Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #4,381 of 7,334
I received my LCD2C a few days ago, and I really like it. It fits exactly my tastes!

I currently run it with a schiit stack (Modi 2, Magni 3). While it does the job quite well, I have read here and there that it's not the best fit. I have only ever owned 2 amps (Darkvoice 336SE and Magni 3), so can't really compare to others. I was thinking of getting the Massdrop THX 789 (a great combo apparently), but it would come a bit pricey (I live in Europe). However, I just found out about the JDS Atom that supposedly runs great with the LCD2C and is really affordable. What's your opinion on this? Would it synergize better with the 2C? I'm otherwise open for recommandations. I have a 100-400€ budget, but I like great-value items :)

Cheers!
I personally do not like the magni 3 with the lcd2c at all. But I also pretty much hate the magni 3 with everything except the hd6xx, and even that needs some loki eq to make it bearable for high volumes. I recommend the Asgard 2 if you want to stay with Schiit. Its $250 US so maybe a bit more for you but should still be under the stock price of the THX. Imo th Asgard 2 was made for planars. My hifiman he-400i pretty much have to be hooked to either it or the thx to be bearable. Another funny thing I noticed is that even th schiit website for the Asgard 2 has it hooked to a set of hifiman planars, so that tells you what the oem thinks about planars with the Asgard 2 as well. I do prefer the thx to the Asgard 2 though. Its just got the clean smooth sound that really brings out the best in the 2C and your sources. The only thing the Asgard has on it is perceived sound stage.

Jan 21, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #4,382 of 7,334
I drive mine with a magni3 and it works just fine.
If you're happy with them, then Don't worry about it..Ther's nothing wrong with using the magni3. It's linear ( frequency response ) , transparent ( noise and distortion below the level of audibility ) , and plenty enough power to drive the lcd2c.

I think th magni 3 is too grainy and shrill for the 2C. It really makes the sparkle up top on the 2C stick out too much for my tastes. The Asgard 2 is a much better pairing, for just a bit more money and if you prefer to run matching schiit gear. I think the magni 3 does best with really dark dynamic headphones.

Jan 21, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #4,383 of 7,334
Does anyone else has hard time returning headphones to Audeze? I ordered LCD2C hoping that I could return them if I didn’t like them enough. On Audeze’s website was stated that there is 60 day return period with charging 5% restocking fee. Well I decided that I prefer Elex over these and after following the instructions on the Audeze’s website and emaiing them multiple times, nobody has replied to me. Anyone else with similar experience?

Jan 21, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #4,384 of 7,334
Does anyone else has hard time returning headphones to Audeze? I ordered LCD2C hoping that I could return them if I didn’t like them enough. On Audeze’s website was stated that there is 60 day return period with charging 5% restocking fee. Well I decided that I prefer Elex over these and after following the instructions on the Audeze’s website and emaiing them multiple times, nobody has replied to me. Anyone else with similar experience?
I'm just curious of what amp and dac you are using with the Elex? I've thought of getting those, but am leaning towards the clear instead.

Jan 21, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #4,386 of 7,334
I’ve been using Dragonfly Red as a dac combined with Aune x7s balanced - very impressive sound and a Fulla 2 occasionally.

Interesting. I wonder if the reason you prefer the Elex is because it just barely meets the proper damping ratio with its 80 ohm impedance vs the lcd2c's lower impedance with your Aune. I'd say even the Elex is cutting it close with the Aune, but its good you like the sound. Thanks for replying!

Jan 21, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #4,387 of 7,334
Interesting. I wonder if the reason you prefer the Elex is because it just barely meets the proper damping ratio with its 80 ohm impedance vs the lcd2c's lower impedance with your Aune. I'd say even the Elex is cutting it close with the Aune, but its good you like the sound. Thanks for replying!
The reason why I prefer the Elex is not because it makes sense on paper. I don’t care about the little output impedance calculation. I souned better to my ears with my favorite music. My girlfriend tried both and agreed with me. One stays home, one goes back. That’s all!

Jan 21, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #4,388 of 7,334
The reason why I prefer the Elex is not because it makes sense on paper. I don’t care about the little output impedance calculation. I souned better to my ears with my favorite music. My girlfriend tried both and agreed with me. One stays home, one goes back. That’s all!
That's why I firmly believe in the ears test. So many measurement tests make people stray away from certain gear combos out of fear, when if they just tried them they might actually find a personal gem. The same thing applies to me and my schiit mimby. The little thing has abysmal measurements compared to one like the Topping D50, but on the majority of my gear I prefer the mimby over the Topping. Go figure :)

Jan 21, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #4,389 of 7,334
I think th magni 3 is too grainy and shrill for the 2C. It really makes the sparkle up top on the 2C stick out too much for my tastes. The Asgard 2 is a much better pairing, for just a bit more money and if you prefer to run matching schiit gear. I think the magni 3 does best with really dark dynamic headphones.
I don't know. It doesn't sound shrill and grainy to me.

Jan 21, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #4,390 of 7,334
I don't know. It doesn't sound shrill and grainy to me.

