upper mid presence and the benefits of the cleaner bass.

Hi do you mean the 2C still sounds metallic paired with a Black Widow? Did you use it with Reveal plugin?

Oct 9, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #5,322 of 7,335
Help a bud out please..................how do you remove the pads on these? I'm hesitant to destroy something but have a new pair of Vegan's I'd like to try.

Oct 9, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #5,323 of 7,335
Help a bud out please..................how do you remove the pads on these? I'm hesitant to destroy something but have a new pair of Vegan's I'd like to try.
You just have to pull them off as gently as possible, and try not to put pressure on the driver when you do it. Don't try to rip them off quickly, try to use steady force. If you do it slowly and carefully the pads should be fine.

It's a pretty crappy system for such expensive headphones, but you gotta live with it. Audeze should really develop a proper attachment system. Something like a magnetic system would be great, but even something like what Hifiman or AKG use would be a massive improvement. We'll see what, if anything, happens.

Oct 9, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #5,324 of 7,335
Hi do you mean the 2C still sounds metallic paired with a Black Widow? Did you use it with Reveal plugin?
I haven't used the reveal plug in much. Yes it still has the off timbre with the Black Widow but it does sound better and adds a bit more body to the other areas. The Black Widow is a good paring although I wouldn't recommend buying it just for the 2C as it's rather expensive and rare and there's not much of a resolution bump at all coming from mid ranged gear. I originally bought it to pair with my HD800 and Utopia I had at the time as they really benefited because those two headphones scale really well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back