Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Feb 26, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #4,726 of 7,334
I can’t stand Chord DACs and amps. In my honest opinion worst price performance ever. I did like the Mojo for what it was even though it was over hyped. The Yggy is beyond any Chord DAC I’ve heard I would recommend giving it a go.
Hahaha....this should be me talking.

Rob talks a lot. And a lot of people buy into it.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #4,727 of 7,334
IMO Chord DACs are revolutionary and they destroy the competition in each price range. I think they are class leading and the competition is a mile behind. I am sure TT2 leaves Yggy in the dust..

I disagree completely, Betula. But i'm used to hearing things like this from Chord fans. I also fell into the hype.

There was a Qutest for sale here locally for cheap. No need for shipping, tax, etc. I didnt take it. I'd rather pay more and get the Gumby or Soekris 1421 or Cyan or Onyx.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #4,728 of 7,334
Disagree completely. For the most part I find dynamics cleaner in all areas apart from bass. The 2C has fantastic bass. I do wish they had more impact but Planars in general lack actual slam and dynamism.
To clarify just in case, i was solely talking abt the bass in that post.

Are you talking about mid-bass slam that dynamics in general have? Then yes. Dynamics bass FR tend to slope down, and planar tend to be flat.

But planar has that bass impact and solidity that cannot be replicated in dynamics. Recently I tried ZMF auteur/aelous/verite amd Audeze MX4. The MX4 loses in most areas, except the planar bass impact.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #4,729 of 7,334
I disagree completely, Betula. But i'm used to hearing things like this from Chord fans. I also fell into the hype.

There was a Qutest for sale here locally for cheap. No need for shipping, tax, etc. I didnt take it. I'd rather pay more and get the Gumby or Soekris 1421 or Cyan or Onyx.
You have the right to disagree. To be honest I don't understand half of what Rob is talking about. I love Chord DACs because to my ears they do something special like no other DACs do. (Realism, 3D space.)

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #4,730 of 7,334
You have the right to disagree. To be honest I don't understand half of what Rob is talking about. I love Chord DACs because to my ears they do something special like no other DACs do. (Realism, 3D space.)

Have you heard any of the similar priced multibit or r2r dacs like the sciiit gungir or Metrum Onyx though? Maybe you just need to branch out from chord and d/s dacs? Those are pretty much one in the same from all the reviews I’ve read, with chord having a more ‘fun’ sound that people seem to love or hate.

Feb 27, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #4,731 of 7,334
What is wrong with a little sub-bass love? :) It is very much needed for certain music genres. At the end of the day it comes down to genre of music you listen to and the sound signature you like. The 2C has bass like not many other headphones regardless price and they do mids and treble ok as well while overall they sound impressive for the price. Nobody said they are the best headphones, but for some people they are better than the HD650s. It is personal preference, not an objective, ultimate ranking of headphones.
For the sub-bass and bass performance I prefer the 2C to some £1000+ headphones, even though those £1000+ headphones have higher resolution and are better in some technicalities. It is fine if you guys prefer the HD650 to the LCD2C, but please don't forget to use 'I think', 'to my ears', 'to my preference' a bit more often.

I was actually meaning the 660s, I have not heard the 650 for a few years, IMO I think the 660s are extremely good in the mid and treble. The bass is quite good, but the 2C clearly destroy them in this area. You might like the 660s, they are a more energetic version of the 650. The 2C certainly are not able to match the sennheisers in some areas like realistic tone and even frequency response etc.

I did very much like the sound of the 2C and I do sort of want to get them again, but I think I will stick with the ones I have now and see if anything new comes out, ideally a 2C that has more upper mid, smoother treble and weighs 300g and is 25% cheaper!

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #4,732 of 7,334
Also just out of interest, has anyone here had problems with their 2C? eg. driver failure or faulty drivers?

This was bothering me a bit because I read about the problems they had with the 3 and 2F and it made me paranoid about the 2C, but then having done a bit more searching I have found almost nothing about the 2C having the same problems with failures etc. Apparently they did something in 2016-2017 to improve reliability and it seems that has reduced the failures to a very low amount now? Anyone actually had a 2C with driver failure?

Feb 27, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #4,733 of 7,334
Today I’ve been comparing my classics to my friends old LCD-2 from 2011. Damn I wish Audeze went back to that old sound! So lush, so gorgeous sounding. The 2010-2013 LCD-2 was my ideal sound!

The classic while improving so much over the weird timbre of the Fazor LCD 2’s, X’s and 3’s the LCD-2Cs sounds more like a HE-6 more aggressive, fast and leaner, meaner! Not a bad thing but damn I miss that old sound!

