Audeze LCD-2 Source discussion.
Feb 19, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #121 of 183
Thanks for that, it's nice to see the Streamlength tech spreading itself around. The Legato doesn't seem to have a distributor or an online store, one of those email only operations unfortunately. Do you know it the Audiophilleos uses the Streamlength tech as well? I do like the form factor of the Bridge but it clearly has its shortcomings.

Quote:
Unless you need 24/96, the ART Legato is a much better product than the Bridge for the same money. If you do need 24/96 the Audiophilleo2 is probably still better.

Feb 19, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #122 of 183

Quote:
Thanks for that, it's nice to see the Streamlength tech spreading itself around. The Legato doesn't seem to have a distributor or an online store, one of those email only operations unfortunately. Do you know it the Audiophilleos uses the Streamlength tech as well? I do like the form factor of the Bridge but it clearly has its shortcomings.

The Audiophilleo models I believe are using their own asynch tech and drivers. The model 2 isn't badly priced for what it does (although I wonder if it sounds any better than the Hiface EVO which boasts significantly more connectivity options) but the model 1 just throws on a bunch of gimmicks and definitely isn't worth the money, not when there' Wavelength's own Wavelink available, or even better, the Empirical Off-ramp 4.

Feb 19, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #123 of 183
The Audiophillio is tempting me actually. I am not going to say the model 1 is a shameless waste of money if you WANT the features. Holy hell, what converter has EVER allowed one to change the edge transitions of the digital signal to simulate/compensate for different cables (for example)? One could argue it is all a kind of gimmick, but it is just the kind of device I like, where I can experiment and learn.

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #124 of 183
so what would your recoomend for a digital transport. I have heard the Bryston BDP-1, in my opinions, this is the best digital USB transport I know and it is not cheap.

Hiface modded is nothing compared to my audiogd cd7final version. not sure about EVO and very soon will try to do AB oon it with the EVO power up by audio-gd power supply.

I have been looking for digital transport that can give me the convenience of playing it remote.

Mar 8, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #125 of 183
Bumping this thread for some more up-to-date feedback... who's using what? What works, what should I avoivd, etc. I've been considering adding the StageDAC to my Concerto but I've been debating stretching the budget to get a Cary Xciter if I can find a good deal on one.

Mar 8, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #127 of 183

Quote:
Bumping this thread for some more up-to-date feedback... who's using what? What works, what should I avoivd, etc. I've been considering adding the StageDAC to my Concerto but I've been debating stretching the budget to get a Cary Xciter if I can find a good deal on one.

I had a brief listen to the stagedac, and very quickly I felt that the stagedac was good for its price...but it was in no way classified as "hi-end" IMO.  It was an improvement over the DAC magic, but it still is mid-level IMO.  The Concerto felt like a gem for its price, but the stagedac was definitely the bottleneck in that combo IMO.  The LCD2 IMO will benefit from the very best source you can afford to pair with it.

Mar 9, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #128 of 183
I though the isabellina was a good dac for the lcd2. On the high end of things I would have to throw the Ayon Skylla into the mix. Detailed and clear while having a little more warmth than maybe some of the other high end offerings. It does seem to bring the vocals a little more forward which can be a good or a bad thing depending on the singer and recording. The soundstage is great though with good placement.

Mar 9, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #129 of 183

macedonianhero has some good things to say about the cary xciter, I don't suppose that combo as been at any of the recent meets where other might have some feedback on it? Reviews seem to be scarce. 
confused.gif

Quote:
I had a brief listen to the stagedac, and very quickly I felt that the stagedac was good for its price...but it was in no way classified as "hi-end" IMO.  It was an improvement over the DAC magic, but it still is mid-level IMO.  The Concerto felt like a gem for its price, but the stagedac was definitely the bottleneck in that combo IMO.  The LCD2 IMO will benefit from the very best source you can afford to pair with it.

Mar 9, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #130 of 183

Good stuff bro, sorry I havent been on since my last post in this thread.  I agree that the devilsound is a great little dac and I don't need 24/96 or any other features/inputs which makes it an ideal solution.  Just wish I could hear some really high end dacs to see how much difference it can make in terms of sound quality.  The V800 certainly has my attention as it seems to get good feedbacks.
Quote:

I've got a Devilsound v2.0 and I haven't really compared it head to head with anything else in respect to the LCD-2 as I am using it in my HE-6 rig ATM. I have heard the LCD-2 with it, but it's hard to compare it with my main LCD-2 setup as the amp is so different. I love the form factor but will be swapping it out soon for a balanced DAC with more features on that rig (XDA-1) so it will become a "floater" soon, which will allow me to compare it directly to DACs in my other systems as well as the new Emotiva which should be here soon.

Another thing I love about the Devilsound is the fact that it comes with such HQ cabling, on both the digital and analog ends, this is very convenient and a money-saver. I tried the v2.1 for a while and thought it was slightly more resolving and dynamic, but this is from memory and not a direct comparison. If you don't need any additional features like switching between inputs or upsampling/high bit rate compatibility, I think that the Devilsound can hang with some really nice DACs SQ-wise but it all depends on synergy down the line.

I like the Devilsound approach, and if the XDA-1 doesn't impress me out of the box I will probably consider their Halide Bridge as an upgrade at some point if it improves with my Bravo. To try a little of that Streamlength magic, y'know.

If I was going for a real nice full-featured DAC the ones I would take a serious look at are the Wyred 4 Sound models, they reportedly sound great and have an incredible bang for the buck.

Mar 9, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #131 of 183
I'm looking for a cheaper DAC than most mentioned here. I currently am using DAC out from my Audio-GD FUN to my Burson, and love the Burson, but feel I'm being held back by the FUN. Anyone have any < $500 DAC suggestions for me? Either that or I could sell both the Burson and the FUN to get an NFB-10 and go balanced.

Mar 9, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #132 of 183

Quote:
I'm looking for a cheaper DAC than most mentioned here. I currently am using DAC out from my Audio-GD FUN to my Burson, and love the Burson, but feel I'm being held back by the FUN. Anyone have any < $500 DAC suggestions for me? Either that or I could sell both the Burson and the FUN to get an NFB-10 and go balanced.

The DIY Opus is a wonderful dac for your budget. I only heard it briefly at my friend's house when I didn't have my amp yet. It is balanced sounding and has great bass resolution.
At 350$ the HRT Streamer II+ is another great dac, though inferior to the opus. It has a nice sparkle to it which is a bit artificial in nature but it is a budget dac nonetheless.
I would not get a gamma2 or chameleon for LCD-2 because they are too soft,dark sounding which doesn't complement the headphones' nature.

Haven't heard audio-gd's offerings.

angle_shooter - I would not buy the V800 without hearing it (see my post - no.116). It is a strong performer but hearing at least three other dacs in this price range is a must for headphones of this kind.

Cary Xciter got my eye too. I would certainly grab one from the local importer to compare with soon to come Buffalo-II (and V800 if I'd be lustful :) )

Mar 9, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #133 of 183

Quote:

DACMAGIC! and its balanced lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back