Audeze LCD-2 vs Grado GS1000i
Apr 24, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #3 of 77
I own the LCD-2 and have auditioned the GS1000. The LCD-2 is phenomenal, one of the best headphones money can buy at any price. I really didn't like the GS1000 - some of the most piercing treble I have ever heard on a high-end headphone, and one of the few high-end headphones that I actively disliked listening to. Plus, it comes with that trademark Grado (dis)comfort.

Apr 24, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 77

Quote:
For those that have heard both, which one do you prefer and why?

Thanks in advance.

Why do you want to know? Are you considering buying one of the two?
At this moment in time, the opinions you get will be predictably one-sided. Summed up nicely by the above post about GS-1000 being uncomfortable to wear (compared to LCD-2?  
wink_face.gif
 ) .

Apr 24, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #5 of 77

Quote:
Why do you want to know? Are you considering buying one of the two?
At this moment in time, the opinions you get will be predictably one-sided. Summed up nicely by the above post about GS-1000 being uncomfortable to wear (compared to LCD-2?  
wink_face.gif
 ) .

This seems reasonable as he's asking people who have heard both which they prefer :)

Apr 24, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #6 of 77
Quote:
 I really didn't like the GS1000 - some of the most piercing treble I have ever heard on a high-end headphone

X2 The extremely recessed mid range is unacceptable for a headphone of this price and it is extremely genre limiting for a $1000 headphone. The treble spike is unacceptable for orchestral, pop, and rock music IMO

When we get to $1000+ headphones, they should do all genres fairly well. Needless to say, I liked the LCD 2 more.

Apr 24, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #7 of 77

Quote:

This seems reasonable as he's asking people who have heard both which they prefer :)

Of course he can ask anything he wants. :)

May 11, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #8 of 77
How does LCD-2's compare to the GS 1000 in terms of soundstage width and depth? I do share some of your concerns regarding the Grado sound signature but was really impressed with the spacious presentation - any thoughts? 

Aug 6, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #9 of 77
I'm glad this question was asked as I'd also like to know. I own a pair of LCD-2, and I am considering a pair of Grado for rock music.

Aug 6, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #10 of 77
The LCD-2's I owned sounded rolled off in the highs and its accompanying graph showed that, if you believe graphs have any bearing on sound.  I prefer the GS-1000.  I only listened briefly to the GS-1000i and they weren't broken in at all so no opinion on those.  The GS-1000 has a wider soundstage and it's a coherent one whereas the Audez'e soundstage was discombobulated.  It sounded like there were several gaps left to right.  Weird.  The Grado is more comfortable although the weight of the Audez'e didn't bother me all that much.  It is a lot heavier, tho'.  I seem to be in the minority camp but I can take it.  
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 6, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #11 of 77

Quote:
The LCD-2's I owned sounded rolled off in the highs and its accompanying graph showed that, if you believe graphs have any bearing on sound.  I prefer the GS-1000.  I only listened briefly to the GS-1000i and they weren't broken in at all so no opinion on those.  The GS-1000 has a wider soundstage and it's a coherent one whereas the Audez'e soundstage was discombobulated.  It sounded like there were several gaps left to right.  Weird.  The Grado is more comfortable although the weight of the Audez'e didn't bother me all that much.  It is a lot heavier, tho'.  I seem to be in the minority camp but I can take it.  
bigsmile_face.gif

umm... so the dips in the LCD-2's graph means it has rolled-off treble, but the huge peaks in the GS1000 graph are supposed to be there?
blink.gif
  I really don't understand this strangely common argument.  It's a mistaken way of reading graphs for one, but you'd think you would apply the same logic to both headphones right? 

Regardless, headphones are not supposed to measure flat.  Which is why none of them do.  A headphone that measured flat would sound horribly unbalanced.

As for the OP, if you're seriously considering these two headphones, you should do more research.  The soundstage size of the LCD-2 is well documented, as is the GS1000.  The two headphones are very very different.  If you like one, I don't think you could possibly like the other. 

Aug 6, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #12 of 77
umm... so the dips in the LCD-2's graph means it has rolled-off treble, but the huge peaks in the GS1000 graph are supposed to be there?
blink.gif
  I really don't understand this strangely common argument.  It's a mistaken way of reading graphs for one, but you'd think you would apply the same logic to both headphones right? 

Regardless, headphones are not supposed to measure flat.  Which is why none of them do.  A headphone that measured flat would sound horribly unbalanced.

As for the OP, if you're seriously considering these two headphones, you should do more research.  The soundstage size of the LCD-2 is well documented, as is the GS1000.  The two headphones are very very different.  If you like one, I don't think you could possibly like the other. 

Very well stated. The LCD-2's treble is "pushed back" to account for the drivers being too close to your ears by design. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but the graphs do show that the treble extends quite well up to 20kHz. Meanwhile the GS1000s are my second most disliked Grado for the reasons specified about; with sharp peaky treble and sucked out mids.

Speaking off roll off, check out the GS1000's bass under 40Hz:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=323

Aug 6, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #13 of 77

Quote:
The two headphones are very very different.  If you like one, I don't think you could possibly like the other. 

So if you like a Les Paul, you couldn't possibly also like a Strat?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 6, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #14 of 77

Quote:
blink.gif

Here is what I wrote:  "The LCD-2's I owned sounded rolled off in the highs and its accompanying graph showed that, if you believe graphs have any bearing on sound."  Obviously, and perhaps rightly, you would argue against FR graphs meaning very much.  I did not mention the GS-1000 FR graph, did I?  The Grado is a much brighter sounding headphone which I prefer.   I wasn't comparing graphs, I was comparing headphones.  I have posted my graph of the LCD-2s before and there is a roll from 1khz flat to just past 4khz -12db, no dips, just roll.  But, nevermind, it really doesn't show anything significant, does it?  
 Did I strike a nerve?  I apologize.. 
normal_smile .gif

Aug 6, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #15 of 77
Here is what I wrote:  "The LCD-2's I owned sounded rolled off in the highs and its accompanying graph showed that, if you believe graphs have any bearing on sound."  Obviously, and perhaps rightly, you would argue against FR graphs meaning very much.  I did not mention the GS-1000 FR graph, did I?  The Grado is a much brighter sounding headphone which I prefer.   I wasn't comparing graphs, I was comparing headphones.  I have posted my graph of the LCD-2s before and there is a roll from 1khz flat to just past 4khz -12db, no dips, just roll.  But, nevermind, it really doesn't show anything significant, does it?  
 Did I strike a nerve?  I apologize.. 
normal_smile%20.gif

But the graphs don't show rolled off treble like say this:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=843

Barely anything after 11kHz. The LCD-2's graphs shot is "shelved down" and very well extended up to 20kHz. :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back