Feb 27, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #4,734 of 7,334
Also just out of interest, has anyone here had problems with their 2C? eg. driver failure or faulty drivers?

This was bothering me a bit because I read about the problems they had with the 3 and 2F and it made me paranoid about the 2C, but then having done a bit more searching I have found almost nothing about the 2C having the same problems with failures etc. Apparently they did something in 2016-2017 to improve reliability and it seems that has reduced the failures to a very low amount now? Anyone actually had a 2C with driver failure?

havent had any driver failures or problems with any of my audeze headphones, including the 2c

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #4,735 of 7,334
Today I’ve been comparing my classics to my friends old LCD-2 from 2011. Damn I wish Audeze went back to that old sound! So lush, so gorgeous sounding. The 2010-2013 LCD-2 was my ideal sound!

The classic while improving so much over the weird timbre of the Fazor LCD 2’s, X’s and 3’s the LCD-2Cs sounds more like a HE-6 more aggressive, fast and leaner, meaner! Not a bad thing but damn I miss that old sound!
Yeah still have the good old LCD2rev2 on my ears :)
Get a LCD2C for outside
But I see that you have the LCD4. According to my tests that one is really better tha the old LCD2 no?

Feb 28, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #4,736 of 7,334

The closed-back is more aggresive again, I found the LCD2C mellower with that upper smoothness relative to CB.

Feb 28, 2019 at 5:52 AM Post #4,737 of 7,334
Yeah still have the good old LCD2rev2 on my ears :)
Get a LCD2C for outside
But I see that you have the LCD4. According to my tests that one is really better tha the old LCD2 no?
The 4? The LCD-4 has better technicalities but the price performance isn’t good at all. I love the Audeze sound and the 4 is the most perfected Audeze but it doesn’t have the lush tone of a good LCD-2 of old.

The problem with Audeze is consistency, you can get a driver that’s poor, standard or excellent. It’s the luck of the draw but if you get a good LCD-2 by chance they’ll perform fantastically.

I used to have a late 2012 LCD-2 and it was my all time fav headphone. The Classic I actually find better than all the other current LCD’s minus the 4. The fazor variants have such a messsd up timbre.

Feb 28, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #4,738 of 7,334
The 4? The LCD-4 has better technicalities but the price performance isn’t good at all. I love the Audeze sound and the 4 is the most perfected Audeze but it doesn’t have the lush tone of a good LCD-2 of old.

The problem with Audeze is consistency, you can get a driver that’s poor, standard or excellent. It’s the luck of the draw but if you get a good LCD-2 by chance they’ll perform fantastically.

I used to have a late 2012 LCD-2 and it was my all time fav headphone. The Classic I actually find better than all the other current LCD’s minus the 4. The fazor variants have such a messsd up timbre.
Sure I'm with you about the old LCD2, never found the new LCD2 or LCD3 (except the first non fazor version) being better.. There is really something unique about the old LCD2. The only benefits of the 2C is the speed which is a bit better on the C and the weight (but it doesn't boter me on the rev2).
However after comparing with new LCD2, LCDX and LCD3 I had the impressionthat I would have the same conclusion with the LCD4, or maybe a bit better. But for me the LCD4 was two times better than my LCD2rev2. which is not completely irrational. At that level paying several times the price is often bringing a marginal gain, it wasn't the case here.

Feb 28, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #4,739 of 7,334
Have you heard any of the similar priced multibit or r2r dacs like the sciiit gungir or Metrum Onyx though? Maybe you just need to branch out from chord and d/s dacs? Those are pretty much one in the same from all the reviews I’ve read, with chord having a more ‘fun’ sound that people seem to love or hate.
I haven't tried those DACs, but I prefer the Qutest to the iFi Pro iDSD which cost £2400. My Qutest was £1000 new and I find the sound absolutely amazing.
I completely agree with this reviewer.
And to stay on topic, it is a great match with LCD headphones.

Feb 28, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #4,740 of 7,334
I haven't tried those DACs, but I prefer the Qutest to the iFi Pro iDSD which cost £2400. My Qutest was £1000 new and I find the sound absolutely amazing.
I completely agree with this reviewer.
And to stay on topic, it is a great match with LCD headphones.

Its not about price. Its implementation. At the end of the day, even a 10,000 pound, euro, or dollar whatever delta sigma dac is still a delta sigma dac. The platform just cannot compete with proper r2r for organic natural sound, and that’s especially true when price matching. Spend the same money on a good r2r as you did on the qutest and enter a whole new world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back