Audeze LCD-2 Closed
Feb 7, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #737 of 883
Hi all,

Have an LCD-2 Closed on the way, and intend to use it at work. Does anyone have recommendations for a good transport case? Preferably on the smaller side - big enough to fit it, but small enough to maybe put inside a backpack?

Feb 14, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #738 of 883
I love(d) these headphones. I have them for 3 years now. First the dac/amplifier was a chord mojo and I liked the sound but I wanted more. I bought an Matrix Mini-i PRO 3 MQA (dac/amplifier/streamer) and I gained a little detail and soundstage but the real upgrade was when I upgraded from the standard cable to a balanced cable from Meze Audio. That was another one level of sound quality, clear and more detailed!
I listen a lot to Folk/Americana, Country and Acoustic, with the ocasional top 40 hits from time to time.
Recently I changed the pads to Dekoni pads (Elite Sheepskin version) but I'm dissapointed, I have too much bass and mids, the soundstage seem crowded. I'm using Roon to EQ the sound back to my standards, but I'm inclined to order the original pads from Audeze. Anyone had a similar disappointing experience when replacing pads? Thanks, all the best!

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #739 of 883
Hi all,

Have an LCD-2 Closed on the way, and intend to use it at work. Does anyone have recommendations for a good transport case? Preferably on the smaller side - big enough to fit it, but small enough to maybe put inside a backpack?
I liked the look of Dekoni case, but I don't have it or used it. You should look for some reviews...
Link

Mar 18, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #740 of 883
Looking for some advice, I’ve had my LCD 2 Closed back for about 3 months and I love the sound of these cans. However over the past couple of months I’ve been getting ear pain with left ear and it seems to only be irritated after an hour wearing them. I need to stop listening to them for a good few days but any time I go back to them I have the same issue. I also own a focal clear and Audioquest Nighthawk carbon which cause no pain so I’m not sure what the issue could be. I listen to music at moderate levels as well. Anyone else have this issue?

Mar 19, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #741 of 883
Looking for some advice, I’ve had my LCD 2 Closed back for about 3 months and I love the sound of these cans. However over the past couple of months I’ve been getting ear pain with left ear and it seems to only be irritated after an hour wearing them. I need to stop listening to them for a good few days but any time I go back to them I have the same issue. I also own a focal clear and Audioquest Nighthawk carbon which cause no pain so I’m not sure what the issue could be. I listen to music at moderate levels as well. Anyone else have this issue?
It could be that the pads are putting pressure on your trigeminal nerve; the stock pads on my Audeze LCD2 Closed Backs started peeling off and deforming for some reason, and I had a similar discomfort. I recently upgraded to a pair of AHG sheepskins, and they seem to be doing better, albeit they are shallower, sound hasn't changed for the worse, however.

Mar 19, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #742 of 883
I gotta say, I was getting increasingly frustrated with my Audeze LCD-2CB's lack of proper isolation, because for some reason these huge closed cans don't isolate that much, I can very much hear my PC's fan running, and a great amount of ambient noises/sounds.

So I tried getting a pair of Aeon Closed Xs (ACX), planning on selling my Audezes later on, and when I received the former, I was very impressed with the isolation and technicalities, the ACXs are amazing cans, and they are very closed to Harman tuning, but.... I just couldn't let go of my LCD-2CB, doing more and more A/B testing between the cans, there is just something about the warm sound of the LCD-2CB, and their dark(?) tilted treble, that makes certain songs sound "haunting" to my ears, in a very very addictive way.

