Audeze LCD-2 Closed
Jan 11, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #241 of 883
Re: studio use of XC or even the LCD2CB. I guess. They're both heavy and I couldn't imagine wearing them for 8-10 hours.

Re: XC hotter ... Could be. Yes, the XC has more treble energy and a bit more soundstage width. I don't have measurement tools so the LCD2CB could be on the warm side of neutral and thereby the XC is neutral or out could be the LCDCB is neutral and thereby the XC is hotter. IDK. I think the LCDCB's treble is nice but I can't tell which one is more neutral. Generally, I like the LCDCB's sound above the XC's for rock, hip-hop but for folk, pop I'm not so sure.

Jan 12, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #242 of 883
for friends who have tried both Elegia and LCD-2 CB, which one is more comfortable? thanks

For me, elegia doesnt really seal as well as audeze.

Elegia has stronger clamping force and lighter. The audeze is heavy but it fits like a helmet.

The audeze also has more comfortable and thick pads.

Other than comfort, the elegia sounds too neutral and dull.

The audeze is alot more engaging but the treble does not sound like audeze treble.

It is also completely different than xc. XC sounded in your face close.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #243 of 883
...The audeze is heavy but it fits like a helmet.

... The audeze is alot more engaging but the treble does not sound like audeze treble.

It is also completely different than xc. XC sounded in your face close.

I'd agree with the above re: LCD2CB v XC; I guess the XC is a bit hotter after listening to more tracks on both phones.

After listening to the LCD2CB I don't see a reason to pay more for the XC... other than the XC's wood and possibly some soundstage benefits the LCD2CB is more coherent, balanced, and fun/musical.

Other Thoughts / Other Phones

But, with that said there is another phone that is close enough to the LCD2CB out of the box: the Meze 99 phone sounds really good and is lighter weight... clamps less. Now, the phrase "out of the box" is critical. Once I DSP the LCD2CB via Roon the LCD2CB more separates itself from the Meze 99, but again that's with DSP and $500 (USD) more dollars. :triportsad:

edit:

In case any one is wondering about the DSP features of Roon-- Audeze has provided its own plug-in for DSP with Roon and Audirvana

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #244 of 883
upload_2019-1-13_11-29-42.png

upload_2019-1-13_11-29-16.png

Jan 13, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #245 of 883
We tuned LCD-2 closed to sound as close to neutral as possible within the constraints of being a closed back.

Straight from the source. Check out this post on the first page if you haven't already. I wonder which other non-Audeze planar they tested?

Also, I use the Audeze preset in Roon with my 2CB's too. It's a subtle difference but I really enjoy it.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #247 of 883
Yes the plug-in is free. My point was it takes DSP (for me) to say the LCD2CB is demonstrately better than the Meze 99. The $500 is the price difference between the two phones ($900 LCD2CB;$350 Meze 99)

I guess that's actually $550. Wow

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #248 of 883
Yes the plug-in is free. My point was it takes DSP (for me) to say the LCD2CB is demonstrately better than the Meze 99. The $500 is the price difference between the two phones ($900 LCD2CB;$350 Meze 99)

I guess that's actually $550. Wow

Hmmmm, interesting. I knew the Meze 99 was good and had a good rep but I’m intrigued to check it out if it is on the same level as the 2CB.

Wasn’t there also a Massdrop Meze99 version for $200?

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #249 of 883
Hmmmm, interesting. I knew the Meze 99 was good and had a good rep but I’m intrigued to check it out if it is on the same level as the 2CB.

Wasn’t there also a Massdrop Meze99 version for $200?

Wait. wait. wait. I think I misspoke or miscommunicated. I don't want to be irresponsible. They are not on the same level. The LCD2CB is better, but more like 5-10% better, which for those in this hobby is more than enough to pay an extra $500 to obtain :smile_phones:.

A $200 Massdrop - wow that'll be great to get. I got the normally retail available versions. Innerfidelity says the Neo is different than the Classics. Idk- my ears may be not as discerning or I got a good seal each time.

The biggest difference is the Meze's have this bass growth (I believe it's only in the low-end) that makes music have heft, musicality, and fun beyond the LCD2CB, but the LCD2CB is clearer, more transparent, and I'd suppose has a more neutral decay. But they both are musical and I think as the LCD2CB as the audiophile improvement on the Mezes. Idk it that helps.

Finally, the Meze 99s have versatility on their side. wdim?
  • The Meze can be used straight out of a phone/DAP-- the LCD2CB have to be be played at the highest volumes to begin to bloom
  • The Meze are sooo lighter - making walking around easier - Ik many have said the LCD's weight is evenly distributed on the head and they don't feel it on their ears... well, good 4 them. I feel it. I have to stop wearing after about 45 minutes. Take a break. The Mezes because of their ear cup size could sit on the ear so... they could get uncomfortable after a while, too.
In the end, the LCD2CB are better phones, but if your music is pop, rock, funk, folk-- genres like that... then buy the Meze 99, save the $$$, and have fun! But if you need a transparent, more neutral, all-around-er and are ok with a heavy phone then the LCD2CB.

I personally, think if your need classical* and other genres then get two phones.

* - I mean you want the super-wide soundstaging, the layering of the violin, the magical sounding harp, the wintery sound of the flute... everyday classical can be met by the 99s and the LCD2CBs. For example: I only truly enjoy classical through the Sennheiser 800S- there the operas sound like fights between the two sides, violence, clashing, it's emotional out of the 800S. I bet that those who don't care for classical have rarer heard it as a play or a drama enacted out by instruments from all across the stage. IDK. It was just eye-opening out of the 800S unlike any other phone.

Sorry, let me get back to the LCD2CB - great phone. If I needed audiophile grade and closed and was only buying one phone then I'd probably get it.. But I have 5-6 phones and I need closed.

