Audeze LCD-2 vs Grado GS1000i
Jun 26, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #61 of 77
^ I too prefer the PS1000 to the Audeze Cans I have listened to, 2.1, 2.2, LCD-X, LCD3. I mate my PS1k with an HE560, though I use a Norne Audio Draug 2 Cable on it, and it is clearly superior to the stock cable. So on that point we disagree.

Jun 26, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #62 of 77
^ I too prefer the PS1000 to the Audeze Cans I have listened to, 2.1, 2.2, LCD-X, LCD3. I mate my PS1k with an HE560, though I use a Norne Audio Draug 2 Cable on it, and it is clearly superior to the stock cable. So on that point we disagree.

Interesting, I bought many cables except Norme Audio cable.

Did you actually blind test it ? I always thought ALO cables were superior to Audeze cables but when I did the blind test I was 50% getting it right.  Make sure you blind test, your brain manipulate your decision. :)

Jun 26, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #63 of 77
Not blind, but had 10 people A/B test mine versus a stock pair at the Nashville Meet last Fall. Eight out of ten preferred the Norne (mine), the two that didn't thought the bass was too overblown. All heard a difference.

Jun 26, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #64 of 77
Not blind, but had 10 people A/B test mine versus a stock pair at the Nashville Meet last Fall. Eight out of ten preferred the Norne (mine), the two that didn't thought the bass was too overblown. All heard a difference.

Out of curiosity, did you swap the cable to the other headphone as well?  Manufacturer variations between the two could play a role?

I believe in cables impacting the sound as well, so not being a jerk here - genuinely interested in the test you did :)

Jun 26, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #65 of 77
Had both for years, and the LCD-2 beat the GS1K hands down. Just more life-like, with a touch of warmth for taming  hotter tracks. Both amp'ed balanced.

Jun 26, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #66 of 77
  How does LCD-2's compare to the GS 1000 in terms of soundstage width and depth? I do share some of your concerns regarding the Grado sound signature but was really impressed with the spacious presentation - any thoughts? 

GS1K did imaging very well, but LCD-2.2 was better in the mids and bass texture/accuracy dept.
More "air" with GS1K, for symphonies, but it loses out to LCD-2.2 in the musicality dept. imo.

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #67 of 77
Had both for years, and the LCD-2 beat the GS1K hands down. Just more life-like, with a touch of warmth for taming  hotter tracks. Both amp'ed balanced.

Hmm, I had different experience with lower flagship (GS1000), I even found that GS1000 is far better heapdhone than Audeze 2.x.
But YMMV. :) But PS1000 is another league.

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #68 of 77

But these testers were not blindfolded ? visual perception can also change their decisions imo.
Anyways, I cannot hear the difference so it's good for me that I don't have to spend money on cables.

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #69 of 77
Hmm, I had different experience with lower flagship (GS1000), I even found that GS1000 is far better heapdhone than Audeze 2.x.
But YMMV.
smily_headphones1.gif
But PS1000 is another league.

very happy with my PS500. Some call it "baby brother" to PS1K. Haven't heard the PS yet. But love the bass and richness of PS500, not bright like other Grados.

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #70 of 77

very happy with my PS500. Some call it "baby brother" to PS1K. Haven't heard the PS yet. But love the bass and richness of PS500, not bright like other Grados.

PS500 is excellent, I love Grado PS lines. even SRs are good.

Only thing I don't like is the earpads, very harsh and rough on my skins.

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #71 of 77
yeah, it's a constant complaint, and valid. cutting corners in their homey "factory" in Brooklyn is one thing, but at the price points of the PS series, I wished Grado would upgrade the earpads to something like the ones on HiFiMan and Audeze.

Trying too hard to be "different", I guess.

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #72 of 77

But these testers were not blindfolded ? visual perception can also change their decisions imo.
Anyways, I cannot hear the difference so it's good for me that I don't have to spend money on cables.

No, it wasn't a blind test, but the differences were apparent, better to most, not for two. That same Meet, we did the same with the HD800, with 100% preferring the Norne Draug 2 on it, cables do make a difference. Where we are in agreement is that they don't always make a positive change.

Sep 29, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #74 of 77
  tried PS1000e once, ps1000e is absolutly better, don know about the gs1000i

If you're looking for a more "U" sound then you'll like the PS1000s, but technically the PS1000e's are a tad ahead with a flatter FR response and a bit more transparency.

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #75 of 77
I just tried the Audeze LCD-2, LCD-3 and the HiFiMan HE560 listening to music for just less than an hour - I got out of work late and the store was closing which kept my listening session limited between these three headphones through a McIntosh Headphone Amp 100.  All of these are Open Planar Headphones.

Keep in mind this was a limited listening session, which i would have auditioned for a longer time if time permitted.  I found that the LCD-2 was OK sounding with good bass, but sounded more closed in than the LCD 3.  The LCD 3 had a wider soundstage of them all, which I found undesirable.  I found the bass was less than that compared to the LCD 2.  I find if I put my hands over the open planars on the LCD 3, it closed the sound stage, making the headphones sound better.

I found the HiFiMan HE560 needed more volume, which would require a headphone amp.  I did not spend as much time on these compared to the LCD-2 and 3, so I don't exactly remember how it sounded and its comparisons.

Note that I found that all the headphones to feel comfortable on my ears in my limited listening session.

I can say that between these three vs. the Grado GS1000e, I found the open plannars sounding dull compared to the Grado.  I own the GS1000e, which does not have that much bass as what others have said here.  Note, I do not own a headphone amp at this time.  The treble and the details that the Grados offer are much preferred over the plannars I auditioned.

I also find the Grado GS1000e very easy to wear, and are non-fatiguing, as I have worn them for a few hours in a few listening session I have had - the Grados are a week old in my possession, and I love them since breaking them in this past week.

I still look forward will still audition these three plannars, to find a backup reference headphone to the Grados.  I may look to the PS1000 alternative as I would love to hear these headphones to experience the rave and passion that everyone has for these headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back