Audeze LCD-2 Closed
Mar 13, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #301 of 883
Weight- Carbon is lighter than steel, making the headphone tad lighter. I mean less heavy LOL

I got them for $100 so grabbed it as the XC's are heavy. I haven't got to listen to them yet as I had no balanced amp on hand but the finish on the wood cups is amazing has an almost pearlescent look to it.
I also had protein leather pads from my old modded M1060C (now sold). The headband on that is so bad and I am curious to see how they change the sound as they made the m1060c sound much better.

Mar 13, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #302 of 883
They are very similar in tone. The LCD-2CB's sounds good right out the box. The XC's needed a little break in to sound their best. The XC's may be little more resolving and image a little better but they are also heavier. To the untrained ear you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

I wouldn't dare take the XC's out the house. The LCD-2CB's are more "outside friendly" due to the all aluminum build. They both are a little big to be considered portable.

I managed to get a amazing deal on a carbon headband and headphones of this size definitely need it. I had an m1060c and it's headband was crap but the suspension implementation certainly helped.

I think these look amazing.

de3v25P.jpg lzGXhlK.jpg

Anybody have a Audeze 1/4" cable? I have an unused XLR Audeze cable for trade. Hit me up.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #303 of 883
Just received my 2CB's. First impressions after 100hrs burn in: Wow. These might be the best Audeze's and some of the most underappreciated headphones I have come across. At least to my ears. I am not a big fan of the Audeze house sound (generally too dark and too veiled). These ones have the most neutral signature I have heard in an LCD, even more than the already good 2C open back. Is the LCD- X more impressive in the bass department? Yes, but not by much. And after listening to the 2CB, I checked if the X was broken or not properly connected, because the high registers are just not there (relatively speaking). And the LCD-4? Sure, it might have more resolution, but at 4k it gets blown out of the water by the competition like the Utopia, HEKse, Empyrian, etc. And its sound signature is far less pleasing than the 2CB's, I dare say. Versus the LCD-XC? The XC is more V-shaped (i.e. less neutral), heavier and more expensive. Not a bad headphone, but IMO just meh.

The 2CB are the best offering in the sub 1k closed back market IMO. Better than the Elegia. The Elegia is a bit more resolving, but has peaky mids and can sound a bit metallic sometimes. Also, it focuses a bit more on mid bass as opposed to sub bass (where the 2CB really shines). The soundstage of the 2CB is even bigger than the Elegia's and really impressive for a closed back.

Still not a big fan of the Audeze design (weight and aesthetics), but in spite of the weight, they are relatively comfortable and sound great!

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #304 of 883
Just received my 2CB's. First impressions after 100hrs burn in: Wow. These might be the best Audeze's and some of the most underappreciated headphones I have come across. At least to my ears. I am not a big fan of the Audeze house sound (generally too dark and too veiled). These ones have the most neutral signature I have heard in an LCD, even more than the already good 2C open back. Is the LCD- X more impressive in the bass department? Yes, but not by much. And after listening to the 2CB, I checked if the X was broken or not properly connected, because the high registers are just not there (relatively speaking). And the LCD-4? Sure, it might have more resolution, but at 4k it gets blown out of the water by the competition like the Utopia, HEKse, Empyrian, etc. And its sound signature is far less pleasing than the 2CB's, I dare say. Versus the LCD-XC? The XC is more V-shaped (i.e. less neutral), heavier and more expensive. Not a bad headphone, but IMO just meh.

The 2CB are the best offering in the sub 1k closed back market IMO. Better than the Elegia. The Elegia is a bit more resolving, but has peaky mids and can sound a bit metallic sometimes. Also, it focuses a bit more on mid bass as opposed to sub bass (where the 2CB really shines). The soundstage of the 2CB is even bigger than the Elegia's and really impressive for a closed back.

Still not a big fan of the Audeze design (weight and aesthetics), but in spite of the weight, they are relatively comfortable and sound great!

I just got these also. I agree with much of what you said these are impressive and fun and seem to have a little more zip to their sound than the LCD2C. As far as the LCD X goes these have definitely more bass quantity than my X. The quality of the X bass is better though.

Mar 17, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #305 of 883

i didnt wanna sell them but they were just too similar to my lcd2c's. I replaced them with the hifiman edition x v2's

what are you using to power them?

Mar 17, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #306 of 883

You hear what I hear in these headphones. After listening to or owning most of the Audeze offerings I too think the 2CB’s may be Audeze best headphone to date. It’s the only one that doesn’t have that upper mid/lower treble suck out which makes it sound more balanced on top of it being neutral.

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #307 of 883
You hear what I hear in these headphones. After listening to or owning most of the Audeze offerings I too think the 2CB’s may be Audeze best headphone to date. It’s the only one that doesn’t have that upper mid/lower treble suck out which makes it sound more balanced on top of it being neutral.

