Audeze LCD-2 vs Grado GS1000i
Aug 7, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #31 of 77
I also wonder whoever has the K701 and LCD-2 at their hands, would you say the two have about same size of soundstage?
I no longer have the LCD-2 and I have a Q701 not a K701.  The Q701 headstage "seems" a bit wider but certainly more cohesive.  I listen to a lot of classical orchestral stuff (and also go hear it "live") and I think this is a better test than pop music for this headstage bidnuss.  There should be no gaps.

I have the K701 and the LCD-2, I would estimate the width of the soundstage of the LCD-2 at 3/4 that of the K701, musicians (jazz or classical chamber music) appear to be much more focused with the LCD-2, they are somewhat diffuse on the K701, one could say there's a gap between the musicians. With orchestral music, I hear a continuous sound field with no gaps though.

Aug 7, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #32 of 77
Would you show me the difference on a graph, please?  On this graph, I see "rolled", not "shelved".  Where is the "shelf"?  TIA

That is clearly shelved down treble only approx. 10dB and still quite responsive up to 20kHz...have a look at the link I provided with the Shure SE530...that that is rolled off (a cliff :wink:) anything beyond 10kHz.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=843

Aug 7, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #33 of 77

Quote:
That is clearly shelved down treble only approx. 10dB and still quite responsive up to 20kHz...have a look at the link I provided with the Shure SE530...that that is rolled off (a cliff
wink.gif
) anything beyond 10kHz.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=843

D*mn, you're right, it is better than a Shure SE530.  I should listen to one.  I might like it.  

I should have had no complaints with only-12db shelf.  Thanks for the explanation although there are still a lot of people out there that don't believe FR graphs accurately reflect the sound of a can, especially if it's the one they own and they don't agree with it.  

Oh, well.  Human. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #34 of 77

Quote:
I have the K701 and the LCD-2, I would estimate the width of the soundstage of the LCD-2 at 3/4 that of the K701, musicians (jazz or classical chamber music) appear to be much more focused with the LCD-2, they are somewhat diffuse on the K701, one could say there's a gap between the musicians. With orchestral music, I hear a continuous sound field with no gaps though.

i had the K701 long ago, and never had em both em at same time, in my memory the size of the sound stage of em were about the same, with LCD-2 a lot more focused, not sure that added the size or reduced it lol. Although around 3/4 of K01 can be considered pretty big sound stage, although it wasn't big enough to fully enjoy the classic or symphony metal , sadly lol 

Sep 13, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #36 of 77
Very well stated. The LCD-2's treble is "pushed back" to account for the drivers being too close to your ears by design. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but the graphs do show that the treble extends quite well up to 20kHz. Meanwhile the GS1000s are my second most disliked Grado for the reasons specified about; with sharp peaky treble and sucked out mids.

Speaking off roll off, check out the GS1000's bass under 40Hz:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=323

Very well stated. The LCD-2's treble is "pushed back" to account for the drivers being too close to your ears by design. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but the graphs do show that the treble extends quite well up to 20kHz. Meanwhile the GS1000s are my second most disliked Grado for the reasons specified about; with sharp peaky treble and sucked out mids.

Speaking off roll off, check out the GS1000's bass under 40Hz:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=323

Just out of curiosity, what is your first most disliked Grado headphones? I know you've mentioned in the past how much you liked the RS-1i's. I am also a past RS-1i owner. What are your thoughts about the Grado PS-500 headphone? I've not had the chance to audition but I've heard they are voiced similarly to the venerable Grado HF2. 

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #37 of 77

Just out of curiosity, what is your first most disliked Grado headphones? I know you've mentioned in the past how much you liked the RS-1i's. I am also a past RS-1i owner. What are your thoughts about the Grado PS-500 headphone? I've not had the chance to audition but I've heard they are voiced similarly to the venerable Grado HF2. 

I really like the PS500s and HF-2s (owned both). Along with the RS1s, these three are my favourite John Grado headphones.

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #41 of 77
GS1000i, hands down.

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #42 of 77
  I own the LCD-2 and have auditioned the GS1000. The LCD-2 is phenomenal, one of the best headphones money can buy at any price. I really didn't like the GS1000 - some of the most piercing treble I have ever heard on a high-end headphone, and one of the few high-end headphones that I actively disliked listening to. Plus, it comes with that trademark Grado (dis)comfort.

I say LCD2 and GS1000 are pretty much on the same sq, same if you compare HD800/T1/HE6/TH900, they are all same in terms of producing high level Sound Quality, just different in Sound Signature.

About the comfort, GS1000 is much comfortable, much lighter than LCD2, only thing I don't like about GS1000 is the earpads, very rough, almost like wearing the dish wash scrubber.

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #43 of 77
But if you consider the price, then I would pick LCD2, it's $1000 vs $1699.(oops it's $2199 today on Amazon. !)

May 8, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #44 of 77
I own both. I think it depends on the source and the music. On an AK100, the LCD2 is too dark for my taste. The GS1000 is preferred. Lots of details, but a treble spike, which is the total opposite of the LCD. The bass is very good and to my mind, not as strong as the Audeze. But the Grado sounds more "direct", but it surely is not neutral. It is a fun headphone that works for a lot of music: Jazz, Metal, Baroque, African Music (try some Orchestre Poly Rithmo de Cotonou or Kene Balafons). Voices are beautiful, for example Schuberts Frauenlieder, it sent a shiver down my legs. If you have another amp, I use the Eximus DP1, you can choose: fat, clear and dark: Audeze - light, extra clear and transparent with hot treble: Grado. Depends on one's mood, I would say. The Grado is lighter and more comfortable, I feel. As I said, they are total opposites, so I can't say which is better. If you don't like very elaborated treble, go for the Audeze. If you want to hear details, and I mean tons of details, go for the Grado. It is coloured, but I listen for joy, and it is joyful. If you can't decide, get an AKG 812, it is in the middle between the two. No it's not better, but different! And works perfect with the AK100, if you have one. If you don't like the Grados treble, use a little bit of EQ to tame it. Build quality on the Audeze seems to be better, but this something one must judge after a few years of use. I also like the more "primitive" finish of the GS1000. Both are not as sleek as Sennheisers, Beyerdynamics, Ultrasones or AKGs, but I don't see them when I wear them.

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #45 of 77
And: the GS1000 together with a Grado cartridge is fantastic: all sibilance is gone, the transparency stays, the bass is very strong. All in all, the sound gets darker than from my DAC, which is an Eximus DP-1. using the same TT with my Audeze, the sound is too dark, no more fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back