Audez'e LCD-2 For Music Production?
Feb 9, 2011 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

fabriciom

Head-Fier
Hello, any music producers out there using these cans to mix/master? Can comment on them?

-Thanks

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #2 of 8
I love my LCD-2s, but I doubt anyone would do a mix for any commercial releases using solely a pair of headphones. Any good studio will have at least a pair of reference monitors, so why use headphones? No matter how accurate or how close the LCD-2s sound comparing to a pair of reference monitors, I would still trust my Genelec more, but I'd use them in the studio for almost anything else. 
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #3 of 8
The idea is to work with the headphones and do a final mixdown on the monitors. I have a pair of Dynaudio BM15A but I live in an apartment and my neighbours do not stand a constant use.  I was looking on getting a SPL Phonitor but I was given advice by a user of gearzluts to go for these headphones better.

Quote:
I love my LCD-2s, but I doubt anyone would do a mix for any commercial releases using solely a pair of headphones. Any good studio will have at least a pair of reference monitors, so why use headphones? No matter how accurate or how close the LCD-2s sound comparing to a pair of reference monitors, I would still trust my Genelec more, but I'd use them in the studio for almost anything else. 
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #4 of 8
In that case, they are probably the nearest thing to monitors, in terms of frequency response. I was going to get a Phonitor myself too but was a bit disappointed after auditioning it; there's nothing wrong with it, just that maybe I was expecting too much. I guess you can do your mix with the LCD-2 but you'd still have to check out the soundstage with your reference monitors afterwards. 
wink.gif

Quote:
The idea is to work with the headphones and do a final mixdown on the monitors. I have a pair of Dynaudio BM15A but I live in an apartment and my neighbours do not stand a constant use.  I was looking on getting a SPL Phonitor but I was given advice by a user of gearzluts to go for these headphones better.

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #5 of 8
Do they require an amp or can I just plug them straight in to my ADI-8 Pro?

Quote:
In that case, they are probably the nearest thing to monitors, in terms of frequency response. I was going to get a Phonitor myself too but was a bit disappointed after auditioning it; there's nothing wrong with it, just that maybe I was expecting too much. I guess you can do your mix with the LCD-2 but you'd still have to check out the soundstage with your reference monitors afterwards. 
wink.gif

Quote:

Feb 9, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 8
We're using them in my lab, along with the usual suspect and the HD800s, plugged directly into decks and in a few cases, audiophile amps. General consensus seems to be that they're killer phones in terms of balance and detail, well-suited to mixdowns if you can get past the weight and open-ness -- most of the people who master here like to have one ear open, so swivel cups help a lot. I'm about to do a fairly complicated dialogue master and I'll give them a shot. Usually use 240s/M50s/HD600s for this.

o

Feb 10, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 8
I personally don't think they need any special amping although many think they do. I've used them with a lot of audio interfaces from Apogee Duet to Ensemble with their built-in headphone outs and they are good enough for me, unless you need very high listening level. Unfortunately, I don't believe your ADI-8 Pro has built-in headphone out so you do need some kind of headphone amps. I've heard some LCD-2 owners find even the inexpensive Behringer headphone amps adequate enough for their monitoring purposes.

Quote:

Feb 10, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #8 of 8
Hello, the ADI pro has 3 settings for volume control (Lo Gain = +19dbu, +4= +13dbu and -10 =+2bu. Right now I have a pair of Denon 2000 and they work without problems.

Quote:
I personally don't think they need any special amping although many think they do. I've used them with a lot of audio interfaces from Apogee Duet to Ensemble with their built-in headphone outs and they are good enough for me, unless you need very high listening level. Unfortunately, I don't believe your ADI-8 Pro has built-in headphone out so you do need some kind of headphone amps. I've heard some LCD-2 owners find even the inexpensive Behringer headphone amps adequate enough for their monitoring purposes.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back