Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Dec 31, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #1,336 of 7,334
Couldn’t agree more. There’s nothing like the TH-X00 when it comes to bass. So deep and punchy and beautiful. Don’t bother trying to compare it to anything else or you’ll be disappointed. I still miss my Fostex sometimes - sold it to get the Atticus, and even the Atticus doesn’t have the quantity of bass the Fostex puts out. Best sub bass of any headphone I’ve ever heard. BUT the LCD-2 is brilliant in its own way, and in fact the texture and control of the bass is better than the Fostex. Always good to have at least two headphones so you can pick your flavour based on album and mood.
I found the X00's bass to be a bit loose and not as satisfying when compared to the DT 1990. The 1990 had somewhat less quantity but because it could really deliver on slam while being tight and punchy it didn't really feel less. They had pretty similar extension, I think the X00 reach a tiny bit deeper. It was rather surprising how good the bass is. If the 1990 wasn't so piercing on some songs it would've been a great all-rounder but still worth consider as a headphones that can scratch the bass itch.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #1,337 of 7,334
The LCD creates a ‘vacuum’ seal around your ears. It’s important when you put them on or take them off to do so slowly, so as not to create too much pressure. You DO NOT want to hear the crinkling noise, because it means you’re flexing the driver. Carry on doing that and they’ll pop or crack, a $400 out of warranty fix! The LCD-4 is meant to have a felt liner than releases this pressure, so I guess the LCD-2C doesn’t. All will be well if you make sure to gently put them on and pull them off, but whatever you do don’t press them against your ears like you’ve been doing unless you want to blow the drivers.
Aren't they an open design? Shouldn't they not really form a seal?

Dec 31, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #1,339 of 7,334
I found the X00's bass to be a bit loose and not as satisfying when compared to the DT 1990. The 1990 had somewhat less quantity but because it could really deliver on slam while being tight and punchy it didn't really feel less. They had pretty similar extension, I think the X00 reach a tiny bit deeper. It was rather surprising how good the bass is. If the 1990 wasn't so piercing on some songs it would've been a great all-rounder but still worth consider as a headphones that can scratch the bass itch.

The bass on the 1990 with balanced pads is amazing, nearly as good as the LCD-2C one, with even better punch (but a bit less refined/deeper presentation compared to the Audeze, but just a little), which is impressive for a semi-open dynamic can.

On the other hand, I found the treble and overall sound signature on the Beyers more all-rounder than the LCD-2C and more kinded to my tastes, but I wasn't able to acomodate to the comfort with such strong clamping force. :triportsad:

Great headphones for the price at their own, both DT1990 and LCD-2C.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #1,340 of 7,334
Stream of consciousness impressions of the Audeze LCD-2 Classic (two days of listening so far).

Quick note for those who aren't familiar with my preferences: I love bass and treble causes me fatigue very easily.

