Audeze LCD-1
Nov 12, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #721 of 1,085
Quick impressions after about 30 mins listening.

Airdpods pro sounds better than this even though I definitely prefer headphones to iems.
After I switch from lcd-1 to Airpods pro, songs sound more lively. I am starting to think that there is sizable roll-off somewhere in upper-mids/treble.

Nov 12, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #723 of 1,085

Airdpods pro sounds better than this even though I definitely prefer headphones to iems.
After I switch from lcd-1 to Airpods pro, songs sound more lively. I am starting to think that there is sizable roll-off somewhere in upper-mids/treble.

That is an interesting observation (and I thought you were @SparkOnShore) but AirPods really don’t sound that bad. I found the first-generation model to be comparable to my ATH-AD700.

Apple has been targeting extremely low levels of distortion and a mid-focused sound. Having not heard either I can’t share my opinion but even if AirPods Pro has a lively frequency response I’m sure there are plenty of characteristic where LCD-1 excels as well.

Nov 12, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #724 of 1,085
Are You guys practicing on Monty Python skit?
He is.
Arguing for the sake of arguing, is not really proving your point, Beagle.

So, just as you stated that there is no such thing as a "V" shape, sonic Sig, you are also apparently unfamiliar with a "U" shape, as your description has indicated.
Lets then, inform you for the sake of future reference.
First, when describing a "V" shape, this does not mean that the mids are missing, it simply means that in the context of an overall freq balance, they are reduced. This manifests in many ways... including , "laid back mids", "recessed mids", ect.
Often this type of sound is reviewed as having more bass and treble, but the reality is, the mids are less balanced regarding the bass and treble,...

Now, to understand the essence of a "U" shape, is not to comprehend that the mids are there and the bass and treble are missing. But rather, the mids are the widest part of the sound, yet, not necessarily forward.
Audiophile headphones should have more of a "U" shape, then a "V", because Audiophile sound is foremost about the midrange.

Many audiophile headphones try to impress with treble, and many reviewers who are not really capable of reviewing on a professional level, will get all hot and excited about "treble response"....."treble detail"... But, that is not where audiophile sound is located. Audiophile sound is in the MIDRANGE, and if the mids are stellar, then you dont need to try to "fake audiophile" sound by blowing up the treble to give the impression that you are getting great detail.
If the midrange is great, then all the detail you can ever want, all the clarity you can ever hope to hear, is RIGHT THERE.
upload_2019-11-12_18-30-48.jpeg

Nov 12, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #725 of 1,085
You are all wrong with your opinions

these are the best sounding headphones with the best soundstage! Period

Maxell HP-100 Headphones, Black

You laugh, but you would be surprised at just how much these headphones scale up with TOTL gear...

20191112_165135.jpg

...you would be surprised because they still sound absolutely screw*** terrible.

Nov 12, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #727 of 1,085
Better a veil than a shrill ice pick in the ear.

Either extreme is bad. Still waiting on reviews between this and the Sundaras.

Nov 12, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #728 of 1,085
You laugh, but you would be surprised at just how much these headphones scale up with TOTL gear...

...you would be surprised because they still sound absolutely screw*** terrible.

I'd put the amp on top...gets hotter than the DAC-3 (which really doesn't warm up at all).

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #729 of 1,085
Just my two cents here, not directed at anybody in particular, but i don’t think it is very helpful for people to dissect, criticize and second guess other member’s impressions. Yes we are entitled to our opinion and we can disagree but to question impressions from people that are trying to help other members is just not cool in my book. Yes clarifications and additional questions are cool but common people just take the info and use it to make an informed decision. Remember the more we encourage impressions the better. Sorry for the rant but I’ve notified this on multiple threads and I don’t find it helpful. Thanks

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #730 of 1,085
but radically changing what is meant by an established term is just counterproductive and confusing.

