Audeze LCD-2 Closed
Aug 11, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #46 of 883
Are the vocals on the closed version similar in quality and presence as in the LCD 2 Classic?
Yes, but upper mid is a bit more present on the closed....which is a good thing IMO.

Aug 16, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #47 of 883
Any other impressions, specifically of the version with the correct damping? I ended up canceling my order since i had the Mobius on the way. But it's hard to resist a potentially good closed back planar...

Aug 25, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #50 of 883
Not much interest on these unfortunately. Probably because bad start. Anyone have them? I was planning to make my own 3d cup for LCD2C before closed version was announced and I will do that at some point to have closed back option. Now Im curious about one thing. I saw on some picture that beside damping there was something like resistor inside cup? Anyone knows anything about it? I always had feeling that similar idea like speaker crossover filter is also inside LFF Paradox. Anyone would like to share secret? Btw Audezes freq graph looks really good especially for closed back design. Now I got great tool for music production (LCD2C), but cant wait to use it closed also for recording vocal without sound leak and more "girlfriend next to me not annoyed" scenario.

UPDATE
Here is picture I mentioned: https://i.imgur.com/XCizh59.jpg Looks like 36Ohm+182kOhm resistor and polypropylene cap?

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #51 of 883
Does anyone have an update? Looking to change out my EL-8C for either this new LCD2 Closed or Aeon Flow Closed. Once this first batch is corrected, would love to read your impressions.

What needs to be correct exactly?

Just got the LCD-2 Closed yesterday. They are quite impressive. Only nit to pick is a lack of energy in the upper mid that robs rock and jazz of the 'kick' it should have. But overall nicely detailed and fairly well balanced.

I find these to have less of a upper mid kick of the Fostex TH900 but still great presence and detail in the mids. I do love the scooped upper lows though. I hate a upper bass bloated sound that bleeds into the mids. Personally my pair are awesome for metal and rock with a slight bass boost of around 6db at 50hz.

Aug 31, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #52 of 883
Have heard that Ori's bass is much better than LCD-2C even some planars cost over $1000s. According to your preference do you think LCD2 Closed are better in bass and overall sound signature is better than Oris?

Yes. Ori sounds more "closed" too. If you want zmf, take atticus

Aug 31, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #53 of 883
I have mine on sale, having hard time to sell it. Dont understand why as they sound better than average closed(and open too) hp.
Soundstage for example is way better than ori or aeon

Sep 5, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #54 of 883
Any additional impressions on these yet? Trying to decide between these and the Eikons. Don’t have any dynamic headphones, only planars. Really interested in something with good deep low end with a lot of authority and slam, and liquid mids. Prefer a darker sound signature that retains a lot of detail/microdetail. Something more musical rather than analytical.

Sep 9, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #55 of 883
Any additional impressions on these yet? Trying to decide between these and the Eikons. Don’t have any dynamic headphones, only planars. Really interested in something with good deep low end with a lot of authority and slam, and liquid mids. Prefer a darker sound signature that retains a lot of detail/microdetail. Something more musical rather than analytical.

I just bought a pair to compare with Aeon closed I recently got. I've had open phones, but have needed to get closed ones for work now. I'm finding that tonally, the LCD2 closed is like the Sennheiser HD650, but more extension in bass and treble (the HD650s seem to have a bit more emphasis in the mids). I also compared these with Beyerdynamic headphones: comparing those directly, you can hear more of a scoop out of mids with the Beyers (and maybe because of the planar technology, you also hear some more extension in both highs and lows with the LCD2s). These phones are easy to drive: I still hear impressive slam if I have them plugged into an iPhone. But they really open up when I've got them plugged into my tube amp that's getting sources from a Benchmark DAC. With the right tubes, it's a very enjoyable headphone for most genres, that does have sufficient detail to hear nuances. Without amplification, acoustic guitars and female vocals do sound a bit recessed (my understanding is that it's less so then compared to the LCD2c though).

