Audeze LCD-2 Closed
May 30, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #752 of 883
Hey guys I just got my LCD-2 closed a few days ago and I’m pretty sure they are the 2021 variant. Does anyone have any good equalizer apo settings for these? If so would you mind sharing them, I feel I almost have mine dialed in but would love to see other options.

Jun 21, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #755 of 883
I gotta say, I was getting increasingly frustrated with my Audeze LCD-2CB's lack of proper isolation, because for some reason these huge closed cans don't isolate that much, I can very much hear my PC's fan running, and a great amount of ambient noises/sounds.

So I tried getting a pair of Aeon Closed Xs (ACX), planning on selling my Audezes later on, and when I received the former, I was very impressed with the isolation and technicalities, the ACXs are amazing cans, and they are very closed to Harman tuning, but.... I just couldn't let go of my LCD-2CB, doing more and more A/B testing between the cans, there is just something about the warm sound of the LCD-2CB, and their dark(?) tilted treble, that makes certain songs sound "haunting" to my ears, in a very very addictive way.

The ACX has "thumpier", maybe tighter?, bass, but the LCD-2CBs have slam and warmth; ACX have more air and treble detail, but they can be a bit too much with 60s/70s poorly recorded acid garage rock, LCD-2CBs mellow such genre very very well:

LCD-2CBs can make the vocals take a bit of a back seat, but in my personal opinion it's not that bad, our ear and hearing physiology can help us pay more attention to that anyhow, and while the ACX can make vocals sound live and in front of you, they can emphasize certain S/Z and Ch/Sh and make cymbals and tambourine zills sound crispy frying at times, but what I ended loving about the LCD-2CBs is their "hauntingly mystical" sound they can give to vocals, and that probably sounded hella cringe, but hear me out, or better yet, hear this out with the LCD-2CBs:

With the ACX you feel EDM music is being played live, and vocals become much more upfront, with a very great and tight sound, but with the Audezes a lot much more of the synths get through the songs, whilst also making piano notes sound more "crunchy" and "woozy", in a very pleasing way; this probably sounds stupid, but it's like I get "more song", like, "more substance", whilst listening to the LCD-2CBs:

ACX are lighter and maybe more comfortable for some, but the heft and size of the LCD-2CB is something I've learned to appreciate, it's like committing to a bigger experience, and maybe it just makes me feel "safer", like wearing kind of a pilot's helmet. Furthermore, the ACX pads had foam that was too hard for long hour sessions, it began to hurt my TMJ region.

All in all, I decided to return the ACX for now, and keep the Audezes. DCA's tuning is exceptional, the ACX is very REALLY good for what they are, and I do very much plan to save for a pair of Noires, which I'm guessing sound even better. But for now, I added just a dash of airy spark to the LCD-2CBs, through APO EQing, and they're just phenomenal, I'm keeping these for sure.

TL;DR: Lack of isolation made me almost replace the LCD-2CBs with some Aeon Closed Xs, but I kept the former because of it's very unique sound signature.

I guess this quasi rant just turned into a weird(o's) review *shrug*. Hope this helps somebody trying to make a similar decision! :)

I wonder if you have a pair of the earlier manufactured lcd2 closed? Because most find them to be anything but dark. Mine are quite bright, and very flat through the mids. No real recession in the mids with a slight bass boost.
I also have the og Aeon Closed. Different tuning to the X's, but great sounding headphones. Mine are super flat and neutral.

Jun 21, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #757 of 883
Out of curiosity do the LCD-2CB or Aeon Closed have the same kind of bass slam as the old Audeze EL-8s?
I have the original Aeon Closed, they don't slam. They are super neutral. Not good for hip hop or edm. The newer RT Aeon has a bass bump tuned into it. I have not heard them though. All Aeons eq well, but need a good amp.

Lcd2 closed slam pretty hard. Not very boosted, maybe 2db above neutral, but goes deep into sub bass with good mid bass punch. Not heard the EL-8's.

Jun 22, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #758 of 883
I'm interested in buying these used, and ahve seen several listings of the original cup design where one of the cups appears to be misaligned. That is, the point of the A shape on one cup points straight up (12 o'clock position), but on the other is off to the left (closer to 11 o'clock). Aesthetic issue only, but not having seen these in person I'm curious whether this is a design feature where the cups are fixed that way, or a sign that something is off with the featured pair.

