Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Mar 19, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #2,491 of 7,334
Well, I did not expect this either :p However, its important to note that clarity and soundstage are equally important in portraying good sound (in addition to these other attributes). Neither of these headphones are particularly famous for their soundstage, so that's in reference to each other.

Mar 19, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #2,492 of 7,334
I usually find Zeos reviews really entertaining and that's about it. In this one though he really drove me nuts with his "comparisons" of how he remembered other LCD's sounding. Just horrible impressions. I'm pretty sure I remember him calling LCD3's bright in this video?!? What?
His entertainment factor would work if he didn't act like this arrogant morron. He never emphesize that it is his own opinion, insted he calls people stupid if they don't buy a product he praise. His compairsons were indeed useless, and calling the lcd 3 bright is one of the most ridiculus statements I have ever seen in a headphone review.

Mar 19, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #2,493 of 7,334
From my experience with all the LCD's I've had, never really felt their soundstage width wise was a staple of their house sound (XC being absolute horrid soundstage wise). I watched some of this guys videos before and usually can't get through the entire video, they're way too long but maybe that's what his target audience likes. From those reviews, it's easy to get the gist of what he will love or hate sound signature wise, but it's 50/50 (or 40/60 as in not in agreement).

If I recall, this is the same dude who thinks the Chord Mojo is all hype, perhaps that's bias on my part because I enjoy Chord DACs but some of his DAC and amp top picks wouldn't be my top picks (it's all subjective...). I do see where @EDMlord is coming from about the entertainment : arrogant ratio needs to be somewhat dialed in, however, I'm betting that's what the majority of his audience enjoys or they wouldn't be returning to watch his content.

I never considered the LCD-3 to be bright but it does seem a lot more refined in the treble region than the LCD-2C, as I find the 2C to have far more grain than probably others would like if they're more into LCD3/4's. Far as LCD-X, I actually like the 2C for the genre's I use them for but like I said before, overall, I would take the X if they were the same price and the only planar/LCD in my collection.

Mar 19, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #2,494 of 7,334
Maybe we just have a different definition of wide v. theirs because I keep seeing this & it's blowing my mind.
I enjoy the gritty sound of the LCD-2C but I would almost go as far as saying my Aeon Flow Closed seems to have a tad more width in the soundstage department; Aeon Closed is what I wished the LCD-XC was in many ways.

Mar 19, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #2,495 of 7,334
It drives me crazy as well, especally the fact that he talks like he knows everything. With his ridiculus overhyping, he has misguided me on no less than 2 headphone purchases (when i was new to this hobby). Why does this staight up horrible audio reviewer have to be the the most known on youtube....
He really does not know much and i try to steer as many people away from his reviews as i can. I find him a complete moron for the most part. Just rambles on about nothing and truly has no real clue.

Mar 19, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #2,496 of 7,334
I'm listening to a pair now. I was actually expecting it to sound warm and dark, and that's not how it sounds like. It doesn't sound dark at all, but also not bright either as I can turn up the volume without being limited to the treble. It actually sounds clearer than I was expecting. I was expecting warmth to reduce mids clarity, but it's quite clear sounding across the spectrum. I was also expecting some bass bleed to the mids, but nope, no bleed at all. I'm surprised because this is not how I recall the original LCD-2, and it's clear sounding than the original. Best part is, it's not fatiguing at all, the treble doesn't get offensive, but also not dark sounding to me. I like the treble level, it's at the level for pretty relaxed listening. When I first put it on and listened, I didn't get an impression that treble was dull or veiled, I got an impression that treble was at a pretty relaxed level, not peaky.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #2,497 of 7,334
I'm listening to a pair now. I was actually expecting it to sound warm and dark, and that's not how it sounds like. It doesn't sound dark at all, but also not bright either as I can turn up the volume without being limited to the treble. It actually sounds clearer than I was expecting. I was expecting warmth to reduce mids clarity, but it's quite clear sounding across the spectrum. I was also expecting some bass bleed to the mids, but nope, no bleed at all. I'm surprised because this is not how I recall the original LCD-2, and it's clear sounding than the original. Best part is, it's not fatiguing at all, the treble doesn't get offensive, but also not dark sounding to me. I like the treble level, it's at the level for pretty relaxed listening. When I first put it on and listened, I didn't get an impression that treble was dull or veiled, I got an impression that treble was at a pretty relaxed level, not peaky.

Yep pretty much. I compared them to a pre-fazor 2.2 and they're more different than alike. I think a lot of it has to do with the newer drivers. They're just technically a lot better.

Mar 19, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #2,498 of 7,334
---

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #2,499 of 7,334

What amp are you using, if I may?

Mar 20, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #2,502 of 7,334
I like listening to these. When you put on new headphones for the first time, there are characteristics that immediately strikes you like too bright or veiled, and these hasn't done that. I get a sense that bass doesn't have lower mid warmth to make it sound warm. Bass has impact, but not so snappy, in which snappy can come off a bit offensive. I think punchiness level is not too forward, which is good. I don't like too punchy forwardness or snappy or sharp sounding. Bass is more of controlled type with good impact and quantity(especially in the lower end) rather than with warm decay. This is out my SS amp. So, it's a nice fun headphone for many genres music.

I think the cups(pads) creates a bigger feel of the bass impact.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #2,503 of 7,334
^^Wow what a great comparison. I have to say: I don't want to try any of those other headphones if you think the LCD2C has the best soundstage because to me they were absolutely claustrophobic.

Would you recommend the Schiit stack for LCD-2C?

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #2,504 of 7,334
Would you reccomend the Schiit stack for LCD-2C?

I thought it sounded crisp and bold. I didn't get to compare it with many other sources. But I generally adore the mimby/magni . Even if it doesn't blow your pants off, it's almost impossible to find something that doesn't sound good with it.

Mar 20, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #2,505 of 7,334
Would you recommend the Schiit stack for LCD-2C?
The vali 2 and modi 2 multibit sound pretty amazing with it, especiaj ly with vintage nos tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back