Thanks for posting your impressions. I have been looking at both the Elegia and the LCD-2CB. I own both the Elex and the LCD-2 F. Love em both. I also own the AFC but find them a little lacking in bass impact.

Looks like the LCD-2 CB May be the closed back I’m looking for.

Mar 17, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #308 of 883

This is a very good headphone. It doesn't have a large dip around 3-4k like a typical Audeze, but it does rise sharply around 4k, which causes some sibilance. Actually, I found this phone in a rather bright side.
I choose this for hear its natural timbre with the plug-in enabled. SEDUCTIVE.
However, it is not the best when it comes to imaging, stereo separation, air, and etc. It doesn't handle busy phases like some top open headphones. Otherwise, it does a very good job.

Mar 17, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #309 of 883
This is a very good headphone. It doesn't have a large dip around 3-4k like a typical Audeze, but it does rise sharply around 4k, which causes some sibilance. Actually, I found this phone in a rather bright side.
I choose this for hear its natural timbre with the plug-in enabled. SEDUCTIVE.
However, it is not the best when it comes to imaging, stereo separation, air, and etc. It doesn't handle busy phases like some top open headphones. Otherwise, it does a very good job.
It doesn’t have the air of the X, and the soundstage is kind of flat. I wouldn’t call these bright, little sizzle up top but not enough to make these bright. The bass however wow! These are easily my bassiest HP’s.

Mar 17, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #310 of 883
It doesn’t have the air of the X, and the soundstage is kind of flat. I wouldn’t call these bright, little sizzle up top but not enough to make these bright. The bass however wow! These are easily my bassiest HP’s.

Yes, a better term would be harsh to my ears rather than calling them bright. I have used them with the sonarworks plug-in, which nicely smooth out upper frequencies.
That plug-in flattened out bass as well making it flat, but good bass texture remains.

Mar 18, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #311 of 883
Reading a lot of very favorable impressions of these. Does anyone have experience with both this model and the LCD-XC? I just returned my pair of XCs due to the unreliable high-end. Lots of severe peaks and dips in the ~ 4k to 12k range. So I would want something far more neutral than the XCs. I know it's not a problem with Audeze in general, as even the Mobius has a better frequency response than the XC imo.

Mar 18, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #312 of 883
Reading a lot of very favorable impressions of these. Does anyone have experience with both this model and the LCD-XC? I just returned my pair of XCs due to the unreliable high-end. Lots of severe peaks and dips in the ~ 4k to 12k range. So I would want something far more neutral than the XCs. I know it's not a problem with Audeze in general, as even the Mobius has a better frequency response than the XC imo.

I think Ether C Flow is more neutral overall than this, though it has slight 8k peak.

Mar 18, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #313 of 883

Funny how different impressions can be. I feel pretty much the opposites of what you said. IMO the LCD X has no air whatsoever. To me, the X is a one trick bass pony (but what a bass). The LCD 2CB to my ears is much airier and has easily the largest soundstage I have ever experienced in a closed back, and bigger than many open backs. While the bass on the 2CB is still very authoritative, it is more in balance with the overall signature as compared to the LCD X, i.e. less overwhelming.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #314 of 883

How would you rate the lcd2 closed back to others like the LCD-X?
Actually, I agree with you. Going back and forth between the lcd and the HE-1000SE, imaging is flat and background is gray due to some cup resonance, while the HE-1000SE has dead black dead background.
The lcd2 closed back is a good headphone, but it is not going to stay on my stack, and I am thinking about other LCDs. Was thinking about a LCD-X.

Mar 18, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #315 of 883
Funny how different impressions can be. I feel pretty much the opposites of what you said. IMO the LCD X has no air whatsoever. To me, the X is a one trick bass pony (but what a bass). The LCD 2CB to my ears is much airier and has easily the largest soundstage I have ever experienced in a closed back, and bigger than many open backs. While the bass on the 2CB is still very authoritative, it is more in balance with the overall signature as compared to the LCD X, i.e. less overwhelming.

When you listen to a singer wait for the rest of the band to stop playing. Listen for any reverb surrounding his voice. You should be able to hear it well with the LCD X. It does individual reverbs better than any HP I have. Contrast that with the 2CB and it is a lot harder to hear air on an individual basis or as a whole.

How would you rate the lcd2 closed back to others like the LCD-X?
Actually, I agree with you. Going back and forth between the lcd and the HE-1000SE, imaging is flat and background is gray due to some cup resonance, while the HE-1000SE has dead black dead background.
The lcd2 closed back is a good headphone, but it is not going to stay on my stack, and I am thinking about other LCDs. Was thinking about a LCD-X.

I view the 2CB as a fun and well balanced closed back. It is not the last word on critical listening. The X is much better for that which is why it is a favorite among studio guys. The 2CB is a jazzed up and closed 2C which many owners and reviewers say is a fun headphone that is relaxing and not really meant for critical listening, because it is too forgiving.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back