Audeze LCD-1
Dec 27, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #826 of 1,085
So I got myself a pair, sometimes it’s nice to change from CIEMs and since I sold the SR-1 I was headphoneless... and I must say those are so very comfortable and I like them a lot, they provide a lot for the money they cost! They have a linear response and balanced but are also highly engaging which I didn’t expect they would be but I had a short audition at a show (and back then didn’t have the E01 class A amp card for the N6ii).

Dec 31, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #827 of 1,085
Will the 3.5mm output of the Hiby R5 drive these phones sufficiently? I'm wanting to buy this combo soon and hope there wont be any issues with the phones being underdriven from that source, as these are planars after all

Jan 6, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #830 of 1,085
Hi @FullBright1,

Hope this finds you well.

Finally got to demo the LCD 1 a few days ago, interesting sound signature though definitely not for monitoring, I can hear why most kept harping on the bass & highs as those frequencies are very much emphasised & forward souding but at least no crispiness, so the mid range does get a bit lost which is a shame unless the vocals are stronger on the recording than other said frequencies.
So a win for the mids overall as you said before.
Subjectively & personally, definitely wouldn't call this a reference headphone by any stretch & I definitely have other headphones which are closer to a 'reference sound signature' ironically both cheaper & more expensive...which is sadly not surprising...
I am definitely in NO HURRY to purchase this any time soon as got more important non audio related expenses, eg, living, paying utilities, pc upgrade, etc but it is worth considering one day just to add to the collection in any case, in my book, just wouldn't be a good choice for what it's meant to be used for which is a definite shame.

Hope you have a great day !

PDL

Jan 6, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #833 of 1,085
Jan 7, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #834 of 1,085
Will this function as a portable headphone? Any leakage?

Unfortunately yes, they leak like a sieve. However, the portable part is spot on. Once folded and encased, they are a small enough, and strong enough, package to go anywhere with you easily. So, for me, I have my IEM's for traveling, and now the LCD-1's to listen to once I arrive at my destination. And don't discount the comfort level of the LCD-1's as well.

Jan 8, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #835 of 1,085
Hi @FullBright1,

Finally got to demo the LCD 1 a few days ago, interesting sound signature though definitely not for monitoring, I can hear why most kept harping on the bass & highs as those frequencies are very much emphasised & forward souding but at least no crispiness, so the mid range does get a bit lost which is a shame unless the vocals are stronger on the recording than other said frequencies.
Subjectively & personally, definitely wouldn't call this a reference headphone by any stretch & I definitely have other headphones which are closer to a 'reference sound signature' ironically both cheaper & more expensive...which is sadly not surprising...
I am definitely in NO HURRY to purchase this any time soon as got more important non audio related expenses, eg, living, paying utilities, pc upgrade, etc but it is worth considering one day just to add to the collection in any case, in my book, just wouldn't be a good choice for what it's meant to be used for which is a definite shame.

PDL

Hi Pagan
I took a look at your impressive list of headphones....whew... which of these do you consider more linear that the LCD 1?

Jan 9, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #836 of 1,085
Hi Pagan
I took a look at your impressive list of headphones....whew... which of these do you consider more linear that the LCD 1?

Hi @Kheadfi,

Honestly, not sure my list is that impressive but I appreciate the compliments.

Subjectively & personally, linearity in audio or sound overall is highly controversial as well asdeeply subjective & personal so what I may see as linear may not to be others...
So saying in terms of straight linear BEFORE sound quality is subjective & personal, are as follows :

Neuman NDH 20
Ollo Audio S4R
Acoustic Research AR 1
iBasso SR 1
Fostex TH 610
Audio Technica MSR 9
Oppo PM 3
Shure SRH 940

For overall SQ closer to my own listening preferences, this list will be slighty different & actually some on the above will actually drop off...

Hope this is useful.

Jan 9, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #837 of 1,085
Hi @FullBright1,

PDL

Your Neumann's are much better.
I read yesterday that Innerfidelity named the LCD1's their "headphone of the year". And i can't agree.
They also listed a much better sounding headphone the "Clear", as in that list of best..
Its better.
Im sure that Audeze is paying attention to all the comments and will cut loose a LCD1 upgrade that will be a super Gear.

Jan 9, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #838 of 1,085
...Finally got to demo the LCD 1 a few days ago, interesting sound signature though definitely not for monitoring, I can hear why most kept harping on the bass & highs as those frequencies are very much emphasised & forward souding but at least no crispiness, so the mid range does get a bit lost which is a shame unless the vocals are stronger on the recording than other said frequencies.
This surprises me, since the FR of the LCD-1 posted earlier in this thread shows attenuated top & bottom octaves, which relatively emphasizes the midrange, and is the opposite of your observation.

Jan 9, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #839 of 1,085
This surprises me, since the FR of the LCD-1 posted earlier in this thread shows attenuated top & bottom octaves, which relatively emphasizes the midrange, and is the opposite of your observation.

@MRC001,

Honestly, I just go by what I hear nor do I care or give a stuff about graphs or what they say though I can read them...
I actually own more mid centric headphones than most which I also prefer over most.
Given I have a sensitivity to the Highs as wells along with a preference for pro audio bass over consumer bass, it's definitely not even prosumer bass either.
So in closing, not sure where you hearing attenuation if the Highs & Lows feel as well as sound more forward to my ears though I did quantify in my previous post with strong vocals, the midrange does punch through more but not by much...
I never said I didn't like LCD 1 either, it's just not on my short list as there are a few more important things I have to budget for, especially given once the exchange rate is factored in, in local currency from a local dealer, it's works out to $649, I can get another NDH 20 New for 20 bucks less from a different dealer & I still pick the NDH 20 if I was crazy enough to have 2 of those...

Your Neumann's are much better.
I read yesterday that Innerfidelity named the LCD1's their "headphone of the year". And i can't agree.
They also listed a much better sounding headphone the "Clear", as in that list of best..
Its better.
Im sure that Audeze is paying attention to all the comments and will cut loose a LCD1 upgrade that will be a super Gear.

@FullBright1,

I agree with you wholeheartedly on the Neumann's being much better ! :)
I saw the IF article last week myself & it did make me laugh on that choice about & it is interesting how much we both disagree on that opinion...
Hopefully one day, I will get to demo the Cleer you so highly approve of too...if I can find one to demo that is...
As a final note, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a LCD 1 revision or upgrade either, perhaps maybe one which is closed would be good...just have to wait & see.

[merged]

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 10, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #840 of 1,085
Looking at these headphones purely from a "enjoyable to listen to" point of view and given the $400 price point, how would you say they rate? I understand, based on responses from several of you, that they are not as much studio monitors in sound as you would expect.

I will be auditioning the LCD-1s and some others later today at Moon Audio and the 1s are high on my list given the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back