Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Feb 3, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #4,502 of 7,334
Thanks, that helps.

What do you think of the 1990?

The 1990 wasn't quite for me, I sent it back.
It is a great headphone, present bass, clear sparkle up top, seemed quite well balanced with high resolution and detail.
I went into the purchase knowing it was going to have a smaller soundstage than some of my headphones, as well as being brighter with more detail in the highs. I wanted one pair to be like that in my collection, but I just couldn't get into it and that it's not to my ideal sound preference. I feel like I'm noticing a trend in preferring mid-forward headphones with some warmth, which is funny because the 400i were my top picks for music until these new additions.

The order of purchase was 6xx, 2c, then 1990, played with A and B pads but decided to return them as I still want to get one more planar eventually wether it be the lcd-x, hex v2, or Arya I'm not too sure yet.

Feb 3, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #4,503 of 7,334
The 1990 wasn't quite for me, I sent it back.
It is a great headphone, present bass, clear sparkle up top, seemed quite well balanced with high resolution and detail.
I went into the purchase knowing it was going to have a smaller soundstage than some of my headphones, as well as being brighter with more detail in the highs. I wanted one pair to be like that in my collection, but I just couldn't get into it and that it's not to my ideal sound preference. I feel like I'm noticing a trend in preferring mid-forward headphones with some warmth, which is funny because the 400i were my top picks for music until these new additions.

The order of purchase was 6xx, 2c, then 1990, played with A and B pads but decided to return them as I still want to get one more planar eventually wether it be the lcd-x, hex v2, or Arya I'm not too sure yet.
I like you prefer the warmer end of the spectrum. Have you thought about the Mr. Speakers Ether 2? That will be my next planar headphone. The audioquest nighthawk is my next dynamic headphone.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #4,504 of 7,334
I like you prefer the warmer end of the spectrum. Have you thought about the Mr. Speakers Ether 2? That will be my next planar headphone. The audioquest nighthawk is my next dynamic headphone.

I definitely have thought about it, price is a bit much especially being the Canadian dollar vs usd at this time.
I just picked up the Ether Flow which was in the back of my mind as my TOTL for a couple years, but only with a balanced cable so I must wait for the 789 drop or a sale on the Liquid Platinum to use them! Gives me more time to spent with the 2c and 6xx though, as those are new additions anyway.

Nighthawk sounds like a good choice for dynamic, that was among a consideration of mine along with the 1990 and Elex. Feels a bit like I prefer planars overall, though.

Feb 3, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #4,505 of 7,334
I definitely have thought about it, price is a bit much especially being the Canadian dollar vs usd at this time.
I just picked up the Ether Flow which was in the back of my mind as my TOTL for a couple years, but only with a balanced cable so I must wait for the 789 drop or a sale on the Liquid Platinum to use them! Gives me more time to spent with the 2c and 6xx though, as those are new additions anyway.

Nighthawk sounds like a good choice for dynamic, that was among a consideration of mine along with the 1990 and Elex. Feels a bit like I prefer planars overall, though.
Be sure to post your comparison to the 2C and flow when you get an amp for the flows! :)

I've read and seen reviews on nighthawk being one of the most comfy headphones on the market. That along with its relaxed sound should make it a great chilling set.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #4,506 of 7,334
Can we still buy the microsuede earpads from Audeze if we quote our serial number or are they just discontinued ? Need a pair fast or it will be swimming pool ears this summer.

Feb 3, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #4,507 of 7,334
Ordered Audio-GD NFB 28.28 AMP/DAC (got it cheaply), anyone tested NFB 28s filters with LCD 2C, what would give best soundstage?

Feb 3, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #4,508 of 7,334
Be sure to post your comparison to the 2C and flow when you get an amp for the flows! :)

I've read and seen reviews on nighthawk being one of the most comfy headphones on the market. That along with its relaxed sound should make it a great chilling set.

I definitely will, I have not found enough comparisons with the Ether Flow which I find surprising! If it takes too long to get one of those amps, I might look for some Ether connectors and build a SE cable.

Yes, up there with the 712 in comfort from my readings.

Quick question: are the little Allen screws on the headband adjustment adjustable? Bought my 2c used and the left adjustment seems very loose, if you don't handle the 2c like a baby it will adjust on the left side.

Feb 3, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #4,509 of 7,334
I definitely will, I have not found enough comparisons with the Ether Flow which I find surprising! If it takes too long to get one of those amps, I might look for some Ether connectors and build a SE cable.

Yes, up there with the 712 in comfort from my readings.

Quick question: are the little Allen screws on the headband adjustment adjustable? Bought my 2c used and the left adjustment seems very loose, if you don't handle the 2c like a baby it will adjust on the left side.

I'm almost positive they are fixed in place and should not ever be messed with unless they are faulty and loose to begin with. Some people had issues with hat on earlier versions and solved it with some adhesive I think.