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #759 of 883
Out of curiosity do the LCD-2CB or Aeon Closed have the same kind of bass slam as the old Audeze EL-8s?
LCD-2 closed slam > EL-8 > Aeon Closed

The Aeons have a relatively neutral sound and although have an interesting soundstage presentation (somewhat 3D), I enjoy the Audeze much more.

Jul 3, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #760 of 883
Just read this whole thread, it was an enjoyable few hours :beyersmile: My Beyerdynamic Lagoon ANC broke down on me (mechanical only - stuck together with tape, it's still working). First, I started looking for great wireless cans, then for great portable ones like the DCA Aeon 2 Closed/Noir. Then I ended up in Top Hifi in Warsaw where they let me listen to the LCD-2 Closed Back. I removed it from my shortlist because of size/weight, but after the listen, it was firmly on top of my list again. Source was my iPad with the master recordings of my own music (synth straight digital to iPad), connected via USB-C to a Dragonfly Cobalt, connected to a Copland DAC 215, to the LCD-2CB. I was very impressed by the accuracy and soundstage, while still being very musical. Weight was initially very noticeable but actually ok in use. It's like getting into a hot tub where initially your mind is all occupied with the heat (read: size/weight) and only later you notice - hey, this is actually quite nice in here! I felt so firmly at home. It gently showed errors in my mixes without making them stick out like a sore thumb. The experience reminded me very much to when I upgraded my crappy small speakers to Dmax SuperCube monitor speakers and suddenly, there was no speaker anymore. I was in the middle of the music and I could see right through it all and point out exactly where each instrument is. I was impressed by the bass, though I would like it better if it were louder. If I were to buy one, I'd use it straight from the synth, or with a new Macbook Pro 14 that has an integrated headphone amp, which I hear is quite good. I'd EQ the bass with the mac. I won't be buying the Copland, I don't need it and it's way over budget for me :smile:

I see that Top Hifi has the new marbled version for PLN5000 (€1070) whereas the old version with the A on the cups is €3500 (€745). I asked them if that's new or used. If new, it sounds like a good deal.

I live in Belgium and I basically have no way of comparing the DCA Aeon 2 Closed or Noir versus the LCD-2 CB. The only thing I can do is order them from Thomann, then use their return policy, which is kinda crazy. They have the LCD2 CB marbled version for €888, the Aeons go for €100 more. So weighing my options here. As for travel - I'm looking at a 7Hz Timeless + iFi Go Blu to use wired or wireless with my iPad.

Aug 1, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #762 of 883
Thought I would share some measurements of the 2021 LCD closed ( in yellow ) compared to the HD650 (pink ) and the LCD2c 2021. ( purple)

+ Some other photos 😅

(Yeah.. my dad has well over 70 headphones... )

I can confidently say, the the LCD-CB can compete with the likes of HD800s and the Beye T1 gen 2...

Gonna make a short review later. But in short, it's good :)

IMG-20220801-WA0018.jpg

IMG_20220801_165050405.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #763 of 883
The original LCD-2 closed backs are those with black cups and the A emblem.

The newer 2020-21 LCD-2 closed have those marble-ish cups but the 2021 versions share the same pleather(?) pads which aren't memory foam. They're not as plushy or deep IME but still very comfy and most importantly provide a better frequency response!

I don't think you should get rid of your Hifiman unless its a budget constraint. Theres such complimentary sounds between Audeze and Hifiman.
More info about the differences on sound?

Aug 13, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #764 of 883
More info about the differences on sound?
I haven’t heard the LCD2 since late December when I sold them off so I can’t recall.

From what I remember the marble cup 2020-21 models had a more flat/neutral response rather than the warmer, bass-ier early models. Not sure about fazor count

I replaced them with 2021 XCs which follows the same trend in sound (flat monitor) but I sold those off a few months ago as well. I believe there’s 6 fazors when they updated the XCs vs previous models with 8.

Sorry if that’s not much help.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #765 of 883
Well, I have a new pair of 2021-22 LCD2-CB

They are very "Harman neutral“. And I mean this in the bedst way possible. When I listen to my HD650 and DT1990 EQ'ed to Harman, then the tonality is in the same ballpark.

The only " downside" is the finish on the cups. They have a lacquer finish that scratches easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back