Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Feb 13, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #4,561 of 7,334
It depends what you like and what you want. I can't listen to those Senns as due to the bass roll of I feel I miss half my music.

This is pretty much how I feel.

I mostly listen to EDM and some Hip Hop. My favourite genres of EDM tend to be more on the darker, bassier side. The HD660s sound great with piano loops and synth stuff, but the lack of sub bass has me reaching for my Sony XM3s. Whilst the Sonys lack the top end and wide sound stage of the HD660s, the bass is great for what I listen too.

I'm guessing the LCD-2Cs won't match a pair of closed back cans for bass, but I'm hoping they'll give the depth of sub bass the Senns are missing.

Feb 13, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #4,562 of 7,334
This is pretty much how I feel.

I mostly listen to EDM and some Hip Hop. My favourite genres of EDM tend to be more on the darker, bassier side. The HD660s sound great with piano loops and synth stuff, but the lack of sub bass has me reaching for my Sony XM3s. Whilst the Sonys lack the top end and wide sound stage of the HD660s, the bass is great for what I listen too.

I'm guessing the LCD-2Cs won't match a pair of closed back cans for bass, but I'm hoping they'll give the depth of sub bass the Senns are missing.
You won't get the boomy mid-bass of the Sony here. If you are after mid-bass quantity you might get disappointed. What you get is the highest quality bass that is linear and even the best dynamic drivers can't match due to their design. Sub-bass and clarity are the key words here.

Feb 13, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #4,563 of 7,334
You won't get the boomy mid-bass of the Sony here. If you are after mid-bass quantity you might get disappointed. What you get is the highest quality bass that is linear and even the best dynamic drivers can't match due to their design. Sub-bass and clarity are the key words here.

This is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear (no pun intended). Sounds like the Audezes might be the ideal headphone for my use.

Feb 13, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #4,564 of 7,334
I listen to a lot of edm myself, techno, tech house, and true progressive house are the main ones. The 2C is great for edm and not just because of the bass which is a given but the mids sound full and lush with treble that has all the detail but no harshness. If I'm feeling like I want more treble I just kick it up on my Loki and I'm good.

Also, I finally put my Dekoni Velour pads on after having the for a few months and the 2C still sound great. The bass has more punch to it and the mids do come through better, also I feel like the treble took a very small step back but nothing a small EQ bump can't fix. Maybe I just have to get use to them more. I do think the soundstage is a bit more open as well which is a big plus.

The overall comfort is better, though I thought they were with the stock pads as well. My ears don't get as hot so no more sweating which happened on long sessions. All in all I'm liking the new velour pads.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #4,565 of 7,334
This is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear (no pun intended). Sounds like the Audezes might be the ideal headphone for my use.
I have a feeling you will like the 2C. But you gotta like its tonality. It is laid-back.

The part I like about the 2C (other than build quality) is its bass impact. Try listening to aggressive big drum tracks, and you'll know what I mean. (1) Due to its large driver size, it has a large sound, (2) it has that Audeze bass weight and impact. Combine the two, it is really good with big drums.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #4,566 of 7,334
The 2C is a laid back headphone done right. I had a HD600 and I do regret getting rid of it but the 2C is a great hp.

Even though I'm always looking at other headphones that I'd like to get I'm perfectly happy with my 2C and Elear as my primary ones.

Feb 13, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #4,569 of 7,334
Now that I've had a few hours of listening with the Dekoni velour pads they do sound change the sound signature. The added bass, a touch more forward mids, and soundstage width are all great but to me the highs took more of a step back than I was expecting. I've seen people say they got brighter but I'm not hearing that. I've never had a velour pad make highs brighter. Now it's not so much you can't EQ the treble and get them back to where you want them.

After all said and done I feel the change was worth it because of the added benefit to the bass, mids, and soundstage.

Feb 13, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #4,570 of 7,334
Now that I've had a few hours of listening with the Dekoni velour pads they do sound change the sound signature. The added bass, a touch more forward mids, and soundstage width are all great but to me the highs took more of a step back than I was expecting. I've seen people say they got brighter but I'm not hearing that. I've never had a velour pad make highs brighter. Now it's not so much you can't EQ the treble and get them back to where you want them.

After all said and done I feel the change was worth it because of the added benefit to the bass, mids, and soundstage.

I wish Audeze offered the option from th factory. Something like LCD2V hehe. I'd get one

Feb 15, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #4,571 of 7,334

Interesting that you think the bass is better, because someone measured the velours vs the stock pads and there was less sub bass, they said overall they did not like the velours because they made the bass worse, why do you think the bass is better with the velours? Also I guess the velours might be a bit lighter, probably not much difference. Also are they more comfortable than the stock pads? Do they have less of a seal and less clamping pressure around the jaw area? Also how do the Velours compare to the stock pads + reveal, do the velours sound similar to using reveal?

Feb 15, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #4,572 of 7,334
Interesting that you think the bass is better, because someone measured the velours vs the stock pads and there was less sub bass, they said overall they did not like the velours because they made the bass worse, why do you think the bass is better with the velours? Also I guess the velours might be a bit lighter, probably not much difference. Also are they more comfortable than the stock pads? Do they have less of a seal and less clamping pressure around the jaw area? Also how do the Velours compare to the stock pads + reveal, do the velours sound similar to using reveal?

The velour pads have less subbass but are overall much more neutral. Personally I like the upper mid dip (I certainly don't think I'm missing anything, plus nice warm tone), so I use the stock leather pads.

Feb 16, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #4,573 of 7,334
Well I went to the local audio store to have a listen to the 2Cs. The sub bass is sooo much more meaty than the HD660s I have. I listened to about twenty minutes of a playlist I'd put together on my DAP which had a variety of the kind of music I listen too. Overall I was very impressed. Placed my order straight away as they were out of stock other than the demo pair. Should pick them up by next weekend.

Feb 16, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #4,574 of 7,334
Right choose, i too looked at HD660s too but went with LCD 2C and not looking back a single second at Sennheiser HD6xx series. Just get good amp and it will sing, it is true LCD 2C will benefit from 1-4 watt over power :D My Audio-GD NFB 28.28 (true balanced AMP/DAC with 9,5 watts at 25 ohms) is amazing with LCD 2C. Dream match make in heaven i must say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back