Audeze LCD-2 Closed
Apr 2, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #616 of 883
I'm looking forward to a thick, dark sound -- I do have the LCD-X, also, I am expecting the LCD-2 Closed to sound different than those, certainly. :)

Eventually, I will probably get the LCD-XC to get that more detailed, technically accurate closed LCD sound signature, but I kind of really wanted to hear this more laid back sound of the LCD-2 Closed first -- I have a feeling I'm really going to dig it.
Exactly. I wish more people weren't strictly brand loyal. I'll never sell my GH2s - from the others I have heard, I can understand why people say that peak in the upper mid / low treble range turns them off. These are much smoother and balanced. GW100 is also one I'll never let go. They have some of that punch and attack (likely due to the modded S-pads) and are still open -- but wireless!

I also wanted something closed and relatively "neutral", as subjective as that term is. I think you'll love these like FullBright said. It really took me about a week to actually APPRECIATE their signature instead of just listen to justify the cost. Variety is good, and these cans are VERY good. These and my GH2s are kind of like the polar opposites in some sense, but they both have something that makes them hard to put down.

On a similar note, the Sundara was one that sounded really good initially to my ears but after months of comparison, it kind of lost it's appeal to me. It's a good headphone, don't get me wrong. The soundstage on those is probably more impressive than the LCD2-closed! But it doesn't have the immediacy of my other two reference points.

Apr 2, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #617 of 883
I'm looking forward to a thick, dark sound -- I do have the LCD-X, also, I am expecting the LCD-2 Closed to sound different than those, certainly. :)

Eventually, I will probably get the LCD-XC to get that more detailed, technically accurate closed LCD sound signature, but I kind of really wanted to hear this more laid back sound of the LCD-2 Closed first -- I have a feeling I'm really going to dig it.
The XC sounds much different than the X.
A lot more energy and resolution.

You'll find that the LCD-2Closed has nice detail.

Apr 2, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #618 of 883
Exactly. I wish more people weren't strictly brand loyal. I'll never sell my GH2s - from the others I have heard, I can understand why people say that peak in the upper mid / low treble range turns them off. These are much smoother and balanced. GW100 is also one I'll never let go. They have some of that punch and attack (likely due to the modded S-pads) and are still open -- but wireless!

I also wanted something closed and relatively "neutral", as subjective as that term is. I think you'll love these like FullBright said. It really took me about a week to actually APPRECIATE their signature instead of just listen to justify the cost. Variety is good, and these cans are VERY good. These and my GH2s are kind of like the polar opposites in some sense, but they both have something that makes them hard to put down.

On a similar note, the Sundara was one that sounded really good initially to my ears but after months of comparison, it kind of lost it's appeal to me. It's a good headphone, don't get me wrong. The soundstage on those is probably more impressive than the LCD2-closed! But it doesn't have the immediacy of my other two reference points.

You would like the LSA-HP2.
It has that clean top end and sparkly mids and excellent sub bass.
There is no better sounding Closed headphone, if you like accuracy, clarity, and a unique approach to the low end.
DMS recently reveiwed the Aeon Noire, and thinks these are the gold standard regarding= Closed.
If he ever hears the LSA-HP2, he'll suddenly develop a different opinion.

Apr 2, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #619 of 883
You would like the LSA-HP2.
It has that clean top end and sparkly mids and excellent sub bass.
There is no better sounding Closed headphone, if you like accuracy, clarity, and a unique approach to the low end.
DMS recently reveiwed the Aeon Noire, and thinks these are the gold standard regarding= Closed.
If he ever hears the LSA-HP2, he'll suddenly develop a different opinion.
Cool! Thanks for the info. Reading their site, it's HORN Loaded? LOL. I will keep those in mind once I get the itch for sure. In the mean time, I use these Audeze behemoths at my desktop when I work with a Schiit Loki and Asgard 2 in low gain. Wish I could go thru the process of hearing & appreciating them again like @trellus is about to do!!

Apr 2, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #621 of 883
Cool! Thanks for the info. Reading their site, it's HORN Loaded? LOL. I will keep those in mind once I get the itch for sure. In the mean time, I use these Audeze behemoths at my desktop when I work with a Schiit Loki and Asgard 2 in low gain. Wish I could go thru the process of hearing & appreciating them again like @trellus is about to do!!
The LSA-HP2 Driver looks like this.
-
Hp2 Driver.JPG

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #622 of 883
I probably don't listen to Dub-step or House/Electronic, as much as i should, so, i hooked the LCD-2 Closed up with some of this style, and i can tell you that if those Genre's are your thing, then, you will love the LCD-2Closed.
This set of headphones has a lot of low end power, so, obviously the Gear will work well with those genres.

Apr 2, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #623 of 883
I probably don't listen to Dub-step or House/Electronic, as much as i should, so, i hooked the LCD-2 Closed up with some of this style, and i can tell you that if those Genre's are your thing, then, you will love the LCD-2Closed.
This set of headphones has a lot of low end power, so, obviously the Gear will work well with those genres.

sweet... this purchase keeps looking better and better 😌

do you have those LSA HP-2, incidentally? Seems like a different sound signature than the LCD-2 Closed but also one I might really dig.

