Audeze LCD-2 Closed
Oct 31, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #166 of 883
Any Sine owners bought these yet? Would love to see a comparison between Sine and LCD2CB.

I have both, and while I haven't spent extensive time comparing them, the LCD2CB is on a complete other level when it comes to detail, dynamics and separation.

I will say however though that comparing these is a bit unfair since they serve different needs. The SINE is a fantastic mobile/on the go headphone. If you are traveling or want to listen to music at a coffee shop or your son's soccer practice, it is better than almost anything else in the same category. It will not scale very well with desktop equipment but will sound fantastic straight out of an iPhone with the Cypher cable. Very low maintenance.

The LCD2CB is a different beast and will compete with most HP in the $1K range and scale well with good amps and DACs (see the review form innerfidelity.com I posted last night). It is more of a neutral frequency response but does have the Audeze Planar body on the low end. I think it has a pretty good soundstage for a Closed Back. It is great for home listening where you need to block out noise but NOT a great mobile choice. It will not sound very good directly out of a iPhone and you will have to crank up the volume quite a bit on a DAP (on my Fiio X7 mk II, I use high gain at around 90% volume out of the balanced output, Chord Mojo powers it well but requires like 5 cords/adapters). It is also heavy, bulky, and a bit awkward for coffee shops and planes - I've definitely had to channel my inner Princess Leia while wearing it in public. :wink:

I like both and I think they compliment each other since they have different use cases. I bought the Sine with Cypher for around $200 which was a no brainer. I wouldn't be surprised if Audeze ran a special for both of these during their annual black Friday B-Stock sale since they've provided discounts for both in the past (SINE was around $200 on BF last year and LCD2CB was 20% off in late August via the Amazon Video promo).

Hope this helps.

Oct 31, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #167 of 883
Maybe one other way to put it: I plugged in my HD-600 and compared -- they seem slightly lower energy and slightly smoother at this point, but when plugging the LCD-2CB back in, I also hear a serious quality there that could be really, really worth it with some EQ or that alleged wear in effect. And as I said, for me this is not a choice between HD-600/MX4 and LCD-2CB. I need a closed back in my arsenal.

Just like you I'm in need of a close back headphone and already own an HD600. Did you mean the HD-600 are lower energy and smoother in comparison or vice versa? Do you think they would complement the 600's or do they have a similar sound signature? So many closed back options in this price range at the moment.

Nov 1, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #168 of 883
But I wonder about the statement that the closed version is warmer than the open version. Every single other review I have heard seems to suggest the open version has a warm signature and the few other reviews comparing the two say that the closed are more toward neutral. I have the closed ones and I love the sound... just wondering where that statement is coming from.

I have the 2CB here for a couple of days next to my 2C and concur the closed back is clearly warmer sounding. 2C a good bit more neutral and I'd say enough to make complementary pairs.

Nov 1, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #169 of 883
Hello, i've watched a few videos of people comparing them on youtube to the open variants and they all sound a bit vague and almost as if they're reading off the products catalogue.
from real owners here who have spent good money on these headphones and who havent been sent a pair free of charge for review on youtube. could you tell me your experience with them as a daily driver. i'm stuck in a place where ive got the choice of either the LCD2C(Classic) the LCD2C(Classic Closed) or a pair of LCD-X (new headband gen with no case.) i own a pair of beyerdynamic DT1990 Pros and was wondering if anyone else here has tired them against any of the pairs mentioned. but particularly against the closed version of the classics as this is a closed version thread. :)

Nov 1, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #170 of 883
I have both, and while I haven't spent extensive time comparing them, the LCD2CB is on a complete other level when it comes to detail, dynamics and separation.

I will say however though that comparing these is a bit unfair since they serve different needs. The SINE is a fantastic mobile/on the go headphone. If you are traveling or want to listen to music at a coffee shop or your son's soccer practice, it is better than almost anything else in the same category. It will not scale very well with desktop equipment but will sound fantastic straight out of an iPhone with the Cypher cable. Very low maintenance.

The LCD2CB is a different beast and will compete with most HP in the $1K range and scale well with good amps and DACs (see the review form innerfidelity.com I posted last night). It is more of a neutral frequency response but does have the Audeze Planar body on the low end. I think it has a pretty good soundstage for a Closed Back. It is great for home listening where you need to block out noise but NOT a great mobile choice. It will not sound very good directly out of a iPhone and you will have to crank up the volume quite a bit on a DAP (on my Fiio X7 mk II, I use high gain at around 90% volume out of the balanced output, Chord Mojo powers it well but requires like 5 cords/adapters). It is also heavy, bulky, and a bit awkward for coffee shops and planes - I've definitely had to channel my inner Princess Leia while wearing it in public. :wink:

I like both and I think they compliment each other since they have different use cases. I bought the Sine with Cypher for around $200 which was a no brainer. I wouldn't be surprised if Audeze ran a special for both of these during their annual black Friday B-Stock sale since they've provided discounts for both in the past (SINE was around $200 on BF last year and LCD2CB was 20% off in late August via the Amazon Video promo).

