Audeze LCD-2 Closed
Jan 19, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #826 of 883
Does i need desktop amp for lcd-2c cb ?if now works connected to Fiio Q3 MQA via 3.5mm output has 160mW,,balanced lined up to 370mw .audeze spec shows need 100-250mw .does i feel any diference vs desktop amp with 800-1500mW output? or simply use via balanced cable with fiio Q3 ? im listenning music from Tidal masters. how works tube amp with lcd-2c cb ? not too warm?

Jan 19, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #827 of 883
Does i need desktop amp for lcd-2c cb ?if now works connected to Fiio Q3 MQA via 3.5mm output has 160mW,,balanced lined up to 370mw .audeze spec shows need 100-250mw .does i feel any diference vs desktop amp with 800-1500mW output? or simply use via balanced cable with fiio Q3 ? im listenning music from Tidal masters. how works tube amp with lcd-2c cb ? not too warm?
My desktop amp does not make a difference. I would just run it balanced and that's it.

As for tubamps, - tubeamps dont give a bass bump/warmth to planar headphones the same way as with dynamic headphones, as planar have a straight impedance curve.

Instead a tubes will add harmonic distortion on the third and forth harmonics... Slightly changing the sound on the entire spectrum. But the change is on the harmonics.
Tubes in short change the "ring-sound" on nots in music... When a note is hit, it rings for a couple of seconds, this "ring-sound" comes from the the harmonics a instrument creates.

Different instruments have different harmonics, - and why a C note sounds different on a guitar then on a piano....

Anyway....

If you want to use / try tube amps, make sure to use a hybrid amplifier.

OTL amps don't have the voltage needed at low listening levels and don't pair well with planar headphones.

Jan 19, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #828 of 883
My desktop amp does not make a difference. I would just run it balanced and that's it.

As for tubamps, - tubeamps dont give a bass bump/warmth to planar headphones the same way as with dynamic headphones, as planar have a straight impedance curve.

Instead a tubes will add harmonic distortion on the third and forth harmonics... Slightly changing the sound on the entire spectrum. But the change is on the harmonics.
Tubes in short change the "ring-sound" on nots in music... When a note is hit, it rings for a couple of seconds, this "ring-sound" comes from the the harmonics a instrument creates.

Different instruments have different harmonics, - and why a C note sounds different on a guitar then on a piano....

Anyway....

OTL amps don't have the voltage needed at low listening levels and don't pair well with planar headphones.thanks.this very help

Anyway....

OTL amps don't have the voltage needed at low listening levels and don't pair well with planar headphones.
thanks/this very help answer.

i have tube preamp. can i use it? how connect/ ? laptop->tube preamp->fiio Q3 MQA->headphones? corect? or here no need any preamp?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #829 of 883
thanks/this very help answer.

i have tube preamp. can i use it? how connect/ ? laptop->tube preamp->fiio Q3 MQA->headphones? corect? or here no need any preamp?
You would normally go laptop ~ DAC/amp ~ tube/hybrid ~ headphones.

If you have a pure tube preamp, then it likely can't be used in this setup

Jan 19, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #830 of 883
Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 4:32 AM Post #831 of 883
Jan 19, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #832 of 883
Hi, has anyone replaced the original old thick pleather pads with the new leather ones? I'm a little afraid that 2CB will lose the subbass with the new pads.
Isn't it the opposite? I thought the news pads were pleather. I would expect a change in terms of timbre as leather usually gives the best result with headphones.

Jan 20, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #833 of 883
Isn't it the opposite? I thought the news pads were pleather. I would expect a change in terms of timbre as leather usually gives the best result with headphones.
Yes, I have the first first version of the 2CB where the pads are also pleather, but thicker/deeper than the new ones. But they are starting to fall apart, so I'm thinking of replacing them with new leather ones that aren't as thick as the old ones.

Jan 20, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #834 of 883
LCD-2 Classic, LCD-2 Closed Back, LCD-GX all ONLY come with leather-free ear pads.

You can certainly purchase leather earpads for them, but they are not sold with leather by default.

Our headphones are made and tuned to sound consistent (with respect to minor variations pad to pad), so really it's whatever you think feels better, or if you have any aversions to having animal-base material on your unit.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #836 of 883
LCD-2 Classic, LCD-2 Closed Back, LCD-GX all ONLY come with leather-free ear pads.

You can certainly purchase leather earpads for them, but they are not sold with leather by default.

Our headphones are made and tuned to sound consistent (with respect to minor variations pad to pad), so really it's whatever you think feels better, or if you have any aversions to having animal-base material on your unit.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but my question was how does it affect the sound if I replace the old thicker pleather earpads with the new thinner leather ones? There has to be a difference in sound to some degree and I'm a bit worried that some sub-bass might be lost mainly due to the different size/depth of the pads.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #837 of 883
newer lcd-2c closed has leather pads? newer sound technically improved?
The reply literally right before yours states ALL LCD-2 Closed come with leather-FREE pads. We do not sell them with leather pads, period. You can buy leather pads as a separate purchase.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but my question was how does it affect the sound if I replace the old thicker pleather earpads with the new thinner leather ones? There has to be a difference in sound to some degree and I'm a bit worried that some sub-bass might be lost mainly due to the different size/depth of the pads.

The pads are extrenmely consistent with one another in regards to sound. We do not measure the previously mentioned 3 headphones with leather-free pads (and don't keep their measurements stored. Measurements are only kept for headphones above LCD-2s.

Here is what the new pads do vs old style pads in general. Old would be a straight line.