These are just going to be bullet points as I use the headphones. I'll only edit the bullet points if I answer one of my own questions.
  • Note that I just bought these and picked them up at Audeze HQ because they're less than 20 minutes away. I could technically return them, but would likely only do so if they seem faulty in some way (they do allow 30 days money-back though).
  • I don't get why people are bent out of shape about the introductory holiday pricing. Lots of beloved manufacturers offer earlybird pricing (ZMF, Eddie Current, Cavalli, to name a few). Given, most of them are more boutique than Audeze, but I don't see it as a problem.
  • Build quality is rather good. These don't look ultra sexy like the Focal Clears, but they are very solidly built.
  • Initial comfort level = very high. Like a head cloud. A cumulonimbus cloud. Thank you for the ear room, Audeze!
  • Firing up my headphone test playlist... Is the right driver ringing? What? Maybe not. Guajira Antiguan-Flamenco Mystico by Gino D'Auri is the culprit. It's actually ringing on the guitar that I've never noticed so prominently. A quick swap to the Focal Clears and it's still there, but much less pronounced. Some sort of frequency emphasis on the Audeze? Channel swapping yields the ringing on the left driver, so it's not an issue with the right driver.
  • Bass. Quite good for an open headphone. The Focal Clear has similar bass quality, but the LCD-2C wins. I actually don't hate electronic music with them (I usually don't bother with open cans and anything electronic. I always switch to closed/IEMs).
  • There seems to be a bit of a resonant hash somewhere in the treble. Maybe mids too.
  • I need to stop switching between these and the Focal Clears because the latter are so much clearer. They're very different headphones.
  • These definitely have some wool on 'em. A bit of fog. More of a veil than my modded HD650s. A dense head cloud, just like the comfort.
  • I like these for heavier rock and modern pop more than the Clears. The Clears emphasize the junk in many of these recordings. LCD-2C are way more forgiving and can be played louder without burning my ears.
  • These sound to me like what the AudioQuest Nighthawk wanted to sound like (Note: I don't hate those cans like a lot of people do, either).
  • Going back to build quality. These are sort of industrial in their build. I feel like I can safely set them down wherever and even drop them on the floor without freaking out. This is something that has served me well over the years with the HD650s.
  • Why do I love these headphones already? They're veiled. Dark. They're kinda dull. They don't do many things better than the Sennheiser HD650. And I have a demo pair of Focal Clears sitting right here too. The Clears sound better. But I want the LCD-2 Classics on my head anyway.
  • People complaining about how much these weigh must be frail individuals with small heads and minimal brain matter. I know I'll regret typing that tomorrow when I have neck pain. Update: Nope my neck doesn't hurt.
  • I'm not usually inclined to fix a headphone's frequency response with EQ these days, but for some reason I feel like I should keep these and optimize the frequency response.
  • I totally get what "blobby soundstage" means now. On some songs it's like there is a gap between the music in my head. Weird. Update: Day 2, I'm not hearing this as much. Brain adjustment, most likely.
  • Weird crinkle sound when the earpads seal (p.s. these pads seal big time even though the headphones are open). Looks like that's a thing with LCDs. Drivers moving? Shrug.
  • These are better than HD650s for pop. Not my favorite genre, but it does do something better than them. Electronic and hip hop as well.
  • I have less to say about these than the Clears because I keep forgetting I'm typing stream-of-consciousness impressions. That is a good thing. With the Clears, every time I had to adjust the headphone placement or turn the volume down a bit to reduce fatigue, I contemplated another bullet point.
  • They're starting to sound more neutral to me on day 2. Probably because I'm acclimating to them, not because I burned them in overnight.
  • Found another type of music I like with them over HD650s. Classical with harpsichords has never been my jam, but I'm digging Brandenburg Concerto No 5. with the Audezes. I think I also prefer classic rock with these. Tom Petty is relaxing right into my heart with them.
  • When I bought these I thought to myself, "it's safe. You can return the things for a full refund if you need to. No biggie." I don't plan to return them. While not immediately impressive like Focal Clears, they really grew on me.
  • I need to find a longer cable for them. I suppose I should just find aftermarket connectors and make a longer balanced cable. The stock cable is not long enough to listen in my recliner.
  • These have me interested in the LCD-MX4 and LCD-4 (if they ever drop down to a much more reasonable price).
  • I wonder if they're going to do a Reveal profile for these. It's weird that they launched these headphones and the plugin almost simultaneously but don't have a profile for it. The LCD-2 profile does not work for them. It makes them sound distant and a little tinny.
Why I would buy the Audeze LCD-2 Classics:
  • Legit Audeze LCD planar magnetic headphones for well under four figures? Yes please.
  • I've heard LCD-2s in the past that I coveted and others that I thought were lame. These remind me more of the former than the latter. And at $599! Even at $799 they're a good price.
  • Much better bass quality and extension than my Sennheiser HD650s.
  • They do certain genres better than the HD650s. They're complementary to my main cans while still excelling with my my main amplifier (Cavalli Liquid Crimson).
  • They are very comfortable to wear. These are my favorite earpads (FYI, I haven't used Aeons or newer ZMFs).
  • These synergize with the gear I already have for my Sennheisers. That means I don't have to rethink my chain substantially (a Schiit Gungnir Multibit is almost inevitably in my future though... If only a black one could be procured when the time is right).
Why I wouldn't buy the Audeze LCD-2 Classics:
  • They are dark and cloudy. I like to think of them as cumulonimbus clouds. Dark, heavy, cloudy, fluffy, warning of impending showers perhaps. I detected a substantial veil on these when I first started using them, especially after using Focal Clears for a few days prior.
  • $600-$800 is still a lot for headphones.
  • People claim that drivers on Audeze cans are prone to failure or mismatch. Audeze is said to have good customer service, but it's still a crapshoot whether you get something that sounds as good back if you have to replace anything (WARNING: This is second hand information at best).
Some quick preliminary EQ: 20Hz, Q 0.7, Gain +7.5; 1100Hz, Q 6.2, Gain -2; 5000Hz, Q 8.2, Gain +3; 7500Hz, Q 4, Gain -2
index.php