Hope this helps.

Yeah, that helps, thanks. I listen to my Sine at a desk with a Magni 3 and the DAC from my X3ii (doing so right now). I have Shure SE535 for exercise/mobile use. The Sine doesn't block enough sound and isn't meant for sweating, so I don't try to use on the go. If the LCD is a big upgrade then I might go for it. I don't mind that it's big and heavy and needs an amp, etc...

Also looking forward to seeing more reviews comparing this LCD closed vs. Open like the latest Poster requested. I can use either open or closed, noise isn't a problem at my desk. So I want the one that sounds best overall, blocking external sound not a factor.

Nov 1, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #171 of 883
Just like you I'm in need of a close back headphone and already own an HD600. Did you mean the HD-600 are lower energy and smoother in comparison or vice versa? Do you think they would complement the 600's or do they have a similar sound signature? So many closed back options in this price range at the moment.

After 20+ days of use I think that they are at about the same level of "energy" as the HD-600, maybe a tinge less. The best short description of the sound was posted right above by Ken G: "It is more of a neutral frequency response but does have the Audeze Planar body on the low end." The bass impact is very nice and brings a quality and depth to the sound that the HD-600 lacks. The HD-600 on the other hand does have that open feel (obviously), so there is that as a plus when switching to it, but everything else sounds superior on the 2CB.

To try to answer your other question: I think that they have a similar sound signature to a point, being on the neutral side. But the dimension brought by the planar technology adds so much more to the experience. I would choose the 2CB by a margin if I could have only one. As a suggestion, you could buy the 2CB and then if you find the sound signature too similar, you would probably sell the HD-600 as you are likely to find that the 2CB improve your listening experience. This unless the weight is an issue.

In my case the choice to buy them was made easier because I didn't need an open back. There was no point in trying the 2Classic when I am enjoying the MX4 so much. Seeing comments from much more knowledgable people like Moriez above (who says the 2CB is on the warm side and 2Classic more neutral) makes me think that people choosing between the two should first try them. See the YouTube review from Metal571 describing the 2Classic as warm... and there are many others like it. What to think unless one listens for him/herself?

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #173 of 883
After 20+ days of use I think that they are at about the same level of "energy" as the HD-600, maybe a tinge less. The best short description of the sound was posted right above by Ken G: "It is more of a neutral frequency response but does have the Audeze Planar body on the low end." The bass impact is very nice and brings a quality and depth to the sound that the HD-600 lacks. The HD-600 on the other hand does have that open feel (obviously), so there is that as a plus when switching to it, but everything else sounds superior on the 2CB.

Before trying to look at new CB planars, I was a Senn HD600/650 guy (didn't look into 800 or 800s because the HD650 sounded good on what I had already spent...so reluctant to spend more money on headphones). Then I needed CB for work, and thought I'd spend a bit more on planars. I haven't tried demoing the LCD2 CB and HD600s on a portable system (to see how their sensitivities are). But I have A/Bed them on my headphone setup. It was funny that before trying the Audeze's I thought the HD650s had deep bass impact. The Senns have nice imaging, but their sound stage isn't that large. The LCD2 CB seem to have diffuse imaging, but a pretty good soundstage. I think I still prefer listening to Senns with my home theater receiver because of the imaging. But for music, I'm preferring both Audeze and Mr Speakers. Mr Speakers is brighter, but still has some nice slam. The Audeze's have more extension in both the bass and high end compared to the Senns (I can hear more emphasis in the mids with the Senns). Drums sound more realistic and there is well controlled bass slam. I also had my Senns amped well to be able to handle faster transients....and that seems so effortless with planars.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #174 of 883
I've had mine for two weeks and two days. I was hoping these would be an upgrade to my Sony MDR-Z7, having good bass and warmth while adding the midrange detail of my Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro, plus more sound stage and other improvements. And I do believe I have succeeded. My initial impressions the first week don't matter. My brain needs time to get used to a new pair of headphones, and now I'm loving them.

There are still things to love about the others. The Sonys spread the bass out into a very smooth comfortable sound, plus they are very comfortable to wear, and less fatiguing in both respects. The LCD2-CB, OMG, very heavy, very very tight, and both brighter in the mids and more slamming in a tighter bass range. Warm in their own way, and very pleasing, with a better sound stage... but not as easy to wear or listen to for hours.

My Beyerdynamics may still be best for critical listening of some genres, but I can't imagine much crossover between Beyers buyers and most folks on this thread. @Tsukuyomi this may be as close as you'll get here to a comparison with any Beyerdynamic model. I could be wrong but it seems to me they are from a different universe. Feel free to ask specific questions in a post or via PM.

