Audeze LCD-2 "Vegan" Earpads - feedback, installation & mini-review
Mar 11, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #76 of 113
For those interested in how the vegan LCD2 measure against the leather LCD2...

Vegan on the left, leather on the right.

Very similar, but the vegan maintained a higher amount of treble, if slightly, as I mentioned. That paired with the pad differences, is probably why I felt the vegan version to be slightly less warm with more sparkle. The area between 1khz to just over 2khz has a bigger drop on the leather than the vegan as well... about 4db in the section after 2khz.

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #77 of 113
So are these pads being mostly purchased here simply for the improved comfort or also for a moral reason?

Mar 20, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #80 of 113
I ended up putting them back on my LCD3s. I can't listen to them for too long with the stock leather pads. I just find they get too hot to be comfortable. 

It DOES slightly affect the sound. Normally the LCDs sound sort of like you are right there with the performer. This moves you to front row in the concert hall. The soundstage improves but the sound feels less immediate. 

Is it worse? Maybe a bit. But I like being able to wear them comfortably for a significant amount of time. With the leather pads I would start to get uncomfortable after literally like 25 minutes. Kind of unacceptable. These the clamping force feels a little worse, given that the LCD3 pads are so comfy, but my ears don't get hot at all. I was also worried that the heat / humidity would slowly rot the diaphragm. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #81 of 113
That's how I feel. It's a different kind of awesome, but the vegan does take away a bit from the LCD2 intimacy for more soundstage and clarity in the upper range.

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #83 of 113
Quote:
That's how I feel. It's a different kind of awesome, but the vegan does take away a bit from the LCD2 intimacy for more soundstage and clarity in the upper range.

I think you actually might be right about clarity in the upper range. i think it might be because the slightly more laid back sound gives the music a bit more room to breathe.  I was trying to follow the piano in Beethoven's Kreutzer III finale presto and I found the notes got a little muddy with the leathers.  I think it loses a bit of sparkle though. 

admittedly the vegans lower the WOW factor a bit, but I think they are more comfortable not just in terms of physical comfort, but also given that it is a little more laid-back, more comfortable on the ears for long listening sessions. 

I like that the sticky rings stay on the ear pads so that you can actually swap them pretty easily. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #84 of 113
Really? I honestly don't wanna DIY the leathers when I want to swap, but if I can get someone to do it, and then it becomes easy to swap afterwards, I would order a pair of leathers for when I want that intimacy.

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #85 of 113
Quote:
Really? I honestly don't wanna DIY the leathers when I want to swap, but if I can get someone to do it, and then it becomes easy to swap afterwards, I would order a pair of leathers for when I want that intimacy.

Ya you should really try it.. It's a different experience altogether. And honestly, for pure musicality I think it's superior.

The vegans make them much better for passive listening / work though. 

(These comments are about the lcd3, i don't have lcd2s)

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #86 of 113
I definitely need to get these pads.  My ears gets real hot.  It is a shame that such quality sounds cannot be enjoyed for longer duration.  Hopefully this will 'fix' the shortcoming.

-J

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #87 of 113
Ya you should really try it.. It's a different experience altogether. And honestly, for pure musicality I think it's superior.

The vegans make them much better for passive listening / work though. 

(These comments are about the lcd3, i don't have lcd2s)

So if the LCD2 vegan pads fit the LCD3 I presume the LCD3 leather pads will fit the LCD2? I just got the LCD2 and want to buy the LCD3 pads.

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #88 of 113
Quote:
So if the LCD2 vegan pads fit the LCD3 I presume the LCD3 leather pads will fit the LCD2? I just got the LCD2 and want to buy the LCD3 pads.

The LCD3 pads do indeed fit the LCD2.  They are very easy to install.  There is not a significant difference between the LCD2 and LCD3 leather pads, the LCD3 are slightly thicker, (1/2 cm or  1/4 inch).  Surprisingly, for me the LCD3 are more comfortable, not by a lot, but noticeably.  Whether they are worth the investment, is up to the individual.

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #89 of 113
The LCD3 pads do indeed fit the LCD2.  They are very easy to install.  There is not a significant difference between the LCD2 and LCD3 leather pads, the LCD3 are slightly thicker, (1/2 cm or  1/4 inch).  Surprisingly, for me the LCD3 are more comfortable, not by a lot, but noticeably.  Whether they are worth the investment, is up to the individual.

Great. I want to fit the LCD3 pads onto my LCD2 and put the LCD2 pads on my HE-400.

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #90 of 113

Okay I've just received the LCD3 pads for my LCD2.2 but before I put them on I have a couple of questions:
1. If I don't like the LCD3 pads is it easy to remove and put back the originals? What I mean is do the adhesive leave a sticky mess whether on the earcup or earpad?
2. Is that why I get 4 adhesive rings with my pair of LCD3 rings? In case I make a mess of it?
3. What is the best way to make absolutely sure I align the new pads correctly? Unlike pads that slip onto a ring, I'm wondering if there are any markers I can use.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back