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #251 of 883
I mean closed headphones are hard to get perfect. I'd imagine it'd take so much extra cost to get the same sound quality that an open phone can achieve.

Take for example - to this day, to my ears - the open $500 Hififman Sundaras are slighter better than the $900 Audeze LCD2CBs. But Sundara's leak so much... so what can you do?

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #252 of 883
Wait. wait. wait. I think I misspoke or miscommunicated. I don't want to be irresponsible. They are not on the same level. The LCD2CB is better, but more like 5-10% better, which for those in this hobby is more than enough to pay an extra $500 to obtain :smile_phones:.

A $200 Massdrop - wow that'll be great to get. I got the normally retail available versions. Innerfidelity says the Neo is different than the Classics. Idk- my ears may be not as discerning or I got a good seal each time.

The biggest difference is the Meze's have this bass growth (I believe it's only in the low-end) that makes music have heft, musicality, and fun beyond the LCD2CB, but the LCD2CB is clearer, more transparent, and I'd suppose has a more neutral decay. But they both are musical and I think as the LCD2CB as the audiophile improvement on the Mezes. Idk it that helps.

Finally, the Meze 99s have versatility on their side. wdim?
  • The Meze can be used straight out of a phone/DAP-- the LCD2CB have to be be played at the highest volumes to begin to bloom
  • The Meze are sooo lighter - making walking around easier - Ik many have said the LCD's weight is evenly distributed on the head and they don't feel it on their ears... well, good 4 them. I feel it. I have to stop wearing after about 45 minutes. Take a break. The Mezes because of their ear cup size could sit on the ear so... they could get uncomfortable after a while, too.
In the end, the LCD2CB are better phones, but if your music is pop, rock, funk, folk-- genres like that... then buy the Meze 99, save the $$$, and have fun! But if you need a transparent, more neutral, all-around-er and are ok with a heavy phone then the LCD2CB.

I personally, think if your need classical* and other genres then get two phones.

* - I mean you want the super-wide soundstaging, the layering of the violin, the magical sounding harp, the wintery sound of the flute... everyday classical can be met by the 99s and the LCD2CBs. For example: I only truly enjoy classical through the Sennheiser 800S- there the operas sound like fights between the two sides, violence, clashing, it's emotional out of the 800S. I bet that those who don't care for classical have rarer heard it as a play or a drama enacted out by instruments from all across the stage. IDK. It was just eye-opening out of the 800S unlike any other phone.

Sorry, let me get back to the LCD2CB - great phone. If I needed audiophile grade and closed and was only buying one phone then I'd probably get it.. But I have 5-6 phones and I need closed.
Appreciate the further context. I noticed a lot of people had them at the last Head-fi meet so I’ll have to try them next time out.

Here is the Massdrop edition. I expect after the ship date in April we’ll see these listed for sale again.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-meze-99-noir-closed-back-headphones#overview

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #253 of 883
The Meze is a great headphone - it's what I use most days at work - but I wouldn't seriously compare it with the LCD2CB with or without any specific tech or settings.

To each his own, but using your own language you are implying the LCD2CB is a super-great headphone... "Meze is a great..." but not seriously comparable to "the LCD2CB..." Now, I think that's a stretch. :ksc75smile: But again, to each his own.

Maybe setup and synergy are want make them incomparable in your view. My setup is listed in my sig... maybe the LCD2CBs really come alive with other DACs and amps but (for me) the LCD2CB is just a good phone. The Meze is a good phone, too... less than the LCD2CB but comparable, and given the price variance, OMG-- there's something to consider.

Everyone has different ears so... I still think even the Sundara is better than the LCD2CB-- better microdynamics, speed. As a side, when you read audiophile reviews you can see/read the reviewers trying hard to justify the extra cost and value of the LCD2CD and the XC. Especially the XC. And yet, many here say the XC and the LCD2CB are close- with the XC being hotter. Anyway, Idk. To my ears...

Here is the Massdrop edition. I expect after the ship date in April we’ll see these listed for sale again.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-meze-99-noir-closed-back-headphones#overview

Wow. Looks reserved but nice. Thanks for passing along.

Jan 13, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #254 of 883
To each his own, but using your own language you are implying the LCD2CB is a super-great headphone... "Meze is a great..." but not seriously comparable to "the LCD2CB..." Now, I think that's a stretch. :ksc75smile: But again, to each his own.

Maybe setup and synergy are want make them incomparable in your view. My setup is listed in my sig... maybe the LCD2CBs really come alive with other DACs and amps but (for me) the LCD2CB is just a good phone. The Meze is a good phone, too... less than the LCD2CB but comparable, and given the price variance, OMG-- there's something to consider.

Everyone has different ears so... I still think even the Sundara is better than the LCD2CB-- better microdynamics, speed. As a side, when you read audiophile reviews you can see/read the reviewers trying hard to justify the extra cost and value of the LCD2CD and the XC. Especially the XC. And yet, many here say the XC and the LCD2CB are close- with the XC being hotter. Anyway, Idk. To my ears...

Wow. Looks reserved but nice. Thanks for passing along.

For a $299 set of cans, the Meze's are "great" and anyone interested can a) try them and b) read hundreds of reviews here and elsewhere to get a sense of what they sound like and where they might land on their own stack ranking. But we'll definitely agree to disagree in comparing them with the LCD2CBs (which is not the same thing as comparing them with XCs); I listen to them both regularly on a wide range of different rigs and would happily pony up the extra cash again because I do thing they are 3X "better" in their detail, balance and soundstage.

Jan 13, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #255 of 883
Wow. That's cool. I haven't found a phone that 3X better than just about any phone-- even if I put better in quotes. Glad you found your Nirvana.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back