Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Nov 20, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #376 of 7,334
I'm located in Canada, so there is no dealer that has these advertised for pre-order. In US, there's a few dealers that have these available to order. However, ordering from Audeze directly will be the fastest way to get them. I ordered directly from Audeze's website.

The drivers on the LCD-2C are not the original drivers from 2010 or 2011 or whatever (rev 1 or rev 2). They are in fact the updated 2016 drivers without the fazors.
I was also told (by Audeze support) that they expect the signature to be close to the 2016F, almost identical in the lows and highs with any differences coming in the midrange voicing. Seems to correlate with the info above.

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #377 of 7,334
I was also told (by Audeze support) that they expect the signature to be close to the 2016F, almost identical in the lows and highs with any differences coming in the midrange voicing. Seems to correlate with the info above.

Yes, that's what I've been told as well by Audeze support. I tried asking about LCD-2 pre-fazor, LCD-2F 2016, and LCD-2C (which has drivers from 2016) and how their sound holds up. I was told the fazor only affects the midrange and not the treble or bass response.

There' basically 2 things to consider:

1) Fazor or non-fazor.

2) 2016 driver revision

They did tell me a number of improvements and benefits that came with the 2016 driver revision. I don't know if I should post it or if its public information already, but all of the points listed should make ALL future Audeze owners happy.

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #378 of 7,334
Yes, that's what I've been told as well by Audeze support. I tried asking about LCD-2 pre-fazor, LCD-2F 2016, and LCD-2C (which has drivers from 2016) and how their sound holds up. I was told the fazor only affects the midrange and not the treble or bass response.

There' basically 2 things to consider:

1) Fazor or non-fazor.

2) 2016 driver revision

They did tell me a number of improvements and benefits that came with the 2016 driver revision. I don't know if I should post it or if its public information already, but all of the points listed should make ALL future Audeze owners happy.
Indeed I got that info as well. I think it was already posted in the LCD-2 impressions thread so it’s public info. I was intent on getting a 2C but was (wrongly) told it would only ship next year, so I “settled” for a mint condition 2016F for $525, including a Venus Audio balanced cable and Lohb strap. Turns out I’m in love with the 2016F sound, and if anything he 2C/pre-F sound may have been a touch too dark for my liking.

So the 2C is essentially a 2016F sans fazor and sans travel case but with magnesium cups and a new headband design. Still a great deal at $599, but the Adorama Aluminium or shedua wood version at $649 is possibly even better. Either way it’s going to be a great headphone, like every other LCD-2. Still very much TOTL in my book, and an end-game open headphone for me.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #379 of 7,334
I'm glad it's shipping out this year and sooner than expected. Anyone actually have their ship out yet?

Having owned the pre-fazor LCD-2 and LCD-3, HE-500, and HD 800...I would've been fine waiting for this model even if it came out 6 months later. If it can deliver the essence and what I liked about the old LCD-2, these are absolutely going to dominate the sub $1000 category. It was very hard to put that headphone down.

Nov 20, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #380 of 7,334
Quick question: How do you guys find the new braided Audeze cables sonically? Better/same than their past flat cables? Anyone going to use third party cables? Silver, copper, or SPC?

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #383 of 7,334
I'm located in Canada, so there is no dealer that has these advertised for pre-order. In US, there's a few dealers that have these available to order. However, ordering from Audeze directly will be the fastest way to get them. I ordered directly from Audeze's website.

The drivers on the LCD-2C are not the original drivers from 2010 or 2011 or whatever (rev 1 or rev 2). They are in fact the updated 2016 drivers without the fazors.

Well that's not what I expected. But it just makes things more interesting. Seems like they won't be identical to the original LCD-2 then. I'm even more excited to get them then. Christmas can't come soon enough!

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #384 of 7,334
The original design of the LCD2 had one major modification with Fazor. Otherwise the basic design of LCD2 has remained the same. It has a staggered magnetic circuit design that is very different from other planar designs. Even othe rplanar designs from Audeze. As far as we know, the design is unique. In 2013 we added fazor. Most of the other modifications to the original LCD2 design were mostly production related to update them.

The LCD2C design is a fazor less design that harkens back to our original design principle of the staggered magnetic circuit. This gives the smoothest magnetic flux density distribution in almost all planar designs that results in amazing midrange. At the moment these will be direct order only.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Nov 21, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #386 of 7,334
The clarification helps the push. I really want to compare an LCD-2 to the Code-X. Hmm.

Nov 21, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #387 of 7,334
The original design of the LCD2 had one major modification with Fazor. Otherwise the basic design of LCD2 has remained the same. It has a staggered magnetic circuit design that is very different from other planar designs. Even othe rplanar designs from Audeze. As far as we know, the design is unique. In 2013 we added fazor. Most of the other modifications to the original LCD2 design were mostly production related to update them.

The LCD2C design is a fazor less design that harkens back to our original design principle of the staggered magnetic circuit. This gives the smoothest magnetic flux density distribution in almost all planar designs that results in amazing midrange. At the moment these will be direct order only.
So with fazor, the midrange is less amazing? Will the LCD2C have better bass response than the current LCD2?

Nov 21, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #388 of 7,334
So with fazor, the midrange is less amazing? Will the LCD2C have better bass response than the current LCD2?
From what I understand from Audeze, the bass and treble response will be about the same as the LCD-2F 2016, and only the midrange will change. That could lead to some perceived bass changes, but not measurable. I find the bass of the 2016F superb - not Fostex superb but then nothing is Fostex superb. I also enjoy the 2016F mids and highs. Will be interesting to see what the 2C brings to the mix.

Nov 21, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #389 of 7,334
From what I understand from Audeze, the bass and treble response will be about the same as the LCD-2F 2016, and only the midrange will change. That could lead to some perceived bass changes, but not measurable. I find the bass of the 2016F superb - not Fostex superb but then nothing is Fostex superb. I also enjoy the 2016F mids and highs. Will be interesting to see what the 2C brings to the mix.
"Amazing mids"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back