The ACX has "thumpier", maybe tighter?, bass, but the LCD-2CBs have slam and warmth; ACX have more air and treble detail, but they can be a bit too much with 60s/70s poorly recorded acid garage rock, LCD-2CBs mellow such genre very very well:

LCD-2CBs can make the vocals take a bit of a back seat, but in my personal opinion it's not that bad, our ear and hearing physiology can help us pay more attention to that anyhow, and while the ACX can make vocals sound live and in front of you, they can emphasize certain S/Z and Ch/Sh and make cymbals and tambourine zills sound crispy frying at times, but what I ended loving about the LCD-2CBs is their "hauntingly mystical" sound they can give to vocals, and that probably sounded hella cringe, but hear me out, or better yet, hear this out with the LCD-2CBs:

With the ACX you feel EDM music is being played live, and vocals become much more upfront, with a very great and tight sound, but with the Audezes a lot much more of the synths get through the songs, whilst also making piano notes sound more "crunchy" and "woozy", in a very pleasing way; this probably sounds stupid, but it's like I get "more song", like, "more substance", whilst listening to the LCD-2CBs:

ACX are lighter and maybe more comfortable for some, but the heft and size of the LCD-2CB is something I've learned to appreciate, it's like committing to a bigger experience, and maybe it just makes me feel "safer", like wearing kind of a pilot's helmet. Furthermore, the ACX pads had foam that was too hard for long hour sessions, it began to hurt my TMJ region.

All in all, I decided to return the ACX for now, and keep the Audezes. DCA's tuning is exceptional, the ACX is very REALLY good for what they are, and I do very much plan to save for a pair of Noires, which I'm guessing sound even better. But for now, I added just a dash of airy spark to the LCD-2CBs, through APO EQing, and they're just phenomenal, I'm keeping these for sure.

TL;DR: Lack of isolation made me almost replace the LCD-2CBs with some Aeon Closed Xs, but I kept the former because of it's very unique sound signature.

I guess this quasi rant just turned into a weird(o's) review *shrug*. Hope this helps somebody trying to make a similar decision! :)

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #743 of 883
It could be that the pads are putting pressure on your trigeminal nerve; the stock pads on my Audeze LCD2 Closed Backs started peeling off and deforming for some reason, and I had a similar discomfort. I recently upgraded to a pair of AHG sheepskins, and they seem to be doing better, albeit they are shallower, sound hasn't changed for the worse, however.

I’ve tried swapping pads and I still get the same pain with my left ear. My right ear seems fine. I’m not sure if it’s just planar headphones or Audeze headphones but when I use them the next day that’s when I get really bad earache and and just under my ear as well.

Mar 19, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #744 of 883
I’ve tried swapping pads and I still get the same pain with my left ear. My right ear seems fine. I’m not sure if it’s just planar headphones or Audeze headphones but when I use them the next day that’s when I get really bad earache and and just under my ear as well.
Then perhaps it's not the material of the pad, but the shape of them in general; or are you suspecting it is the sound per se that is causing the pain?

Mar 19, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #745 of 883
Then perhaps it's not the material of the pad, but the shape of them in general; or are you suspecting it is the sound per se that is causing the pain?

It’s strange because my dynamic driver headphones are fine and I experience no pain. Mind you the Audeze are a lot heavier so that play a factor in it as well. I do love these headphones and begrudge letting them go but I may have no choice due to the pain I get after using them.

Mar 19, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #746 of 883
It’s strange because my dynamic driver headphones are fine and I experience no pain. Mind you the Audeze are a lot heavier so that play a factor in it as well. I do love these headphones and begrudge letting them go but I may have no choice due to the pain I get after using them.
A high pain might be stemming from some sort of developing lesion, it might be worth checking that out with your ORL medic!

Apr 20, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #747 of 883
How much power do the LCD-2 closed need? I have a Vali 2 I'm using with HD600's and am looking for a set of closed back HP's.
Vali 2:
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1500mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1000mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 400mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 200mW RMS per channel

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #748 of 883
How much power do the LCD-2 closed need? I have a Vali 2 I'm using with HD600's and am looking for a set of closed back HP's.
Vali 2:

Thanks for any help
This seems quite enough to me.

Apr 21, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #749 of 883
Vali 2:

Thanks for any help
I haven’t tried them on the Vali 2 but that has substantially more power than the single-ended headphone out on the Zen DAC v1 and they drive the LCD-2 Closed adequately, so I’d wager that the Vali 2 is plenty of power.

Apr 21, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #750 of 883

Users who are viewing this thread

Back