What you are explaining is that you prefer to have the standard "geek speak" presented to you, regarding how headphone sound is commonly described in every single review, here, and online, and in all magazines.
Well, i dont willingly speak that, and if this confuses you, then, i guess you'll be confused, as will everyone who needs to hear the same nomenclature used to describe sound.
Other people here write me and tell me, "can't wait for your review", and that is because im not going to sound like everyone else when i describe anything that is related to sound.
So, if 5 people here agree with you and need to hear the same words and need to hear every headphone offering the same sound as every other, then that is fine for this type of person.
Im not that person.
So, dont expect it and dont ask me to do it.
I can write the marketing hype type of headphone review that most here present. I know the language that you need and expect, but, as you are getting if from 90%, then just be happy about this... and do not judge me for not being
the SAME.
I dont do "same". I do ME. IF you don't like it, or if it confuses you, as you have stated, then read what does not confuse you, pthora...
No offense intended. But people who "get me" appreciate the unique. People who dont need "sameness" 2 feel connected.
Both types are valid, as ti take us all to make the world go round.....:)

Good to hear :grin:

But I am curious as to why are you constantly in conflict (talking down actually) with others who have tastes, opinions or definitions that don't match your own? If you have your own definition of "what's what", who is to deny that to others as well?

If i post and disagree with someone's review of anything, then this isn't me trying to be superior or condescending. its really just the power of my personality, i suppose, that sounds the way it sounds as you read what im saying.
I think that there are very few females here, because this (headphone obsession) is a male dominated world, and this site mirrors that., perfectly. None of the mods are female, and 99% of the members are males.
So, im not any of that, and so, im going to stand out. This can't be changed. It is what it is.
This suggests that listening to a female with strong opinions developed by 20 yrs of experience with recording and making music and working in the field of sound, is not something that the males here are use to having in their ears.
That 20 yrs is my professional life., while ive been a musician all my life. Im not just a listener, or a Pro Sound person, im a professional player.
Not too many of those here, and im certain im the only "girl"....:)
So, i can't stop being myself, even if someone or some feel that im over the top, or controversial, or rude.
Im none of this. Im just a professional in this area, described as "The field of SOUND ".

Some people here are well developed Audiophiles, with keen sensibility developed over years of buying and trying and learning how to listen and discern, and they have first rate descriptive skills and are all highly opinionated.
I'M THE SAME.

I use to be able to have wonderful private conversations here in my PM box, until someone attacked me online 2YRS ago, on the original "Aeon Closed" Thread, when i was being prohibited from using the forum because i posted some videos on "non music" Threads, taken from my Youtube Channel.
So, i heatedly responded to this person in their PM box, as i could not speak to them on the Thread, and they reported me, and AxelClorus locked my PM box, and has refused to allow me to use it for 2 yrs now.
He tells me that because i get reported on the forum on occasion, this precludes me from have a PM box.
Maybe if i was a BOY, he would relent?....Hard to understand why i can't have a PM box for 2 yrs.....
Had i one, then i could enjoy private conversations as i did before with many members here before, but, NOPE...... :)
So, anyway, enjoy reading this, as some member will report it, and it'll be removed soon.
Then Axel will again tell me. "see" you got reported, so, NO PM BOX FOR YOU.
Crazy isn't it?
Welcome to my life here on Head_Fi.org
Thans for your opinion, as i appreciate it, actually..

Its not that the LCD-1 are veiled, but there is a overall sonic softness, a roundness, that is reducing their articulation and attack.
I described it as a "friendly sound". and "analog"
Its not a bad sound, but, its not a sound that is going to sharpen details.
In some ways its almost like an "Anti-Planar" sound, as we expect a set of Planar's to grab and present more details, and not gently soften the edges instead.

Nice Skull.

Just my two cents here, not directed at anybody in particular, but i don’t think it is very helpful for people to dissect, criticize and second guess other member’s impressions. Yes we are entitled to our opinion and we can disagree but to question impressions from people that are trying to help other members is just not cool in my book.