If I compare directly with the Aeons, they're completely different presentations. Back when I was comparing dynamic headphones, I preferred Sennheiser compared to AKG (AKG 301s or 701s sounded too thin to me). As people say the Aeons are more neutral, I don't find the tonality to be thin (there is some bass extension with the Aeons, but overall tonality seems more compressed: especially compared to LCD2 closed). The Aeons have lower sensitivity, and I do find I have to raise the volume quite a bit more on my headphone amp compared to the LCDs. Comfort wise, the Aeons are much lighter and don't clamp as much. But the LCD2 closed is still very comfortable: the relatively newly designed headband is very comfortable and alleviates the feel of how heavy a headphone it is. I've read some reviewers say with the weight they couldn't wear it for more then an hour....but I've listened to them for extended periods (6 hours) with no problems. SQ of Aeon vs LCD2 closed: obviously the LCD2 is warmer (it's quite a difference if you just switch between while listening to the same song). There is more bass slam with the LCDs, and while vocals are very nice and present, they sound a bit more refined with the Aeons. The biggest difference to me is imaging: the Aeons are some of the best I've heard. It is if the music is in front of me with the Aeons, and the music is surrounding me with the LCD2 closed (and is a wider soundstage). A friend of mine, though, also listened to my LCDs and Aeons and said he thought the LCDs sound the most like a loudspeaker he's heard from a headphone. He does studio mixing, so he's now wanting to buy the Audeze LCD Xs (and has chanted what we all know...."It's a sickness" [buying new gear] ) :gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #56 of 883
Hello everyone, I am very hesitant about buying this LCD 2 Closed Back. Do you think I can go to these headphones to listen to classic rock, metal, grunge, blues / rock and more recent pop / rock music? I do not know the sound Audeze at all ... so your opinions will be very valuable to me. Thank you all. Eric.

Sep 10, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #58 of 883
Hello everyone, I am very hesitant about buying this LCD 2 Closed Back. Do you think I can go to these headphones to listen to classic rock, metal, grunge, blues / rock and more recent pop / rock music? I do not know the sound Audeze at all ... so your opinions will be very valuable to me. Thank you all. Eric.

It's going to depend on the sound signature you like and prefer. If you're not sure then hopefully this will make some sense to ya:

Personally I listen to metal and rock on my headphones. Personally I find the upper midrange to be the most volatile to metal and rock. If it's too laid back it's boring and veiled and if it's too much it's sibilant and harsh to my ears. Apparently I have a sensitivity around 4Khz that just shreds my ears with some cans, specifically the older Foxtex TH600 and TH900's. They had a 4Khz peak that I had to EQ out but otherwise they were perfect for metal and my tastes.

As for the LCD's I've personally loved their sound but always found their size and weight to be an issue. I've owned in the past the LCD 2, LCD X, LCD XC and like the XC the most due to their slamming and powerful sound. That said I find the LCD 2C Closed to be very similar and in fact better due to the more impactful sound. The LCD 2C Closed do have some of the 4Khz peak that I'm sensitive to but it's on the border. To be honest I'd rather be on the border of uncomfortable than be too far in the other direction when it comes to upper mids.

The LCD 2C Closed vs the Aeon Closed, I find the LCD 2C Closed to be better extended on the higher end and more impactful on the lower end. The Aeon Closed sounds very mid focused as a result and direct comparing. With some time tuning my ears to the Aeon I find the LCD 2C Closed can sound sibilant when I put them on after I'm used to the Aeon Closed but it quickly fades. Another note to mention on the Aeon Closed vs the LCD2C Closed is the Aeon is much more comfortable. They are light and they also have a better seal. I've always found Mr Speakers to have a very very dark blacked out isolation which is great sometimes but too much sometimes so it's hit or miss sometimes for me.

Personally I have the Stax 007's and the LCD2C Closed (had a few weeks) and I find they sound fairly similar with the Stax being better in every way. That said the LCD2C Closed is the perfect pairing with the 007's when I need isolation for a similar sound. This opinion might change since the LCD2C Closed are so new to my collection.

Hope it helps!

Sep 10, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #59 of 883
Thank you Jazik ... personally I'm not particularly sensitive to high frequencies ... so I do not fear them.
Currently I have a Beyerdynamic T5P 2nd gen but I do not know how to qualify it because I have no point of comparison with another headphones.
It is therefore difficult for me to imagine the sound of another headphones based on feedback.
I think I'll buy it and if I do not like it I should be able to sell it easily enough.
Would it be an abuse to ask you what is meant by "a dark sounding headphones" as it would seem that it is often referred to as this LCD 2 Closed Back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back