Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Feb 26, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #4,711 of 7,334
The scailing aspect is something people don’t seem to gdt with the HD650. The 2C is a great headphone for subasd but overall resolution from the HD650, Atticus and Aeolus is superior to the 2C on most gear I’ve tried them with.
Resolution is not everything. (And IMO the HD650 is not more resolving than the 2C driven by proper DAC and amp.) I prefer the 2C to many higher resolving cans. Bass, smoothness, easy-listening, musicality are the strengths of the 2C. For long term listening these are the qualities I look for in a headphone. I know, there are more resolving and technically more capable headphones out there, I heard/owned some of them. But often at the end of the day I just want something relaxing and fun and not a technically perfect machine. The 2C delivers fun and bass like not many other headphones.
I think, by now you have made it clear that the HD650s are your absolute, all time favourite headphones and you were also often referring to the high-end gear you use with them. Would you mind to share with us at this point, what amp and DAC you use with your HD650s that make them the best headphones in the world? Apologies for the slight hint of sarcasm here, I am honestly interested.

Feb 26, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #4,715 of 7,334
It has heft, depth, speed, solidity, impact. Better than dynamics in general.

But dynamics do bass detail, texture and layering better in general.
I am not sure on that. You need £1000+ dynamic headphones to compete with planar bass. And planar bass will always win on low-end extension. (Talking about open back design.) I haven't heard any dynamic drivers to date that I'd prefer to a good planar transducer on pure bass performance.

Feb 26, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #4,716 of 7,334
I am not sure on that. You need £1000+ dynamic headphones to compete with planar bass. And planar bass will always win on low-end extension. (Talking about open back design.) I haven't heard any dynamic drivers to date that I'd prefer to a good planar transducer on pure bass performance.
I also prefer planar bass. It is a more pure bass experience to me.

Feb 26, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #4,718 of 7,334
Resolution is not everything. (And IMO the HD650 is not more resolving than the 2C driven by proper DAC and amp.) I prefer the 2C to many higher resolving cans. Bass, smoothness, easy-listening, musicality are the strengths of the 2C. For long term listening these are the qualities I look for in a headphone. I know, there are more resolving and technically more capable headphones out there, I heard/owned some of them. But often at the end of the day I just want something relaxing and fun and not a technically perfect machine. The 2C delivers fun and bass like not many other headphones.
I think, by now you have made it clear that the HD650s are your absolute, all time favourite headphones and you were also often referring to the high-end gear you use with them. Would you mind to share with us at this point, what amp and DAC you use with your HD650s that make them the best headphones in the world? Apologies for the slight hint of sarcasm here, I am honestly interested.
My favourite headphone is Aeolus.

Gear

DACs
Schiit Yggy
Mimby
Bimby
Modi 3

Amps
Black Widow
Balancing Act
Schiit Rag
Vali 2
Lyr 3
Liquid spark
Taurus MKII
Asgard 2

Feb 26, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #4,719 of 7,334
You should try a "fixed" HD800 on a good chain. You'll be surprised. It is truly HD600 on crack. Stage expands all directions. Imaging/accuracy improves. Details galore. Bass layering. Bass slam. All these while maintaining HD600 tonality.
I modded my old HD800. No matter what they didn’t have the tone of the HD600 series but they sounded damn good and I wouldn’t rule out owning another set. The 6K peak was bothersome though although modded it does help it to a degree.

Feb 26, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #4,720 of 7,334
Planar has heft, depth, speed, solidity, impact. Better than dynamics in general.

But dynamics do bass detail, texture and layering better in general.
Disagree completely. For the most part I find dynamics cleaner in all areas apart from bass. The 2C has fantastic bass. I do wish they had more impact but Planars in general lack actual slam and dynamism.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #4,721 of 7,334
My favourite headphone is Aeolus.

Gear

DACs
Schiit Yggy
Mimby
Bimby
Modi 3

Amps
Black Widow
Balancing Act
Schiit Rag
Vali 2
Lyr 3
Liquid spark
Taurus MKII
Asgard 2
Thanks for sharing. I haven't heard the Yggy, but I am 100% sure that my Chord Qutest kills all DACs under £2000. (And I have just tested the iFi Pro iDSD.)
The amps I own or auditioned seem to be on the same level (CMA600i, Taurus MKII).
As a conclusion then, it is a personal preference. You prefer HD650 to the 2C, I prefer 2C to the HD650.

Feb 26, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #4,722 of 7,334
Thanks for sharing. I haven't heard the Yggy, but I am 100% sure that my Chord Qutest kills all DACs under £2000. (And I have just tested the iFi Pro iDSD.)
The amps I own or auditioned seem to be on the same level (CMA600i, Taurus MKII).
As a conclusion then, it is a personal preference. You prefer HD650 to the 2C, I prefer 2C to the HD650.
I can’t stand Chord DACs and amps. In my honest opinion worst price performance ever. I did like the Mojo for what it was even though it was over hyped. The Yggy is beyond any Chord DAC I’ve heard I would recommend giving it a go.

Feb 26, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #4,723 of 7,334
I can’t stand Chord DACs and amps. In my honest opinion worst price performance ever. I did like the Mojo for what it was even though it was over hyped. The Yggy is beyond any Chord DAC I’ve heard I would recommend giving it a go.
IMO Chord DACs are revolutionary and they destroy the competition in each price range. I think they are class leading and the competition is a mile behind. I am sure TT2 leaves Yggy in the dust. I only heard/owned Mojo, Qutest, Hugo2 but the superiority of Chord DACs is out of question for me. The soundstage depth, spaciousness, lifelikeness, effortless details is something that no other DACs could match in their price range let it be Mojo or Hugo2/Qutest.

Feb 26, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #4,724 of 7,334
IMO Chord DACs are revolutionary and they destroy the competition in each price range. I think they are class leading and the competition is a mile behind. I am sure TT2 leaves Yggy in the dust. I only heard/owned Mojo, Qutest, Hugo2 but the superiority of Chord DACs is out of question for me. The soundstage depth, spaciousness, lifelikeness, effortless details is something that no other DACs could match in their price range let it be Mojo or Hugo2/Qutest.
You’ve never heard the Yggy. Go listen to one then we’ll talk. I don’t mean to be blunt but when people say they’ve never heard A and that B is probs better just adds to uneeded hyperbole.

Regarding Chord gear, I find they’re nice looking, well made but a rip off despite being UK based. The main thing is though is that if the user likes something that’s all that matters. When it comes to audio the best thing is to gdt yourself out there and experience gear.

For the majority of people looking for high end sound on a budget with any headphone I’d say Liquid spark and Modi 3. That combo made me rethink the amount of money I spend on this hobby lol.

Feb 26, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #4,725 of 7,334
You’ve never heard the Yggy. Go listen to one then we’ll talk. I don’t mean to be blunt but when people say they’ve never heard A and that B is probs better just adds to uneeded hyperbole.

Regarding Chord gear, I find they’re nice looking, well made but a rip off despite being UK based. The main thing is though is that if the user likes something that’s all that matters. When it comes to audio the best thing is to gdt yourself out there and experience gear.

For the majority of people looking for high end sound on a budget with any headphone I’d say Liquid spark and Modi 3. That combo made me rethink the amount of money I spend on this hobby lol.
Sure, the pace this hobby is improving is insane. The sound quality cost £6000 two years ago now you can buy for £1000 if you are smart.

You are right, I haven't heard the Yggy. I hope I will one day. Until then I stay happy with my Qutest which has opened an extremely enjoyable and transparent window to music for me. Well worth the relatively pricey investment. And I prefer the Qutest to the £2400 iFi Pro iCan btw which I tested recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back