Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #1,442 of 7,334
Would like to know how is the isolation? When you have them on, what kind of noise can you hear from outside?
Also, how loud is the leaking sound?

I have 2 babies at home and would like to hear them when they cry but not wake them up with sound leaking too loud lol

Thanks

I can hear the tv (average person volume) on the other side of the house still when my wife is watching, so I either close my door or turn the volume up. I'd imagine with babies you'd be able to hear them crying quite easily. As far as leakage, you aren't going to wake anyone up unless you're in the same room with the volume fairly high. My .02

Jan 3, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #1,444 of 7,334
Unfortunately, I have decided to return my LCD-2 Classics. I really wanted to like them, but the sound is too dark for me. The mids are too recessed.This is my first foray into Audeze headphones, so maybe their house sound just isn't for me. On the plus side, they are very laid back, non-fatiguing, and never sibilant or harsh. I could listen to them all day in the office. That's good and bad. Good because they are non-fatiguing, but bad in that they just weren't exciting or compelling to me.

They were comfortable for long listening sessions, looked great, and the build quality was excellent. So I'm sad to part with these.

I tried them with a Woo Audio WA6, WA7, Bottlehead Crack with Speedball, Gustard H10, and Audio-Gd NFB1-Amp. None of them could bring out the mids. Perhaps I could EQ it, but I don't want to have to do that since I switch headphones frequently.

Oh well.

Jan 3, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #1,445 of 7,334
I can hear the tv (average person volume) on the other side of the house still when my wife is watching, so I either close my door or turn the volume up. I'd imagine with babies you'd be able to hear them crying quite easily. As far as leakage, you aren't going to wake anyone up unless you're in the same room with the volume fairly high. My .02

Thank you for your reply. Guess that would work for my application :D

Happy new year to all and enjoy life.
Kelvin

Jan 3, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #1,446 of 7,334
Today, I decided to bring up the Marantz PM6004 from another rig to try with the LCD-2C and A/B ing it with the Dangerous Source's built in headphone amp. I didn't use the speaker taps as I don't have the adapter anymore. I used the headphone jack which is worse than the speaker output but still shares similar sound character.

The Marantz isn't quite as resolving as the Dangerous Source but it is warmer. With the Marantz, the sound opened up and the mids were back to my liking. The treble finally felt going in the right direction. Still dark, but not plasticky or artificial. The bass wasn't as tight but went deeper. Bigger soundstage as well. This finally started to sound more like the LCD-2 experience I remembered tonally, even though the headphone jack is lacking in many areas. I do remember how the speaker outputs and the jack compare back when I had the LCD-3.

I'm going to give the Bryston stack (BDP-3 + BDA-3 + BHA-1 (balanced)) another shot with the LCD-2C one of these days and see how I like it and where it fits from a tonal and detail retrieval/accuracy standpoint. Depending on the results, I may get another speaker adapter made.

I think every Audeze owner should try to experience these headphones directly out of a good speaker amplifier at least one time to see what they really can do.

Jan 3, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #1,447 of 7,334
That seems antithetical to what a planar needs though isn't it? What's the output impedance/voltage output on that amp?

Jan 3, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #1,448 of 7,334
Unfortunately, I have decided to return my LCD-2 Classics. I really wanted to like them, but the sound is too dark for me. The mids are too recessed.This is my first foray into Audeze headphones, so maybe their house sound just isn't for me. On the plus side, they are very laid back, non-fatiguing, and never sibilant or harsh. I could listen to them all day in the office. That's good and bad. Good because they are non-fatiguing, but bad in that they just weren't exciting or compelling to me.

They were comfortable for long listening sessions, looked great, and the build quality was excellent. So I'm sad to part with these.

I tried them with a Woo Audio WA6, WA7, Bottlehead Crack with Speedball, Gustard H10, and Audio-Gd NFB1-Amp. None of them could bring out the mids. Perhaps I could EQ it, but I don't want to have to do that since I switch headphones frequently.

Oh well.
Recessed yes but its placed infront of you as if someone was singing to you at a distance if you turn up the volume knob you're at a concert front row with relatively better SQ and no one around to ruin the experience. Ps Some songs have a resonance with vocals.

Jan 3, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #1,449 of 7,334
Not really. Plenty of info here on head-fi on speaker amp with planars, especially with HE-6. I've plugged HE-500, LCD-2, and LCD-3 on a few speaker amps. They sound less confused on speaker amps and always in control. Back then, it used be the O2 as the recommendation. Currently, I think it's those Schiit Magni or Modi? The old LCD2 on the O2 sounded really confused. I couldn't make sense of what that the headphone was trying to do on that amp. It was sub par.

In general, if you don't want to put the headphone down, I think it's a good match. If that stays to be the case over many months, then it's a great match.

Jan 3, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #1,450 of 7,334
Not really. Plenty of info here on head-fi on speaker amp with planars, especially with HE-6. I've plugged HE-500, LCD-2, and LCD-3 on a few speaker amps. They sound less confused on speaker amps and always in control. Back then, it used be the O2 as the recommendation. Currently, I think it's those Schiit Magni or Modi? The old LCD2 on the O2 sounded really confused. I couldn't make sense of what that the headphone was trying to do on that amp. It was sub par.

In general, if you don't want to put the headphone down, I think it's a good match. If that stays to be the case over many months, then it's a great match.

+1 on using speaker amps for planars, especially vintage receivers. I've been using my vintage Marantz 2245 for my HE500 (and formerly HE6, LCD-2) and it is fantastic.

Jan 3, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #1,452 of 7,334
The safest way to go on all amps (single or balanced) is to use a balanced cable (4 pin) for the headphone itself. Get a separate 4 pin XLR female to banana plugs adapter. This way you don't have to worry.

Jan 3, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #1,453 of 7,334
Jan 3, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #1,454 of 7,334
Would like to know how is the isolation? When you have them on, what kind of noise can you hear from outside?
Also, how loud is the leaking sound?

I have 2 babies at home and would like to hear them when they cry but not wake them up with sound leaking too loud lol

Thanks

What you're looking for does not exist. If you can hear the babies, they can hear your headphones.

These are fully open headphones and don't isolate at all despite the earpads initially sealing.

My wife can hear my music from the next room when I'm using them.

Jan 3, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #1,455 of 7,334
The new Emotiva mini-x replacement even has an included jumper that outputs the full speaker taps through the headphone output if installed.

I liked my old LCD-2 hooked up to my XPA-200 speaker amp, definitely sounded better than my M-Stage at the time. Though, I will say the same M-Stage seems to sound fantastic with the 2C. Maybe a speaker amp will sound even better? Not sure. Maybe current Audeze headphones perform better than they used to with more moderately powered amps? This wouldn't surprise me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back