Dec 31, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #1,341 of 7,334
Stream of consciousness impressions of the Audeze LCD-2 Classic (two days of listening so far).

Quick note for those who aren't familiar with my preferences: I love bass and treble causes me fatigue very easily.

These are just going to be bullet points as I use the headphones. I'll only edit the bullet points if I answer one of my own questions.
  • Note that I just bought these and picked them up at Audeze HQ because they're less than 20 minutes away. I could technically return them, but would likely only do so if they seem faulty in some way (they do allow 30 days money-back though).
  • I don't get why people are bent out of shape about the introductory holiday pricing. Lots of beloved manufacturers offer earlybird pricing (ZMF, Eddie Current, Cavalli, to name a few). Given, most of them are more boutique than Audeze, but I don't see it as a problem.
  • Build quality is rather good. These don't look ultra sexy like the Focal Clears, but they are very solidly built.
  • Initial comfort level = very high. Like a head cloud. A cumulonimbus cloud. Thank you for the ear room, Audeze!
  • Firing up my headphone test playlist... Is the right driver ringing? What? Maybe not. Guajira Antiguan-Flamenco Mystico by Gino D'Auri is the culprit. It's actually ringing on the guitar that I've never noticed so prominently. A quick swap to the Focal Clears and it's still there, but much less pronounced. Some sort of frequency emphasis on the Audeze? Channel swapping yields the ringing on the left driver, so it's not an issue with the right driver.
  • Bass. Quite good for an open headphone. The Focal Clear has similar bass quality, but the LCD-2C wins. I actually don't hate electronic music with them (I usually don't bother with open cans and anything electronic. I always switch to closed/IEMs).
  • There seems to be a bit of a resonant hash somewhere in the treble. Maybe mids too.
  • I need to stop switching between these and the Focal Clears because the latter are so much clearer. They're very different headphones.
  • These definitely have some wool on 'em. A bit of fog. More of a veil than my modded HD650s. A dense head cloud, just like the comfort.
  • I like these for heavier rock and modern pop more than the Clears. The Clears emphasize the junk in many of these recordings. LCD-2C are way more forgiving and can be played louder without burning my ears.
  • These sound to me like what the AudioQuest Nighthawk wanted to sound like (Note: I don't hate those cans like a lot of people do, either).
  • Going back to build quality. These are sort of industrial in their build. I feel like I can safely set them down wherever and even drop them on the floor without freaking out. This is something that has served me well over the years with the HD650s.
  • Why do I love these headphones already? They're veiled. Dark. They're kinda dull. They don't do many things better than the Sennheiser HD650. And I have a demo pair of Focal Clears sitting right here too. The Clears sound better. But I want the LCD-2 Classics on my head anyway.
  • People complaining about how much these weigh must be frail individuals with small heads and minimal brain matter. I know I'll regret typing that tomorrow when I have neck pain. Update: Nope my neck doesn't hurt.
  • I'm not usually inclined to fix a headphone's frequency response with EQ these days, but for some reason I feel like I should keep these and optimize the frequency response.
  • I totally get what "blobby soundstage" means now. On some songs it's like there is a gap between the music in my head. Weird. Update: Day 2, I'm not hearing this as much. Brain adjustment, most likely.