Apr 3, 2021 at 12:57 AM Post #624 of 883
I agree with @FullBright1 along with another member who mentioned this being a ‘connoisseur’ bass quality and presentation.

ive found electronic music benefits more from a low sub reach rather the mid bass hump that while really fun it loses texture and resolution

The humble iFi Zen Can with the analogue bass boost does electronic music justice.
Much more refined, controlled And textured than the Cascades IME.

Ive never tried a Fostex 900/909 and they’re at the top of my list at the next CanJam but I think planar bass suits my tastes well.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #625 of 883
I agree with @FullBright1 along with another member who mentioned this being a ‘connoisseur’ bass quality and presentation.

ive found electronic music benefits more from a low sub reach rather the mid bass hump that while really fun it loses texture and resolution

The humble iFi Zen Can with the analogue bass boost does electronic music justice.
Much more refined, controlled And textured than the Cascades IME.

Ive never tried a Fostex 900/909 and they’re at the top of my list at the next CanJam but I think planar bass suits my tastes well.
I have the LCD-2 CB + the 900. Had the 909s. The 909s have great sub-bass... and although wider than the 900 (as they should be), not as wide as I figured they'd be for an open back.

The 900s have more authority in the low end than the LCD-2 CBs, but there's more clarity, detail, and accuracy in the Audeze.

If I really want to rumble my brains, it's the 900s. But the little I lose in the bass department is made up for with being able to better hear and enjoy the music with the Audeze.

Apr 3, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #626 of 883
I have the LCD-2 CB + the 900. Had the 909s. The 909s have great sub-bass... and although wider than the 900 (as they should be), not as wide as I figured they'd be for an open back.

The 900s have more authority in the low end than the LCD-2 CBs, but there's more clarity, detail, and accuracy in the Audeze.

If I really want to rumble my brains, it's the 900s. But the little I lose in the bass department is made up for with being able to better hear and enjoy the music with the Audeze.
The Cascades with the X Bass on were ridiculously fun. Just a shame Cascades murdered the high mids and treble.
Plus the resolution wasn’t there for its MSRP.

I’m always surprised with how low the LCD2 closed reach. I’m thinking Akasha System, Greg Beato, Terekke, etc

I have a feeling I’ll end up with a Fostex for that bass. Plus they look great.

I’ve heard the best bass comes from the Abyss 1266.
I’m saving up for one

Apr 3, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #627 of 883
To be clear -- I don't think this has balanced in/out. If it's going to be north of $500 (let alone north of $1K), I'd all but expect that.

From the picture it looks like it has balanced in and out. I would be all over that since my sources are balanced except for my turntable and tape deck, and I would place it right after my Freya+ in my chain as balanced output so all my sources can be balanced and have the abilty to be EQ'd.

Apr 3, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #628 of 883
sweet... this purchase keeps looking better and better 😌

do you have those LSA HP-2, incidentally? Seems like a different sound signature than the LCD-2 Closed but also one I might really dig.

Yes.
I reviewed the Grado Hemp and the LSA-HP2 recently.
If you have time, check out the reviews.
Both are very good, excellent actually.
The Grado Hemp is still a Grado.....it has the upper FR dynamics that are a bit aggressive, but, its the best so far.......
If you put the GS1000 pads on it, then its going to be as close to a easy listening Grado as ive ever heard, yet, its still very dynamic and detailed.
If you put the yellow pads on it, that are not open, then this is the best sound that the Hemp has to offer, using small pads
I linked both in the Review.
The LSA-HP2 that i also reviewed here, is just the sonic gold standard for a "closed".

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #630 of 883
The Atticus has it beat in spades for appearance and comfort (although the LCD-2 closed pads are pretty comfy and the weight is distributed pretty evenly). But I'm guessing that's not what you're curious about.

Although the Atticus has a smooth and fun mid-bass, it doesn't pack the same punch that the Audeze do. If you're a big bass head, the LCD-2 closed are your winners. Both headphones are pretty wide for closed backs, but I'd give a slight edge to the Atticus. The imaging is better on the Atticus. A perfect example -- I'm listening to "Too Much Time on My Hands" by Styx and the *clap clap* (i.e around 1:39 and 1:47 and 1:54) has a much cleaner, more distinguished left vs. right pan. To the point where when I was listening to it last night on my ZMFs, I handed them off to the missus and she noticed it as well. There's just slightly better layering / separation in the Atticus. The Atticus also feels a bit more natural, warm (not in a bassy way), relaxing, musical, delicate (sorry -- just words that are coming to mind). Not sure if it's a "speed" thing (i.e. faster planar = harder/edgier vs. smoother, slower ZMFs). Both headphones surface a lot of details that you typically don't notice They are clear, but not fatiguing... but I'd say for comfort reasons and for the smoothness, the ZMFs would be my "extended listening session" headphones.

If you want to rock out, I'd go with the LCD-2s and then slap an EQ on them.

If you just want to chill and enjoy the music, the Atticus are the winners. I just put a pilot pad (bought from here) on my Cocobolos last night. Soooo comfy. Soooo smooth. So enjoyable.
I actually just got my hand on my LCD-2 closed after about 2 weeks with 2 Classic as a loaner. I can imagine now how the Atticus will sound from your description. And yeah, planar vs dynamic is just so hard to pin down the difference. I guess I can have a ZMF sometime in the future to complement my 2 closed. I'm most curious what natural sound sounds like, is it similar to when people say realistic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back