Well it kinda depends.
For example, lets say that people on the HeadFi are all waiting for a review of some recently released gear, like the New Aeon Open.
And so, we are all wanting to hear a valid point of view, so that we can begin to draw some conclusions.
And then, here comes "let me be first", and he is reviewing them while sitting on a Subway, traveling to Paris, and says....>"well, as far as i can tell, they sound pretty good, treble could be better, bass seems lacking in slam".
So, is this valid?
This person is listening to open headphones, riding in a Subway that is 110 Decibels of noise, needing to be the first reviewer, as that is all that matters to them.
And then, i say....."cmon, get in a quite room, take some time, then post".
And you say that if anyone says this to them, they "have no right to criticize"...
So, you can i can't agree.
But thats not a problem, as if we all agree then what is the POINT ????
Its within the disagreement that we eventually define what is the center of reality.

[merged]

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 13, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #731 of 1,085
Well it kinda depends.
For example, lets say that people on the HeadFi are all waiting for a review of some recently released gear, like the New Aeon Open.
And so, we are all wanting to hear a valid point of view, so that we can begin to draw some conclusions.
And then, here comes "let me be first", and he is reviewing them while sitting on a Subway, traveling to Paris, and says....>"well, as far as i can tell, they sound pretty good, treble could be better, bass seems lacking in slam".
So, is this valid?
This person is listening to open headphones, riding in a Subway that is 110 Decibels of noise, needing to be the first reviewer, as that is all that matters to them.
And then, i say....."cmon, get in a quite room, take some time, then post".
And you say that if anyone says this to them, they "have no right to criticize"...
So, you can i can't agree.
But thats not a problem, as if we all agree then what is the POINT ????
Its within the disagreement that we eventually define what is the center of reality.
I hear you , disagreements and different opinions are ok. I meant that some people are just plain annoying or impolite - but I guess that’s life.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #732 of 1,085
For $399, these are an awesome buy. As far as tonal balance goes, you could do worse from $400 to $2000.

Nov 13, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #733 of 1,085
For $399, these are an awesome buy. As far as tonal balance goes, you could do worse from $400 to $2000.
The specs posted earlier, if accurate, show good all-around performance for any headphone, especially at $400. The LCD-1 sound may not suit all listeners, but objectively, it looks like a respectable headphone. I'm tempted to get one and audition to see if it can replace my old HD600. No hurry, I'll wait for Jude to follow up with another set of measurements.

Nov 15, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #734 of 1,085
The specs posted earlier, if accurate, show good all-around performance for any headphone, especially at $400. The LCD-1 sound may not suit all listeners, but objectively, it looks like a respectable headphone. I'm tempted to get one and audition to see if it can replace my old HD600. No hurry, I'll wait for Jude to follow up with another set of measurements.

If you buy it, you'll discover that it is one of those headphones that doesn't crush you with amazement, right out of the box.
In my opinion Audeze was trying to create, not an all-arounder that is going to please everyone, but instead they bullseye'd a Niche Market with this tool. Its the market that contains people who make music at home, or in a studio.
Neumann captivated this same Market recently, and Audeze has now created their idea of competition.

A true Audeze audiophile headphone, one that is designed for this purpose ONLY, is found as their larger Audeze Headphone Products. This is why they are larger.
This is a small set of headphones. Its a compact plastic headphone(s), with Planars in it, and it can work efficiently as an Audiophile gear, but it sprints out of the gate regarding its best purpose, which is as a studio monitors, gear.
So, its being asked to provide a lot of services.... An Audiophile pleaser, a comfortable compact device, and a legit studio gear.
That is a lot to ask from of a Plastic, small, $399 set of Headphones.

Audeze realizes that not everyone is going to pay a premium price for their Top Class, and so, they also created this headphone for people who want to own an Audeze Signature, and not pay a whole lot of money.
And consider that if a person is not going to spend $800 - $2800 for headphones and lives instead in the world of nice sounding lower priced gear, then they will be very happy with the LCD-1s, probably.
But for others who buy the best, want the best, demand the best, and then expect a small set of Plastic Planar's to perform a miracle of sound, then you are going to need to rethink your demands, and allow a $399 Planer set to be as good as they can be, considering the gear.
The LCD1 is a solid product. It has its own good voice. Its an enjoyable listen, its a real studio monitor for the ears.... and for me, it works best if i use it without comparing it.
Just like the Neumann NDH20 is a studio gear that can also be used as an Audiophile gear, the LCD1 is the same.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back