Attachments

• pad change graph.jpg
    pad change graph.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #838 of 883
The reply literally right before yours states ALL LCD-2 Closed come with leather-FREE pads. We do not sell them with leather pads, period. You can buy leather pads as a separate purchase.

The pads are extrenmely consistent with one another in regards to sound. We do not measure the previously mentioned 3 headphones with leather-free pads (and don't keep their measurements stored. Measurements are only kept for headphones above LCD-2s.

Here is what the new pads do vs old style pads in general. Old would be a straight line.
i like to order leather pads. where i can order them? can i myself change it/ not glued pads to body?

Jan 23, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #839 of 883
i like to order leather pads. where i can order them? can i myself change it/ not glued pads to body?
Well, they're sold directly on our website accessories page. Internation distributors can also stock/place orders for them, though we do not have a Lithuania distributor.

https://www.audeze.com/collections/accessories

The pads do use an adhesive ring.

There are various videos on how to remove/swap Audeze pads, like:

You don't need to remove all the old adhesive for the new PSA rings to work, but you'll need to remove any base layers from the old earpads before the adhesive will stick. There are a few ways to do this, depending on your comfort with the various tools, how old the previous adhesive is, etc. Use caution and work within your comfort zone to prevent any damage and/or injury, which Audeze cannot be held responsible for. The methods below are for guidance only, and any actions taken are done so at your own risk.

Before you begin removal of the old adhesive, be sure to cover the opening to the diaphragm with a bit of paper and some low-tack tape to prevent any damage to the diaphragm itself.

Here are three methods we've found to work in most cases, from simplest to most effective:

1. If you apply some masking tape to the old earpad material, then burnish it firmly using a small tool like a tongue depressor, popsicle stick, etc, the tape will sometimes peel the old material off when removed. Be careful not to adhere the tape to the wood rings or any other delicately finished surface.

2. Remaining layers can often be scraped off with a slim non-magnetic implement. WARNING: Using metal near the drivers can easily cause damage to them which would not be covered by warranty since they may be attracted to the very powerful magnets.

3. If you're comfortable with naphtha (AKA mineral spirits, paint thinner or lighter fluid), you can dab a small amount on the old adhesive with a cotton swab that's been dipped in naphtha and let it soak in for a few minutes. You want to moisten it enough so the naphtha can dissolve the adhesive, but not so much that it runs off to damage other parts. Once the naphtha has been in contact for a little while, you can often peel the residue off, then wipe clean with a dry cloth. Let the naphtha evaporate completely before installing the new earpads. WARNING: Naphtha is highly flammable and fairly toxic, so be careful not to breathe the fumes or work near any sources of ignition. Use in a well-ventilated area and follow the warnings on the label.

If you're not comfortable at any point, please stop and let us know so we can assist before any damage or injury occurs.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #840 of 883
Well, they're sold directly on our website accessories page. Internation distributors can also stock/place orders for them, though we do not have a Lithuania distributor.

https://www.audeze.com/collections/accessories

The pads do use an adhesive ring.

There are various videos on how to remove/swap Audeze pads, like:

You don't need to remove all the old adhesive for the new PSA rings to work, but you'll need to remove any base layers from the old earpads before the adhesive will stick. There are a few ways to do this, depending on your comfort with the various tools, how old the previous adhesive is, etc. Use caution and work within your comfort zone to prevent any damage and/or injury, which Audeze cannot be held responsible for. The methods below are for guidance only, and any actions taken are done so at your own risk.

Before you begin removal of the old adhesive, be sure to cover the opening to the diaphragm with a bit of paper and some low-tack tape to prevent any damage to the diaphragm itself.

Here are three methods we've found to work in most cases, from simplest to most effective:

1. If you apply some masking tape to the old earpad material, then burnish it firmly using a small tool like a tongue depressor, popsicle stick, etc, the tape will sometimes peel the old material off when removed. Be careful not to adhere the tape to the wood rings or any other delicately finished surface.

2. Remaining layers can often be scraped off with a slim non-magnetic implement. WARNING: Using metal near the drivers can easily cause damage to them which would not be covered by warranty since they may be attracted to the very powerful magnets.

3. If you're comfortable with naphtha (AKA mineral spirits, paint thinner or lighter fluid), you can dab a small amount on the old adhesive with a cotton swab that's been dipped in naphtha and let it soak in for a few minutes. You want to moisten it enough so the naphtha can dissolve the adhesive, but not so much that it runs off to damage other parts. Once the naphtha has been in contact for a little while, you can often peel the residue off, then wipe clean with a dry cloth. Let the naphtha evaporate completely before installing the new earpads. WARNING: Naphtha is highly flammable and fairly toxic, so be careful not to breathe the fumes or work near any sources of ignition. Use in a well-ventilated area and follow the warnings on the label.

If you're not comfortable at any point, please stop and let us know so we can assist before any damage or injury occurs.

this my new audeze. this pads newer sounds improved vs old ones or i must change to leather? no problem,can order directly from you or audeze eu dealers. but im really like non leather pads. im got new model lcd-2c closed back. does pads are thicker vs leather pads? thanks

Attachments

• B9BC3036-51E3-4BB8-A08E-9EFF60879B5F.jpeg
    B9BC3036-51E3-4BB8-A08E-9EFF60879B5F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 0990AC07-B739-44D3-A58B-21A73C7880FC.jpeg
    0990AC07-B739-44D3-A58B-21A73C7880FC.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • AAF6EB21-078E-47DF-9536-6958C6E82442.jpeg
    AAF6EB21-078E-47DF-9536-6958C6E82442.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread