Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #1,411 of 7,334
IMG_6850.jpeg
Image of the drivers courtesy of TheIceMan93. This provides a good visual for why very little air gets through the baffle (thus creating said seal); there's nowhere for the air to pass through (except for through unsealed parts of the driver itself).

Also, fun fact it seems Audeze has just flipped over the LCD-3 grills, painted them, and labeled them "LCD-2C". Not sure if they're all like this, I was under the impression that my grills were made of the same glass fiber nylon as the rings.

Jan 2, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #1,412 of 7,334
The general consensus for what I've been reading on the HPA-2C from around the web (no personal experience obviously) is that there is a buzz for low impedance/low efficiency headphones. I'm guessing (and hoping) that with the LCD-2C's that this wouldn't be an issue considering they are 70 ohms.

Assuming ~59 mA is the maximum current it can handle and the 32 ohm max power spec doesn't distort, then it might allow ~4 V / ~240 mW across the 70 ohm load without that distortion which I am guessing would be very loud. It would need to allow 125 mA to have the same voltage (~10V) across the source and load impedances as 300/600 ohm meaning some of the voltage dial would be unusable. I guess I can't comment in practice with the HPA-2 but I will see with the HPA-1 (though maybe not in physically testing the power limits...).

Jan 2, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #1,413 of 7,334
anyone know if the old ribbon balanced cable from Audeze is discontinued? Will the new ones be the braided style like the SE one from the 2C?

This post reminds me. Recently I got a seriously good "upgrade" cable from ZMF w/new headphones. The price starts @~$60, and these cables (mini-XLR jacks) fit all Audeze, as far as I know.

IMO it would be hard to beat this combination of quality & price http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-cables/zmf-ofc-upgrade-cable

Jan 2, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #1,414 of 7,334
Just want to chime in with my experience on the popping/crinkling. It doesn't happen all the time, and sometimes I can't get it to do it at all (the point of grabbing them, adjusting, listening, putting away). Yesterday however, I was careful to put them on my head and couldn't get them to stop. Any sort of adjustment or movement on my head made them sound as if I was flicking a plastic grocery bag with my fingers. After they were settled and listened to them for about an hour, I took them off with no noise at all. As far as a seal, I wish these weren't quite as tight, as the seal is quite noticeable. Besides that very comfortable. I'm not really adding anything new here, but merely confirming what others have already said.

Jan 2, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #1,416 of 7,334
Are these really considered open backs? They do not seem so open to me.

Audeze headphones might not emphasize soundstage width, but I would say that they have a great 3D-like holographic presentation. However, I do find them to have more soundstage width than an HD 650.

Jan 2, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #1,417 of 7,334
This post reminds me. Recently I got a seriously good "upgrade" cable from ZMF w/new headphones. The price starts @~$60, and these cables (mini-XLR jacks) fit all Audeze, as far as I know.

IMO it would be hard to beat this combination of quality & price http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-cables/zmf-ofc-upgrade-cable

Oh, that looks like a nice cable. Could be a good buy if I need a balanced cable, much cheaper than the Audeze one.

Just want to chime in with my experience on the popping/crinkling. It doesn't happen all the time, and sometimes I can't get it to do it at all (the point of grabbing them, adjusting, listening, putting away). Yesterday however, I was careful to put them on my head and couldn't get them to stop. Any sort of adjustment or movement on my head made them sound as if I was flicking a plastic grocery bag with my fingers. After they were settled and listened to them for about an hour, I took them off with no noise at all. As far as a seal, I wish these weren't quite as tight, as the seal is quite noticeable. Besides that very comfortable. I'm not really adding anything new here, but merely confirming what others have already said.

Wow, it sounds like a grocery bag? I've never heard that on my 2C's or my old pre-fazor LCD-2's when I had those.

Jan 2, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #1,419 of 7,334
Imagine if you grabbed the middle of the grocery bag and pulled it tight, then flicked it with your middle finger like you would a dead fly... That's what it sounds like.
i ddint hear anything like that when I still have the Classic just return it back to Audeze. But for DAC/AMP I recommend the JDS lab element or paid a bid more for HPA-3U which should plenty of powers for it, I'm not sure it will make any difference just my 2cent.

Jan 2, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #1,420 of 7,334
Hello everyone. First post, go easy on me.

Placed my order on the 27th, Wednesday, and they just came in today.

1st day thoughts and impressions:

The build quality is phenomenal. And the design is gorgeous. I feel as if I treat these well, they can last me for years to come.

They're also pretty d*mn comfortable for being so big and fairly heavy. They fit my head pretty well. (I have a big head.) And fit my ears perfectly, however, I'm weird and I have almost perfectly round ears.

They also sound pretty good too. Atleast for sure better than my ATH-M50s, hah. These are only my second pair of high end headphones so I'm not an audiophile by any means, so I won't even try to go into detail about the mids, treble and bass. (And stuff like that.)

@arftech @Andrew Rieger @gLer @ShamuellJackson @franz12

Let's get more data on the crinkle/pop. I don't think it's actually a problem. I've been talking to people on other sites as well and it seems like it's a common thing and happens on other headphones with very thin diaphragms (e.g. Stax, other thin Audeze headphones).

Info like this would be useful for people who don't get any kind of rice krispies sound when putting the headphones on: Do you have long hair that could break the seal? Do you wear glasses, alo breaking the seal? Is your face/head shaped in such a way that you don't get a great seal? If you don't normally get the crinkling sound when you put them on, do you get it if you push down on the cups?

As far as I can tell, this is not a quality control issue at all and is simply something that occurs for people who get a good seal on headphones with particularly thin diaphragms.

I'll try to get in touch with Audeze this week to find out if it is an issue.

Also, I compiled my thoughts a bit more and posted them as a review if you want to see it all in one place instead of scattered across this thread: Audeze LCD2 Classic Stream of Consciousness Review

I noticed this one time when pushing in on the left pad onto my ear. Took them off, put them back on, tried again, couldn't get it to happen again. I have no hair on my head (completely bald). And I don't wear glasses either.

IIRC, the headphones make a seal between the ear and the driver, and doesn’t let much or any air pass through the baffle.
I definitely feel negative pressure on my ear drums if I take them off too quickly.

I see. I'll have to test this out when I get back to the office.

I had a chance to test it today. I do indeed feel a suction when pressing the pads on my ears. However, I do not hear any of the popping or crinkling others are reporting.

I also definitely agree with you too. There is for sure some pressure going on here with the pads. However, the headphones feel perfectly fine / great if just left alone on your head.

For $600, these are definitely worth it. They look great, they sound great, they feel great, and they should last me a long time.

No real complaints.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #1,421 of 7,334
I have good results on the LCD-2 with my Audio GD NFB-12 DAC/AMP. Plenty of power, fairly neutral sounding and tight bass. It can even drive the 600 Ohm vintage AKG headphones of which my other DACs/Amps run out of steam.
Can confirm. I am finally back home with my Classics and Audio-GD NFB 12.1. It handles them with ease, and sounds lovely. Obviously can't compare them to anything else, but I'm content.

First impressions, my favorite Ella Fitzgerald album "Sings Sweet Songs for Swingers" sounds glorious. Vocals right where they should be, up front and lush.

Next up I listened to some hip-hop....Flower Boy by Tyler The Creator. They definitely feel more substantial in the low end compared to the LCD-2F and LCD-3 I tried at Echo Audio. I see why people call these dark now, and they are easy to listen to. There are some sharper highs and bass feels a bit distorted but perhaps that's just poor mastering coming out on better headphones?

Wow these can slam. The sub bass on Me and Your Mama by Childish Gambino is really well done.

Listened to some 90's hip-hop as well; For Corners by Digable Planets and everything is so smoooooooooth my dudes.

More to come...

EDIT: How many of you are using the Reveal LCD-2 Plugin for these? Or other EQ settings?

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #1,423 of 7,334
Got my first set of Audeze cans (or cans over $500 for that matter) in the mail today. Couldn't pass up the holiday special pricing as I've always wanted to get into the Audeze lineup but couldn't justify spending over $1k without having worked my way up. Here's my quick unboxing impressions after a couple of hours listening through the Chord Mojo.

Imgur album because I couldn't figure out how to embed images without them being huge: https://imgur.com/gallery/TguMq

The Goods

From an unboxing perspective, it is very clear that Audeze has cut as much extraneous cost from the product as possible in order to make the price point palatable for their cost structure. There literally is no "LCD-2 Classic box" unless you count form cut foam inside the shipping box. No wood cups, but I'm glad they didn't stick plastic rings in there just to force a larger soundstage. It just goes straight from the aluminum driver housing into pads.

The included extras are only the essentials: cable (terminates in 3/4", no adapter included so you'll need to have an adapter or a different cable for 3.5mm sources), USB stick with warranty/user guide, and the warranty card with serial number). I didn't expect the headphone to come with extras like the wonderful hardcase that the mainline LCD headsets come with, but an included adapter would have been nice. Or a 3.5mm jack on the cable with a 1/4" adapter would have been even better.

The headband is a huge area of improvement. Even though it's probably actually cheaper than the stuffed/padded stitched leather headbands that the OG audezes carry, it is significantly easier to wear comfortably and feels much softer on the head due to wider weight distribution. Seriously, the PU headband is thicc.

Speaking of things that are thicc, the pads. Slightly uneven in thiccness upon close examination, but they're still incredibly comfortable and are right up there with the best down pillows I've used in terms of how plush and soft they are.

The PU leather they use (call it protein leather, call it vegan leather, it's all polyurethane of varying quality) is really good. As someone who's delved into the depths of PU swatches for work, I am impressed with their sourcing and am fully approving of the materials.

The Sound

Only going to post quick impressions since I have barely had these for more than a few hours. The headphones are surprisingly sensitive. On my chord mojo, they are significantly louder than my HE-4XX at the same volume setting. Tried plugging it straight into my Galaxy S8 just for shiggles, and the phone drives it to plenty loud. Obviously quality suffers, but the volume is there and it's not horrible. Still outperforms other "mobile" headphones (in sound quality) on just the phone.

Bass extension is great, really enjoying how fun and relaxed these sound. Mids and high notes are much easier to listen to than on my other headsets which always give me a bit of fatigue as I'm (psychosomatically) sensitive to higher notes.

That's about it for now! Will do a more in depth review as well as comparison through different sources like my laptop, Schiit Fulla, and more complete notes for the Mojo.

Jan 3, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #1,424 of 7,334
Oh, that looks like a nice cable. Could be a good buy if I need a balanced cable, much cheaper than the Audeze one.

Wow, it sounds like a grocery bag? I've never heard that on my 2C's or my old pre-fazor LCD-2's when I had those.
My LCD2C had same issue, but after several days, the crinkling sound was gone! Now, it is normal after one week.

Jan 3, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #1,425 of 7,334
Welcome to head-fi @pridetwo. Thanks for your effort with your first post. LCD-2C and Mojo must sound very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back