Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #1,426 of 7,335
Welcome to head-fi @pridetwo. Thanks for your effort with your first post. LCD-2C and Mojo must sound very nice.

Thanks! I've been a lurker for a while, but am happy to share this setup with a deeper review of the sound once I get more listening time in. Definitely my favorite way to listen to music so far, the sound is just a ton of fun.

One day I'll dig my Kingsound KS-H3/M-20 setup out of my parent's house and do some posting about it. Had a hum issue that I think was related to the ground getting some feedback, and was playing through a terrible ION record player. Now I can hook up the mojo to my phone instead and just use airplane mode, then remember to use a better surge protector. OK now I'm excited about that one again.

Jan 3, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #1,427 of 7,335
  • They are dark and cloudy. I like to think of them as cumulonimbus clouds. Dark, heavy, cloudy, fluffy, warning of impending showers perhaps. I detected a substantial veil on these when I first started using them, especially after using Focal Clears for a few days prior.

Interesting you say this, because after applying your EQ settings, I feel like they are even darker, heavier, and fluffy. Did you do that on purpose? You like that signature?

EDIT: But I must say, you did a good job with this EQ. It makes these so much more smooth and easy to listen to.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #1,429 of 7,335
Well...just checked the Audeze site and the LCD2C is listed as "Out of Stock"

I noticed that the price had remained at $599 through New Years and was still available at that price last night (1/2). I am guessing that they will be out of stock for a while and then reappear at the MSRP of $799. It will be interesting to see the pricing when the come back in stock. I am really glad I pulled the trigger when I did, because these LCDs are fantastic. I am tempted to sell my LCD3 because the Classics are so comfortable and so musical...just plain fun to listen to.

Jan 3, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #1,430 of 7,335
I received my LCD-2C’s last night and am coming from my HE-400i’s that I’ve had for a few years — and I knew instantly they were a noticeable upgrade.

I am running mine through the Modi 2U / Magni 2U which I hear some consider an amp slightly on the bright side so for me personally it seems to make the 2C’s sound glorious. With the 400i’s already having some treble spikes that forced me to take them off for a break often, I don’t sense anything fatiguing or discomforting for the metal / synthwave music I often listen to with the 2C’s — yet don’t feel like I am missing out on any of the clarity I enjoyed with the 400i’s.

The comfort is also excellent although I never had any issue with the 400i’s. The clamping force on the 2C’s is more noticeable so I’ll have to get used to that or play with the headband sizing a bit more, but the benefit is the suction creates a nice seal to my ears.

Overall just 45 minutes listening to them last night I am very impressed all around.

Regarding the cable that came with these .. there isn’t a way to plug these into a 3.5mm source. Anyone recommend a quality adapter I can get that isn’t a rip off?

Jan 3, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #1,431 of 7,335
Not sure what has happened but suddenly one side of my 2C has seemingly given out. It is not completely dead but severely lower and muffled compared to the other side. And it just came out of nowhere. Switched cable sides and still it persists so I ruled out it being a cable issue. Ugh, and was just getting to like like things.

Jan 3, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #1,432 of 7,335
Not sure what has happened but suddenly one side of my 2C has seemingly given out. It is not completely dead but severely lower and muffled compared to the other side. And it just came out of nowhere. Switched cable sides and still it persists so I ruled out it being a cable issue. Ugh, and was just getting to like like things.

As far as I know, you'd be the first to report an issue as far as sound is concerned. Sorry to hear about this...

Jan 3, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #1,433 of 7,335
Yeah, I was hoping it was cable issue but it appears to be the jack as if pull out out the connection a bit the sounds get better. It is also ridiculously cold at the moment in my place so I wonder if that could be a factor.

Jan 3, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #1,435 of 7,335
Well...just checked the Audeze site and the LCD2C is listed as "Out of Stock"

I noticed that the price had remained at $599 through New Years and was still available at that price last night (1/2). I am guessing that they will be out of stock for a while and then reappear at the MSRP of $799. It will be interesting to see the pricing when the come back in stock. I am really glad I pulled the trigger when I did, because these LCDs are fantastic. I am tempted to sell my LCD3 because the Classics are so comfortable and so musical...just plain fun to listen to.

Out of Stock, but you can pre-order, I suppose at the same price, as it is still shown at $599.

Jan 3, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #1,436 of 7,335
Interesting you say this, because after applying your EQ settings, I feel like they are even darker, heavier, and fluffy. Did you do that on purpose? You like that signature?

EDIT: But I must say, you did a good job with this EQ. It makes these so much more smooth and easy to listen to.

I'm attempting to smooth out the peaks. The place it gets a little darker is at a peak. Most people won't want the extra bass. That's just egregious basshead EQ on my part.

@Luckbad

May I ask what equalizer software you are using so I may try those settings as well? Sorry if you mentioned it already. Thanks.

I think that was Waves F6. Any parametric equalizer should be able to use the settings I provided.

Jan 3, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #1,437 of 7,335
I’ve been following this thread as I have some LCD2C on order which have been sitting at NZ customs over the break waiting for them to charge me 15% GST, and I’m starting to get cranky! I’ve got what I hope will be a good system, Bifrost plus Lyr 2, I’ve been trying out some NOS vintage Mullard 6DJ8 I think they are, and it sounds amazing with my HD600, can’t even imagine how it could be better than this but am prepared to be wowed

Jan 3, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #1,438 of 7,335
Would like to know how is the isolation? When you have them on, what kind of noise can you hear from outside?
Also, how loud is the leaking sound?

I have 2 babies at home and would like to hear them when they cry but not wake them up with sound leaking too loud lol

Thanks

Jan 3, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #1,439 of 7,335
Those Mullard 6DJ8 are sweet sounding. It's gonna be hard to find a better sounding tube. Good choice.

Jan 3, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #1,440 of 7,335
Would like to know how is the isolation? When you have them on, what kind of noise can you hear from outside?
Also, how loud is the leaking sound?

I have 2 babies at home and would like to hear them when they cry but not wake them up with sound leaking too loud lol

Thanks
Headphones when they’re sleeping are probably not a good idea then :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back