  • Weird crinkle sound when the earpads seal (p.s. these pads seal big time even though the headphones are open). Looks like that's a thing with LCDs. Drivers moving? Shrug.
  • These are better than HD650s for pop. Not my favorite genre, but it does do something better than them. Electronic and hip hop as well.
  • I have less to say about these than the Clears because I keep forgetting I'm typing stream-of-consciousness impressions. That is a good thing. With the Clears, every time I had to adjust the headphone placement or turn the volume down a bit to reduce fatigue, I contemplated another bullet point.
  • They're starting to sound more neutral to me on day 2. Probably because I'm acclimating to them, not because I burned them in overnight.
  • Found another type of music I like with them over HD650s. Classical with harpsichords has never been my jam, but I'm digging Brandenburg Concerto No 5. with the Audezes. I think I also prefer classic rock with these. Tom Petty is relaxing right into my heart with them.
  • When I bought these I thought to myself, "it's safe. You can return the things for a full refund if you need to. No biggie." I don't plan to return them. While not immediately impressive like Focal Clears, they really grew on me.
  • I need to find a longer cable for them. I suppose I should just find aftermarket connectors and make a longer balanced cable. The stock cable is not long enough to listen in my recliner.
  • These have me interested in the LCD-MX4 and LCD-4 (if they ever drop down to a much more reasonable price).
  • I wonder if they're going to do a Reveal profile for these. It's weird that they launched these headphones and the plugin almost simultaneously but don't have a profile for it. The LCD-2 profile does not work for them. It makes them sound distant and a little tinny.
  • Legit Audeze LCD planar magnetic headphones for well under four figures? Yes please.
  • I've heard LCD-2s in the past that I coveted and others that I thought were lame. These remind me more of the former than the latter. And at $599! Even at $799 they're a good price.
  • They do certain genres better than the HD650s. They're complementary to my main cans while still excelling with my my main amplifier (Cavalli Liquid Crimson).
  • They are very comfortable to wear. These are my favorite earpads (FYI, I haven't used Aeons or newer ZMFs).
  • These synergize with the gear I already have for my Sennheisers. That means I don't have to rethink my chain substantially (a Schiit Gungnir Multibit is almost inevitably in my future though... If only a black one could be procured when the time is right).
  • They are dark and cloudy. I like to think of them as cumulonimbus clouds. Dark, heavy, cloudy, fluffy, warning of impending showers perhaps. I detected a substantial veil on these when I first started using them, especially after using Focal Clears for a few days prior.
  • People claim that drivers on Audeze cans are prone to failure or mismatch. Audeze is said to have good customer service, but it's still a crapshoot whether you get something that sounds as good back if you have to replace anything (WARNING: This is second hand information at best).
Some quick preliminary EQ: 20Hz, Q 0.7, Gain +7.5; 1100Hz, Q 6.2, Gain -2; 5000Hz, Q 8.2, Gain +3; 7500Hz, Q 4, Gain -2
index.php

You absolutely nailed it with those impressions. :thumbsup:

Although I don't have a Focal Clear, I use to had a pair of Beyer DT1990, which are in the same detailed/brighter lounge of the Focals and you summarize exactly my same thoughs, particularly in the bold marked stuff (albeit mine are driven by a Magni 3).

