Audeze LCD-2 Closed
Mar 26, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #331 of 883
I'm wondering has anyone tried the Dekoni velours? I have them on my XC and the sound is much better. More even top end, added mid bass and dare I say wider sound stage.
The clamp force is kinda strong with them being thicker + memory foam so considering Vesper Audio to make a custom non memory foam alcantara version .

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #332 of 883
I'm wondering has anyone tried the Dekoni velours? I have them on my XC and the sound is much better. More even top end, added mid bass and dare I say wider sound stage.
The clamp force is kinda strong with them being thicker + memory foam so considering Vesper Audio to make a custom non memory foam alcantara version .
I got the Dekoni velours as well as the fenestrated sheep skins to play around with on my lcd2c’s, I have been wanting to try them on the 2CB but I use them as my current portable so I don’t think they would isolate as well as the stock pads, also thought they might less their beloved low end punch. I may give them a try later today and report back.

Mar 26, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #333 of 883
I went to a store the other day and tested both the LCD2C and the closed back version, for almost an hour. I was surprised by how similar the sound was on both of them, not noticing the huge difference between them as I did when I got my Hifiman 4XX after spending all my time with closed headphones. I listened to some metal and I really liked them both with Prog, Michael Romeo's Oblivion sounded incredible on both of them. I was not impressed with Black/Death though. Bear in mind that all these comes from comparing them to the gear I have (Meze 99 Classics and Hifiman 4XX), so I honestly don't know at which point they are good/bad in their own accord or just because of the comparison. I liked the mids better in the open version, but the closed version's bass was incredible. I just loved them both!

As well, yes, the closed version is heavier, but I had no issues at all wearing them, I felt them light on my head the whole time (of course, bear in mind I only had them for around 30 minutes, not for hours and hours).

I feel often that I could be one of the few hip hop heads who is an audiophile... I feel that video game nerds and audiophiles tend towards heavy metal which I don't listen to at all. In any case, I will be super excited to test my LCD-2CB set with Public Enemy and A Tribe Called Quest this weekend.

Mar 26, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #334 of 883
I got the Dekoni velours as well as the fenestrated sheep skins to play around with on my lcd2c’s, I have been wanting to try them on the 2CB but I use them as my current portable so I don’t think they would isolate as well as the stock pads, also thought they might less their beloved low end punch. I may give them a try later today and report back.

I think a complaint on the XC was it sealed and cause a vacumm, I'd imagine it's the same with the CB. I also tried the Audeze pleathers and they were a bit too bright and I only had them on for all of 10 minutes. I love the sound of the Velours.

For anyone looking If you offer $35 here he should accept.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #335 of 883
I think a complaint on the XC was it sealed and cause a vacumm, I'd imagine it's the same with the CB. I also tried the Audeze pleathers and they were a bit too bright and I only had them on for all of 10 minutes. I love the sound of the Velours.

Yes, there was a feeling I didn't like after listening to the CB for 20 or 30 minutes. I suppose that would be the vacuum feeling. One would say that all closed backs should have that, but that's not true. The Nightowl doesn't for example.

Mar 29, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #336 of 883
I finally got this headset and love it with my DragonFly Red DAC :)

20190329_143332.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #337 of 883
It's crazy that the LCD can now be powered to a baseline entry-level sound from something like that :)
It has a whole lot more to offer if you stick a dedicated amp in front of that DF red though....just that headroom of watts will
really take them to a higher level.

How would you describe the synergy of DF red and the 2CB anyway...?

Mar 30, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #338 of 883
I finally got this headset and love it with my DragonFly Red DAC :)

20190329_143332.jpg

Very cool,! I'm interested seeing how the Dekoni velours are on these. For my XC it improved the sound a lot.

Mar 30, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #339 of 883
Hi I am trying to decide if I should get the 2CB. I just got a Kennerton Odin Thridi which blows my older LCD3s out of the water and so I sold the LCD3s to get something a little bit more complimenary of what I have. I have a ATHa2000x which I really like as my only home closed backs. I thought I would get something with a bit more bass as a compliment. I have not scene anyone comparing these to the Fostex TH900. I think I may get a new 2CB or a used TH900. Has anyone had experience with both? I do have a higher end DAC and Tube amp so source and power is not an issue. Thanks

Mar 30, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #340 of 883
I think you can’t go wrong with either. I use to have the th900s but didn’t isolate well enough for me. Some say that the lcd 2 closed back bass is a little lacking but trust me with the proper eq they can hit just as hard as any headphone I’ve tried and can be just as fun if that is what you are looking for.

Mar 31, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #342 of 883
In my experience Audeze headphones EQ better than any other headphone I’ve own. The LCD-2CB’s are probably Audeze’s most neutral headphone, along with the LCD-4. The LCD-X and LCD-XC both have bass north of neutral but the LCD-2CB’s can be EQ’d to match there bass output if that is what you desire. Like other Audeze headphones, outside of the 4Z, be prepare to feed them with a little more power. You’ll be rewarded when you do.

Mar 31, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #343 of 883
It's crazy that the LCD can now be powered to a baseline entry-level sound from something like that :)
It has a whole lot more to offer if you stick a dedicated amp in front of that DF red though....just that headroom of watts will
really take them to a higher level.

How would you describe the synergy of DF red and the 2CB anyway...?

They work very well. To put it this way... I spun some Lester Young Savoy recordings while walking to the train and my mind was blown to shreds if that tells you anything.

Mar 31, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #344 of 883
I think you can’t go wrong with either. I use to have the th900s but didn’t isolate well enough for me. Some say that the lcd 2 closed back bass is a little lacking but trust me with the proper eq they can hit just as hard as any headphone I’ve tried and can be just as fun if that is what you are looking for.
How would you compare them both when it comes to both sound and comfort? I am kinda in the same situation as Strayngs, between TH900 and LCD2CB.

Mar 31, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #345 of 883
How would you compare them both when it comes to both sound and comfort? I am kinda in the same situation as Strayngs, between TH900 and LCD2CB.

I can compare a Teak to a XC?

Comfort to Fostex and sound out of the box also to Fostex but like the poster said above the Audeze responds very well to EQ. When EQ'd with >>velour pads<< the Audeze XC is a different beast altogether. Which is better? depends on your preference. My Audeze XC's imaging has more layers and wider soundstage but i also love the EMU for different reasons. Velours also add mid-bass and both have great slam.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back