Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Dec 22, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #1,007 of 7,334
My only gripe with these headphones, is I wish the top metal posts, stuck straight up so I looked like an alien...please fix in next release Audeze.

Sound is definitely more relaxed and deeper than the he-400i's. I do prefer the he-400i I bit more for string heavy music, acoustic. For everyday listening though I can definitely see myself reaching for these. Maybe I'll get some Elex for my acoustic needs.

Dec 22, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #1,008 of 7,334
Got mine and been listening now for a couple of days and all I can say is wow. This is my first foray into planar's and i'm glad I impulsed bought these. I actually don't think I need the balanced cables since i'm still waiting on them and the 1/4 inch sounds good to me on my HPA4BL. I was worried since I was reading these up a lot of power and thought I would need the extra juice from the balanced output. Oddly these seem to hang out at the same volume levels that I use my TH-X00 PH at. I see people talking about the weight here and I have been able to comfortably use these for work 8-10ish hours and again at home when relaxing.

I think these are great for metal and most rock music and my game orchstrated game soundtracks, the TH-X00 for rap/hip-hop, And my Custom One Pros for my commute to work and back. Time to let every other headphone go.

Dec 22, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #1,009 of 7,334
How far forward are you wearing yours? They seem to have a lot of forward/backward travel on my head.. Maybe i'm a mutant.

Dec 22, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #1,012 of 7,334
I think these are great for metal and most rock music and my game orchstrated game soundtracks, the TH-X00 for rap/hip-hop, And my Custom One Pros for my commute to work and back. Time to let every other headphone go.

Does rap/hip-hop sound that much better on the TH-X00? I listen to a ton of hip hop old and new and I’d be sad if the 2C doesn’t do it well.

Dec 23, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #1,013 of 7,334
I haven't A/B'd with my Teaks yet but I feel like these have masterfully handled everything I've thrown at them from orchestral (Zelda and Final Fantasy symphonies) to metal (Metallica and A7X so far) and rap (Run the Jewels). Going to be enjoying this holiday break and enjoying them.

Dec 23, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #1,015 of 7,334
Just wanna add my 2 cents here. I have owned a pair of LCD-Xs which I sold right after I got my utopia. Just received my LCD-2C today and decided to return them after a 7-hour critical listening. I know it's not fair to compare them with my utopia-dana-dave combo, but I just find the LCD-2C way too dark (literally insufferable). I believe they are indeed well-made for $599 but just not my thing. I was searching for a pair of planars for bass backup but I guess I have to save money for a much better pair. Surprisingly though I find they have the same level of clarity as LCD-x with stock cable (I know for LCD-x, black dragon cable from Moon-audio can significantly alter the sound signature).

Dec 23, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #1,016 of 7,334
´how are these for metal? I have 400i's witch i like but i want more slam/punch/authority in my sound. I bought Z1R's but tbh im kinda disappointed in these, does everything OK, nothing spectacular.

Tempted to place order, can you buy these anywhere in EU?

Dec 23, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #1,017 of 7,334
Just wanna add my 2 cents here. I have owned a pair of LCD-Xs which I sold right after I got my utopia. Just received my LCD-2C today and decided to return them after a 7-hour critical listening. I know it's not fair to compare them with my utopia-dana-dave combo, but I just find the LCD-2C way too dark (literally insufferable). I believe they are indeed well-made for $599 but just not my thing. I was searching for a pair of planars for bass backup but I guess I have to save money for a much better pair. Surprisingly though I find they have the same level of clarity as LCD-x with stock cable (I know for LCD-x, black dragon cable from Moon-audio can significantly alter the sound signature).

Darkness doesn’t affect clarity? So the LCD-X aren’t dark?

Dec 23, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #1,018 of 7,334
Darkness doesn’t affect clarity? So the LCD-X aren’t dark?
The LCD-X with stock cable are dark in my point of view. Through LCD-2C I could hear as much details as through X but they are just darker. I thought 2C might not have that sharp high pitch thing as X did but apparently I was wrong. It was such a torture to listen to Kalafina with 2C. It was dark at most of the time accompanied by many sharp high pitches. But they work really well with Linkin Park so I guess it does depend on your taste.

Dec 23, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #1,019 of 7,334
The LCD-X with stock cable are dark in my point of view. Through LCD-2C I could hear as much details as through X but they are just darker. I thought 2C might not have that sharp high pitch thing as X did but apparently I was wrong. It was such a torture to listen to Kalafina with 2C. It was dark at most of the time accompanied by many sharp high pitches. But they work really well with Linkin Park so I guess it does depend on your taste.
Interesting observations. Do you have a Kalafina track you find particularly bothersome? I’d like to give it a proper listen with my 2F - which should be even slightly brighter than the 2C - to try hear what you’re hearing. In my experience the source has a big effect on the peaks and troughs along with the headphones. Sometimes it’s not about the headphones as much as it is about synergy.

Dec 23, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #1,020 of 7,334
Interesting observations. Do you have a Kalafina track you find particularly bothersome? I’d like to give it a proper listen with my 2F - which should be even slightly brighter than the 2C - to try hear what you’re hearing. In my experience the source has a big effect on the peaks and troughs along with the headphones. Sometimes it’s not about the headphones as much as it is about synergy.
Try heavenly blue. Maybe I just like my utopias too much and I find everything else dark. However I do enjoy my t8ie mk II with whiplash silver litz v3. So it’s also possible that the stock cable is just too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back