I think the LCD-2C has a "mature" sound that definitely improves with the time and brain adjustement, these don't have a immediate "wow" factor that other hyper detailed cans could have, but definitely have a highly musical enjoyment factor.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #1,342 of 7,334
Can anyone suggest an app/method of testing this generous gentleman's EQ? @Luckbad Very detailed thoughts. I dig it. I tend to agree with all points of the audio profile. The sonarworks LCD-2 profile helped unfog some areas but I think a very well made EQ could make these some headphones that I'll enjoy for a very long time. Even without one they are very easy to listen to and adept at most of my music without being abhorrently bad in any specific thing.

Dec 31, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #1,344 of 7,334
The best way to compare various LCD-2 models would be to put them on a TOTL overpowered headphone amplifier or a good speaker amplifier. Period.

On lesser headphone amps, the old LCD-2 never shone for me. Pair them with something that can provide clean power easily and they'll come alive. Once you experience that, you'll know right away.

On lesser setups, it's very much possible that they may find the old LCD-2 to be dull. On a good setup, they'll still sound dark, but definitely not dull! Important distinction.
I have to agree with this, I had a similar experience going from a moderately powerful amp to a speaker amp with my old LCD-2.2 several years ago. I’m not one to think infinite headroom makes any difference, but I definitely believed it helped my LCD-2 go from kinda dull to not dull in the slightest.

In fact, I wonder how an Emotiva BasX A100 would fair with the 2c. It has an internal jumper that allows you to output full power to the front headphone out.

I was thinking the same thing. That comment didn't make sense to me either. Maybe someone can clarify.

IIRC, the headphones make a seal between the ear and the driver, and doesn’t let much or any air pass through the baffle.
I definitely feel negative pressure on my ear drums if I take them off too quickly.

Dec 31, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #1,345 of 7,334
I have to agree with this, I had a similar experience going from a moderately powerful amp to a speaker amp with my old LCD-2.2 several years ago. I’m not one to think infinite headroom makes any difference, but I definitely believed it helped my LCD-2 go from kinda dull to not dull in the slightest.

In fact, I wonder how an Emotiva BasX A100 would fair with the 2c. It has an internal jumper that allows you to output full power to the front headphone out.

IIRC, the headphones make a seal between the ear and the driver, and doesn’t let much or any air pass through the baffle.
I definitely feel negative pressure on my ear drums if I take them off too quickly.

Just my 2 cents. I went from a TEAC UD-301 with 100mW + + 100 mW into 32ohms, to a Benchmark DAC1 which has something around 2.4W. I have to say I've noticed no difference in the headphone's acoustics. I also hear very little difference on my iphone though....so maybe I'm a deaf :D Though it is an extremely efficient headphone guys. I have to wonder how much this "OMG CURRENT FOR PLANARZ" stuff is overblown. Or I've just not seen the light yet.

Dec 31, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #1,346 of 7,334
The magni 3 isnt as bright as the magni 2. The 2 makes my HE4XXs way too bright for me. I never really noticed it with my HD650. The jotunheim is too bright for me. I think im too sensitive to treble or just too used to my HD650.

Dec 31, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #1,348 of 7,334

index.php

Thanks for one of the more comprehensive (and entertaining) mini-reviews I've seen here. IMO these impressions escalate the value this thread...

Besides all the comments here about (comparative) sound & comfort--this post was flat-out fun to read, ie:

"Is the right driver ringing? What?"

"People complaining about how much these weigh must be frail individuals with small heads and minimal brain matter. I know I'll regret typing that tomorrow when I have neck pain."

"Drivers moving? Shrug."
(I'm more interested in the LCD-2 Classics now that before reading this)

Dec 31, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #1,350 of 7,334
I see. I'll have to test this out when I get back to the office.

The earpads on the Audeze LCD-2 Classic absolutely seal. However, that pressure is relieved fairly quickly. Think of lifting a washcloth out of water. It sucks on the water surface, but the water drains out of it after you lift it up.

These are actually pretty open, despite that initial seal. And the sound signature doesn't change dramatically if you slightly break the seal like some headphones. It's almost a more balanced sound, if I'm honest. Glasses wearers need not worry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back