Overall I'm very happy with these Audezeses. For me they are an upgrade in listening pleasure, at least for the first hour. And I still haven't crossed the USD $1K point for a pair of headphones. Yet. It's only a matter of time, I suppose. :)

Nov 3, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #175 of 883
Hi I am planing on getting a new pair of CB headphones. I currently have the Audeze SINE and been using them for over two years now as my daily driver and like them very much. I was looking at getting something better like the LCD2-CB or the LCD-XC. I read all 12 pages and so far have gotten the sense from all the posts that everyone pretty much liked the LCD2-CB. When compared with the LCD-XC they are pretty much the same except that the LCD-XC has a bigger sound stage. The question is the bigger sound stage worth paying the extra cost of the LCD-XC ? I am trying to figure out which ones would be better for me without having to buy both of them. I know this is not an easy task without hearing them but I do not have any store in my area with either of them. I mainly listen to old school hip hop, pop, rock and some alternative music. I play allot of games on my PC also and would really like a headphone that has a excellent or good sound stage. I need a recommendation of whether either the LCD2-CB or LCD-XC would be a good choice for me or is there a better headphone out there suited for me ? Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated as I have very little experience when it comes to selecting headphones. Thanks

Nov 3, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #176 of 883
@CaptainFantastic - What are your thoughts on the 2CB and Grace m900 pairing?

I like the m900 with all of my headphones, including the 2CB. The reason for the purchase was to have something that I can use while away from home with work, so not portable as in while actually travelling but for hotel room use. But I found that I alternate between it and the Schiit stack at home.

How to describe the difference... at first for the 2CB I preferred the Schiit stack because the Loki allowed me to take the bass up just a bit and lower the treble just a bit. After 20+ days with the 2CB, I find that this is no longer needed and I enjoy the sound without the Loki except on the brightest of tracks. So I use the 2CB with the m900 just as much. The difference to my ears is that the sound on the m900 is more transparent, just really clean and probably can hear the instrument separation better. It also has the nice cross-feed feature which does sound better to me -- this is noticeable when switching it on and off. The build and entire design has a great feel too. If I had to keep just one DAC/Amp option, it would be the m900.

Nov 3, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #177 of 883
I like the m900 with all of my headphones, including the 2CB.

Good to hear! I really enjoyed the m9xx and would purchase the m900 without reservation. It's one of the better all-in-one solutions I've heard at a reasonable price. The iFi iDSD BL is enticing, but I don't need the full 'swiss army knife' solution. Though, the bass switch would be fun! And, I do like the sound of Burr Brown dacs. Hmmm.....

Just out of curiosity, what db are you pushing the LCD2CB's at with the m900? It'll give me a sense of headroom as these seem a bit more difficult to drive than the XC's. Certainly more difficult to drive than the TH-900 and X00's I formerly had.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #178 of 883
<snip>
at first for the 2CB I preferred the Schiit stack because the Loki allowed me to take the bass up just a bit and lower the treble just a bit. After 20+ days with the 2CB, I find that this is no longer needed and I enjoy the sound without the Loki except on the brightest of tracks.
<snip>

The first week, I was using my Loki to reduce the midrange a little. Now that I'm used to it I find that range stimulating and pleasant, so I didn't mention it in my previous post. The audio chain here is Win10 i7 → UpTone USB REGEN → Schiit Modi 2U → Schiit Loki Mini → Schiit Magni 2U. I seldom get the Magni volume past "9:00". Maybe 9:30. And that's with 24 dB attenuators inline.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #179 of 883
Just out of curiosity, what db are you pushing the LCD2CB's at with the m900? It'll give me a sense of headroom as these seem a bit more difficult to drive than the XC's. Certainly more difficult to drive than the TH-900 and X00's I formerly had.

Not sure how to measure the db level. Let me know if there is an easy way.

I can say that with the PC volume at 96 (according to some reasearch I did, the source out should be at near max if digital, then the volume should be adjusted on the amp -- would be happy to hear if this is right or not), the m900 volume is at 74 and it's probably my normal listening level. By 80 it gets quite loud. I would not go past 82, it gets overly loud. I understand that the volume increases much more on the m900 in the upper ranges, so a change from 50 to 60 is not the same as from 70 to 80 and against same for 80 to 90. This was by design to allow fine adjustments for IEMs at lower levels (which I don't even use).

If I lower the PC sound to 50, the listening levels are 87, 91 and 92.5 or 93 on the m900.

So for the 2CBs I really have more power than needed with the m900. This is in high power mode. Let me know if you'd like me to test the USB-only (low power) mode as well.

Nov 4, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #180 of 883
Big correction to make on my post directly above on the 2CB and m900 power level. The volume given above was for low power level mode via USB alone. In shutting down for the night I discovered that the m900 was not plugged in, so I had been operating in low power mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back