Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Dec 24, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #1,126 of 7,334
Is it worth getting these over the LCD-2 which is currently on sale for $50 more? It is the bamboo version and comes with case. I already ordered the Classic but thinking of refusing shipping and buying these instead.
You need to demo both to decide, they sound different from each other. If based on comparison between 2f and 2.2 , the 2f lost some sub bass but has better imaging and more focus.

Dec 24, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #1,127 of 7,334
I just posted a quick set of impressions comparing these to the Elear. The Elear and Clear are identical apart from the cabling if I recall correctly. Hopefully that post will be of good use.
I don't think these headphones are identical except their outer look. The Clear has performance closer to Utopia and superior to the Elear.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #1,130 of 7,334
Ah okay, I thought they were much the same. Guess I will just keep the classic order.
You can go wrong with either. 2f has less sub bass but it's just a bit. The way the sound being represented is what makes them different. Some might prefer one to another.

Dec 24, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #1,131 of 7,334
The AFOs go low and have a slight rumble with the Mjolnir 2/Gumby pairing.The LCD-2Cs sub bass is much tighter and sustains longer but expecting it to be more prominent than the AFOs.

As an example: Distal - Flowers sub bass comes through with authority on my Emu Teaks, second the AFOs and third the LCD-2Cs. This is all preliminary and I contribute it to my amp synergy. I have a feeling other amps can fully bring out the magic.

The LCD-2s are fast and resolve extremely well for the price. Would of loved to try it out on my Jot.
I think it has a bit more to do with the size of the pads/the tonality of the AFO less effort goes to the AFO but the lcd2c is fully capable.

Dec 24, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #1,132 of 7,334
I don't think these headphones are identical except their outer look. The Clear has performance closer to Utopia and superior to the Elear.

It's the same driver, a nearly identical housing and lower impedance cabling. The only measurable difference is an extension from 23khz to 28khz. I'd call this similar enough to probably fail a double blind A/B test to determine which is which.

Dec 24, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #1,133 of 7,334
It's the same driver, a nearly identical housing and lower impedance cabling. The only measurable difference is an extension from 23khz to 28khz. I'd call this similar enough to probably fail a double blind A/B test to determine which is which.
Have you actually compared them side by side in a blind test also?

Dec 24, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #1,134 of 7,334

Is the same driver, but with different voice coil (at difference impedance) and different pads, giving a different —more neutral— frecuency response, so they're not identical.

I don't think the difference would be as subtle as you claims, given the Tyll's impressions (and measurements) on their review.

Dec 25, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #1,136 of 7,334
I am thinking about complementing my afo either with lcd2c or focal clear. As tyll pointed out, afo is a tuned can, slight bloom in mid bass. Focal clear seems to be much more neutral. Is there anyone who can compare those? I wonder which one would be better choice

Dec 25, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #1,138 of 7,334
The AFOs go low and have a slight rumble with the Mjolnir 2/Gumby pairing.The LCD-2Cs sub bass is much tighter and sustains longer but expecting it to be more prominent than the AFOs.

As an example: Distal - Flowers sub bass comes through with authority on my Emu Teaks, second the AFOs and third the LCD-2Cs. This is all preliminary and I contribute it to my amp synergy. I have a feeling other amps can fully bring out the magic.

The LCD-2s are fast and resolve extremely well for the price. Would of loved to try it out on my Jot.
I’ve learned to appreciate the control and texture of the LCD-2 bass compared to something like the Fostex TH-X00/Emu Teak. You’re never going to get that quantity and slam of mid and sub bass from the LCD regardless of amp, but you will get more control, depth and texture. Even the ZMF Atticus, which I bought as a closed “fun” headphone to complement the LCD-2, doesn’t quite match the Fostex biodyna bass, but it has its own flavour and control and midrange purity than the Fostex.

Once you get to LCD level it’s al about refinement, balance and clarity rather than basshead boom.

Edit: FWIW (given the ongoing discussion about the LCD-2 and tubes) in my experience they much prefer lower impedance solid state amps. I’ve got a Woo WA3 that makes magic with the Atticus but falls flat with the LCD-2. Learning all about synergy...

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #1,139 of 7,334
I am thinking about complementing my afo either with lcd2c or focal clear. As tyll pointed out, afo is a tuned can, slight bloom in mid bass. Focal clear seems to be much more neutral. Is there anyone who can compare those? I wonder which one would be better choice

I think the Focal Clear is a more different approach compared to the AFO than the LCD-2C, even though both headphones are quality stuff at their own.

The Clear would be more detailed and "in your face" sound than both planars, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #1,140 of 7,334
I have all three. I would place the AFO in between the Clear and LCD2C in terms of clarity and overall balance... The Clear sound more open and dynamic to me, while the LCD2C present a “fuller” sound with more present bass. With all three headphones you have a wide range of approaches for any genre and equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back