Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Dec 24, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #1,112 of 7,334
For $300,I’d think so but I never heard the first gen Mj . The Mj2 does have a smoothness to its sound and was a good amp but I much preferred my Burson more with my headphones. I imagine the first gen model sounds like the Mj2 with the Lsst cans. I heard the Mj2 with these and it did become more energetic but added more grain. The Burson simply made me tap my toes more. The Wells Audio amps just take it up another notch or two. I never owned or heard the Matrix Hpa-3 amp.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #1,114 of 7,334
For $300,I’d think so but I never heard the first gen Mj . The Mj2 does have a smoothness to its sound and was a good amp but I much preferred my Burson more with my headphones. I imagine the first gen model sounds like the Mj2 with the Lsst cans. I heard the Mj2 with these and it did become more energetic but added more grain. The Burson simply made me tap my toes more. The Wells Audio amps just take it up another notch or two. I never owned or heard the Matrix Hpa-3 amp.

I agree with you completely...there is a very special synergy between Audeze LCDs and Burson amps for some reason. I have thrown a lot of money at this hobby and have never heard a better match for any of my LCDs (2C, 2.2F, 3) than my Burson Conductor.

Dec 24, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #1,115 of 7,334
Not a good match I presume? Still didn't like the fazor out of the X3-II or anything else either though, thought they ruined the Audeze house sound by trying to "balance" things out.

The pairing may not be ideal. We both own the LCD-2C and AFO and did a little comparing. @wazzupi amp pairing with the LCD-2C gives it a nice low end and a very full sound. On my rig the classic sounds lean and doesn’t have that signature low end I was expecting. Even after rolling tubes on the Mjolnir 2.

Got to have synergy in this game. :wink:

Dec 24, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #1,116 of 7,334
The pairing may not be ideal. We both own the LCD-2C and AFO and did a little comparing. @wazzupi amp pairing with the LCD-2C gives it a nice low end and a very full sound. On my rig the classic sounds lean and doesn’t have that signature low end I was expecting. Even after rolling tubes on the Mjolnir 2.

What tubes have you tried with these can bro?

Dec 24, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #1,117 of 7,334
Maybe it would be the third time I say this, but I'm in LOVE with the sound and comfort of these beauties, they remain in my head since yesterday. :)

And all of these straight from my motherboard's DAC and Schiit Magni 3 (they drive fairly easy, to be honest).

If I need to describe them in a sentence: musical sanctuary

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #1,118 of 7,334
What tubes have you tried with these can bro?

Rolled the Siemen’s E188CCs, Phillips MiniWatt E188CCs, Amperex Bugle Boys, Siemens E88CCs, Mullard ECC88s, JW WE 2C51s, Tung Sol 2C51s, LM Ericsson 2C51s and the WE Triple Mica 5*.

Out of all of them my favorite were the Mullards and most of the 2C51s. Had most fun with the 5* and thought it was going to be bright but I was pleasantly surprised how well it paired with the classic.

Dec 24, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #1,119 of 7,334
Rolled the Siemen’s E188CCs, Phillips MiniWatt E188CCs, Amperex Bugle Boys, Siemens E88CCs, Mullard ECC88s, JW WE 2C51s, Tung Sol 2C51s, LM Ericsson 2C51s and the WE Triple Mica 5*.

Out of all of them my favorite were the Mullards and most of the 2C51s. Had most fun with the 5* and thought it was going to be bright but I was pleasantly surprised how well it paired with the classic.
Cool you still rolling the tubes I sold you, how did the WE 396A's fare?

Dec 24, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #1,120 of 7,334
Cool you still rolling the tubes I sold you, how did the WE 396A's fare?

Thanks for the good deal on the tubes! The WE 396As sound great with the LCD-2Cs and give it that warm tube sound. I think you’ll like classics with the 2Cs.

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #1,121 of 7,334

Im not sure what bass youre looking for but do you get it from the afo ? Because its possible that its a planar thing and you prefer bass from dynamic drivers ?

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #1,123 of 7,334
Im not sure what bass youre looking for but do you get it from the afo ? Because its possible that its a planar thing and you prefer bass from dynamic drivers ?

The AFOs go low and have a slight rumble with the Mjolnir 2/Gumby pairing.The LCD-2Cs sub bass is much tighter and sustains longer but expecting it to be more prominent than the AFOs.

As an example: Distal - Flowers sub bass comes through with authority on my Emu Teaks, second the AFOs and third the LCD-2Cs. This is all preliminary and I contribute it to my amp synergy. I have a feeling other amps can fully bring out the magic.

The LCD-2s are fast and resolve extremely well for the price. Would of loved to try it out on my Jot.

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #1,124 of 7,334
I know this is kind of inappropriate but could anyone here recommend me a tube for Schiit valhalla to pair with 2C and HD800? I'm currently using a pair of Valvo 6922 red label

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #1,125 of 7,334
Is it worth getting these over the LCD-2 which is currently on sale for $50 more? It is the bamboo version and comes with case. I already ordered the Classic but thinking of refusing shipping and buying these instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back