Its just my preference. I like a pretty dark sound. I even reduce treble on Sennheiser hd6xxs lol. I also like my Beyerdynamic DT 770 M drummer's editions alot. Those are literally Beyerdynamics for people who hate beyerdynamics. THey are even darker than HD650s and hd6xx, but they are very relaxing to me sonically. They are very neutral sounding to me as I can hear everything in the recording as though its pushed back and surrounding me. Would be perfect if not for the absurd clamping force.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #4,391 of 7,334
I didnt hear the elex yet. I heard the clears. It is a totally different sound sig from the 2C. Im not surprised you chose the elex.

Jan 22, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #4,392 of 7,334
Thank you all for your answers. Since it's hard for me to tell whether I like the Magni 3 (because of the lack of other amps to compare it with), I feel curious (the slippery slope some of you mentionned). I also read several times in this thread that the Asgard 2 is a good match - I'll be patient and try to find a second hand one so that it remains a small investment.

Jan 22, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #4,393 of 7,334
I know we all have our own preferences when it comes to audio equipment but the Magni3 is a good little amp for under $100. I think the 2C sounds good with my Mimby and Loki setup and it never sounds grainy to me at all. It has plenty of power to push the 2C just fine and overall sounds clean and resolving to me.

Jan 22, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #4,394 of 7,334
I read a lot about different segments of this hobby recently. How much we spend on headphones, how much on amps. How much we are willing to invest in a good DAC, etc. Transparency over all vs. coloration/distortion debates. SS vs. tubes in general.
The main take away is perhaps the extreme subjectivity of this hobby. It is like ordering in a restaurant. People simply have different tastes. If someone loves bone marrow on a toast and tries to convince you, veggie sushi eater, that that's the only meal that really satisfies your taste buds, would you follow him blindly? (I love bone marrow btw. ) Sure, nothing is wrong with trying, in fact I urge you to try as many different things as you can. BUT, believe only your own taste buds. Your own hearing. Not posts on Head-Fi. Posts here are only useful to some extent. They can be great guidelines but take everything with a grain of salt. You won't know if it is true for you unless you try. There are 7 billion truths on this Earth.

Back to my readings. At one point I read collecting headphones and settling down on an amp is equally valid than settling down on a headphone and collecting amps. First this statement struck me, as most of the forum members on head-fi seem to collect headphones (even TOTL ones) and pair them with budget amps. This is actually not as big of a surprise, since headphones make the biggest difference. However, I think many audiophiles get lost in pursuing a better headphone. After a certain level and discovering your taste in music and in sound representation you pretty much know what 1-2-3 headphones you like and can afford. At this point instead of trying several other side-grades (more headphones) it is more than worth it to play with your amps. In the amp world, similar to headphones there is a huge difference between $200-$500-$1000-$2000-$4000 category. If you found your headphones, it is well worth to upgrade your amps instead of another headphone purchase.

In my opinion DACs are pretty much on the same level as amps in a system. The clarity, precision, speed, transparency, details, airiness they can bring is 50% of your chain. If the amp is the other 50%.

I don't understand folks with several $1000+ headphones and an $500 amp. The same way I don't understand folks with $2000+ amps and $500 headphones.
If you want to get the most out of all your equipment, your links in your audio chain must be more or less from the same (price) category. If the 2C is $800, than your DAC/amp combo must be at least from the $600-1200 region. Otherwise you are missing out.

I know, price can be deceptive and it is only a remote indicator of quality, but in general, at least in this price range, I think you get what I mean.

If you had listened to some $1000+ headphones and still think the 2C is for you, than you can go for higher-end amps. The limit is only your budget.
In my experience the 2C is the best headphone I can buy under $1500. And I don't want to spend more than that on headphones. Therefore I started to experiment with amps. I will share the results later.

All I am saying, give the 2C what they deserve source and amp-wise. Especially if you feel you've found your headphones.
And don't follow head-fi posts blindly. Not even this one.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #4,395 of 7,334
Reading my previous long post might made you think why this chap is settling down with the 2C at least for now.
Here is why:
I mostly listen to ambient and electronic based music. Although sometimes I also like some female vocal based acoustic or occasional classical music. Bass is mission critical to me. Flat sub-bass extension is a must. I want to hear those lowest notes as I hear the others. Only planars can do that.
I also often have long listening sessions. 2-6 hours. Therefore the sound signature must be gentle. No harsh treble, a bit of warmth. But still be as resolving as possible since I do like details. I don't like mid-bass hump since I bought the 2C.
So, I need a resolving but relaxing headphone with excellent bass response. Dynamic drivers just don't deliver the sub-bass of planars. Focal Clear has a great bass for open dynamic but still lacks in sub-bass compared to the 2C. Not to mention its energetic and excited character. Not for long term listening.

I did like the Nighthawks for their smooth and easy character, but they are divisive. You either listen to NH only and no other headphones or listen to other headphones and ignore the NH. After the 2C I couldn't go back.

In my experience the 2C brings the smooth and dark character of the NH as much as possible. Brings resolution and details compared to the Clears as much as possible. With the NH I would sink in the mud if I went back. The Clear just throws details in your face in an aggressive manner. 2C for me is the golden middle line. My path.

And they hugely benefit from better source and amp. Their scalability is exceptional.

Soon I will share my findings how my system (2Qute+CMA600i) stood up against the Cavalli Liquid Platinum and the iFi Pro iCan/Pro iDSD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back