Wait nnm I'm taling about the ear cup screws not the headband. I don't know about the headband,b ut I'd say nothing is adjustable besides the earcup length bars

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #4,510 of 7,334
Thinking about grabbing a pair of LCD 2Cs (currently 20% off on ebay AU) but there's nowhere nearby I can listen before buying and there is no return window in Australia if I don't like them.

My current cans are:

DT 1990 with the A pads, these are my daily drivers, I sometimes use a Loki EQ to bump the sub bass slightly and apply a small cut to the highs, but I'm also happy using them with no EQ.

HD6XX, I like them until I compare to the 1990s, I just like everything better on the 1990s, better bass, clarity, detail and comfort (pads are too shallow on the 6xx which drives me crazy). I haven't used these enough to fully break the pads in so they might have some room for improvement in the sound, but will also push harder on my ears. I'll probably end up selling these.

I haven't heard anything else in the same class as the two above.

I'd like to hear thoughts from anyone who has compared one or both of these to the LCD 2C.

How much of an improvement are they over the 650/6XX?
Owning the HD650 and the LCD-2C they’re different presentations. The LCD-2C has cleaner bass but the impact on the HD650’s is more present. The HD650 is more detailed, smoother and present on the mids while the 2C is more reserved sounding until the treble where things get a bit rougher. The 650 have more upper mid bite making things a bit more energetic. I find the LCD-2C easier to run in terms of getting the most out of them where as the HD650 sound best on more upper end gear so performance can vary. If one likes the HD650’s sound then it might be worth investing on a better amp or DAC and they’re perform better than the 2C but if not the 2C are an option to consider if you like a relaxed headphone.

Feb 3, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #4,511 of 7,334
Owning the HD650 and the LCD-2C they’re different presentations. The LCD-2C has cleaner bass but the impact on the HD650’s is more present. The HD650 is more detailed, smoother and present on the mids while the 2C is more reserved sounding until the treble where things get a bit rougher. The 650 have more upper mid bite making things a bit more energetic. I find the LCD-2C easier to run in terms of getting the most out of them where as the HD650 sound best on more upper end gear so performance can vary. If one likes the HD650’s sound then it might be worth investing on a better amp or DAC and they’re perform better than the 2C but if not the 2C are an option to consider if you like a relaxed headphone.
Ding ding ding.

Feb 5, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #4,512 of 7,334
I just thought some of you guys might find it interesting that apparently Audeze has quietly updated the power requirements for all the headphones on their website. Has anyone else noticed this? The recommended power level for all Audeze headphones used to be 1-4W, and now it says min. 100mW, recommended above 250mW and max. power handling 5W. I wonder why they have changed it. Have they suddenly realised you don't need 1W? Or they just want to sell more headphones to people with less powerful sources? Or a mixture of both? Or they have realised 'properly driven' can be an even more relative term? Anyway, from now on the recommended power level for all Audeze headphones is only 250mW+, except the LCD4 which is 500mW+.

Feb 5, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #4,513 of 7,334
I just thought some of you guys might find it interesting that apparently Audeze has quietly updated the power requirements for all the headphones on their website. Has anyone else noticed this? The recommended power level for all Audeze headphones used to be 1-4W, and now it says min. 100mW, recommended above 250mW and max. power handling 5W. I wonder why they have changed it. Have they suddenly realised you don't need 1W? Or they just want to sell more headphones to people with less powerful sources? Or a mixture of both? Or they have realised 'properly driven' can be an even more relative term? Anyway, from now on the recommended power level for all Audeze headphones is only 250mW+, except the LCD4 which is 500mW+.
We do know that the latest models are a little more efficient. But I still find that they sound better with more powerful sources. Not only can Audeze headphones handle more power but they beg to be driven hard. They are one of the few headphones that sound better at higher volumes.

Feb 5, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #4,514 of 7,334
We do know that the latest models are a little more efficient. But I still find that they sound better with more powerful sources. Not only can Audeze headphones handle more power but they beg to be driven hard. They are one of the few headphones that sound better at higher volumes.
I know. That's why I found this recent update interesting.

Feb 5, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #4,515 of 7,334

Given that it takes only about 80mW to get the LCD-2 to 120 db (youch!), the 1-4W spec always struck me as a little silly. They definitely don't need that level of voltage. I always assumed that they were giving that spec so that people would pair them with a more powerful amp that can deliver more current, which is what they really need to sound their best. As you suggested, maybe they nixed that 1-4W number to appeal to more people, like those who mostly use a DAP or portable amp.

Audeze still includes the caveat: "Excessive power levels can damage your headphones. Be sure to stay within the rated power level of 5W RMS to minimize the risk of damage, which is not covered under warranty." So, I doubt much has changed about the drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back