Audeze LCD-2 Closed
Sep 19, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #76 of 883
Does anybody have updated measurements and impressions after they got the damping issue sorted out? Very interested in these, I have Oppo PM-3's right now and am trying to decide if these are an upgrade worth $900.
Like @Maelob said the PM3's are classics and I would just hold on to them and just get the LCD-2 closed back's as an alternative headphone. I had the PM3's and hated letting them go. The upgrade bug bite me too at the time. Now I won't be able to purchase them again unless someone decides to let them go. With that said I have the LCD-2 closed backs en-route after selling of my LCD-XC's. The Audeze sound will be different enough to own both. The PM3's won't sound nearly as dynamic as the LCD-2 closed will. But I think you can enjoy both without sacrificing your PM3's

Sep 21, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #77 of 883
I don't remember the XC's sounding this good right out of the box. These cans are tuned beautifully.

IMG_0788.jpg

Sep 22, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #78 of 883
Compared to the Aeons these look, feel and sound more like a top of the line HP. I really enjoyed the Aeon's focused and detailed mids but I could not get past the lack of bass. I am not a bass head and I am not looking for a HP defined by bass. The Aeons could hit all of the notes it needed to hit, but I felt it lacked a strong foundation to support it's mids.

This is the only area I have a difference of opinion. I don't feel the Mr Speakers Aeon CB a lesser headphone: in fact I think they're a bit better value. Both the Aeons and LCD2 CB are top quality: they don't have plastic parts and are solid metal/carbon/pleather earpads attached with adhesive. The Aeons are $100 cheaper, have a nice box and a carrying case. I have mixed feelings about the difference in cables. What I like about the Aeons is the termination: I do like having a cable that terminates in smaller plug and then screw on 1/4" termination. The only problem with the Aeon cable is that it's substantial so it conveys micro-phonics. The LCD2 CB has a cool cable of being braided...but it also makes it seem flimsier. With the cable being less substantial, it's also odd then, that it terminates to 1/4" and then has a standard long 1/4 to mini adapter.

SQ should be the deciding factors between these two. They're both great headphones. I do think the LCD2 CB would be greater as a general headphone: it's much easier to drive and I find still sounds good even listening directly on an iPhone. With its greater bass extension, it is better with produced electronic or symphonic music. But for some acoustic genres, I find the Aeons to have a nice presence that's more laid back with the LCDs (not to say they're totally missing, but are more liquid). So yes, if you're looking for one general headphone it's a quandary. Probably for most instances, the LCD2 CB is the best headphone for all genres (I do think overall frequencies are great: extension throughout and liquid mids that are still present). When I listen to the Aeons as an individual headphone, I do find it has bass and is not thin: but it is compressed. I've actually found it does bring out limitations with source recording a lot more. But it has some really great imaging and presence. I've decided I'm keeping both headphones!

Sep 23, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #79 of 883
Just got mine a couple days ago. I'm very impressed. They sound as big as they feel. :) Everything just sounds immense and impactful. My only minor complaint is that they are just a touch hotter in the upper mids than I would prefer, but this may have to do with the fact that I'm so used to PM3's which are very laid back. Overall loving them though! Sound fantastic with classical and instrumental music.

Sep 25, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #81 of 883
anyone find these mellow out in the upper region after some time ?
Noticeably, (though not excessive) hotter/more attack than the mellow/darker open ones.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #82 of 883
Noticeably, (though not excessive) hotter/more attack than the mellow/darker open ones.
It says that they were burned in at the factory on the warranty card, so even if mechanical burn-in existed, it's doubtful they'd change too much imho. It'd be great if they were a touch less hot though.

Sep 25, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #83 of 883
I doubt they are going to change much if at all. I had the LCD-XC's before I purchased these and the treble remained pretty constant. Audeze's closed headphones are tuned different than the open models and for good reason. To me, the treble on LCD-2 closed back's goes a long way to balance out the lower and mid regions. Without that sparkle in the treble these headphones would be to dark and not that enjoyable to my ears. Right now LCD-2 closed back's offer a fairly balanced sound, YMMV.

Sep 25, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #84 of 883
Anyone else have the metal headband putting pressure on their head through the suspension strap? It seems like they put the strap about half a centimeter too close to the metal headband. Creates quite a painful spot on the head after about 45mins. Not sure why they couldn't have put just a little more space between the two.

Sep 26, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #85 of 883
..actually trying them out with more watts headroom, they are more balanced now with that added dynamic edge/attack compared to the mellower open variant...was running them off too low a source,so it was affecting the SQ.

Sep 27, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #87 of 883
Anyone here have buyer's remorse? :L3000:

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #88 of 883
Sep 27, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #89 of 883
Absolutely not, these headphones are fantastic sounding.

I know there are a few that didn't like it, was the revised version ever re-reviewed by the OP? I didn't see it.

Sep 27, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #90 of 883
I know there are a few that didn't like it, was the revised version ever re-reviewed by the OP? I didn't see it.
That I'm not sure about. But it would be interesting to hear from the folks that don't like the LCD-2 closed back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back