Audeze LCD-1
Nov 9, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #691 of 1,085
This seemed not that "LCDy", only speaking of the design.

Nov 10, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #692 of 1,085
Hmmm... After some time with the LCD-1, I realize I absolutely NEED a closed-back, wireless, ANC version of this as well. Like right now! Or at least something comparable. Any suggestions?

Nov 10, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #695 of 1,085
Currently eyeing these and the Hifiman Sundaras. Trying to get a new headphone to replace my Veilheiser 650's. I see many requests comparisons between the Sundaras and the LCD-1, but no answers.

Anyone have a comparison between the two, which one to get etc?

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #697 of 1,085
:laughing: Head-fiers definitely have a way with words!
:grin: they aren't necessarily bad if you want to listen to relaxing music, but it sucks all the life out of the stuff I listen to. My setup is considered like the "default entry-level HiFi setup for noobs", which is why I have them. On the bright side, at least I have a reference point with the 6XX's I guess.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #698 of 1,085
Received the Audeze LCD-1s.

Here is a short review.
This is right out of the box, = ZERO burn in.

Grabbed some of my usual reference music and began to listen...

Kandace Springs
Corinne Bailey Ray
Sarah Jarosz
Steely Dan
ELO
Keith Urban
Mika
Azam Ali
Keane
Ed Wynne

Will talk about their sound, as i hear it, in a minute.

The Box is generic, but decently executed.
Cable is soft, not particularly microphonic, has adequate length, quality seems good.
Accessories are rudimentary.

Examining the LCD-1s for build quality, is a bit biased, as ive been most recently listening to the Next Cleer's whose build quality punches above their $699.99 price point. So, comparing the LCD-1s to the Next, or to any of my usual "go to's", my impression is that the LCD-1s cost is not reflected in their plastic body. So, it's hopefully related to the cost of their design and the actual Planar's themselves.

Lets see......

Comfort... Pad are big enough, most ears are not going to feel stuffed inside them. Pad are comfortable, clamping pressure is more then neutral but not quite tight regarding first strap on.
Headband is very comfy where it sits, and overall the feeling is that the headphones are light.

Sound:

They sound nothing like the SINE's or the LCD-X's. The sound is comparable to a limb off the same sonic tree as grew the Hifiman HEV2.

I find the tonality of the LCD1's to be slightly warm vs crisp. Its an overall sound that is not aggressive, and is not especially forward regarding any frequency. It's certainly not a "V" shape. It's closer to a "U". Soundstage, is what i would describe as a medium soundstage. The sound is slightly more forward and up front then wide and all around. I understand now what Audeze's idea of "Reference" is regarding this gear. They have designed its sound, (disregard charts and graphs), to attempt to be flat. Their nomenclature would be "natural".
They also described the LCD-1's sound as "clinical", but i would say its nearly the opposite of clinical, because this headphone is not trying to mine all the details.
In some ways this headphone's sound is like a baby Newmann NDH-20....
When i first began to shuffle the tunes, i was trying to understand what Audeze has created inside the LCD1's treble and bass, because, what i hear, is is not what i would describe as extension on both ends.
The midrange. The midrange is not a microscope, or a "V", nor is the treble response jammed completely full of micro detail or air. Its not really a hyper articulate midrange. Once again, this is a headphone that is designed to produce a balanced and flat tonality by not reaching out with a lot of "hyped" frequency extension.

If im comparing the bass and the bass extension to the LCD-X, or HiFiMAN HEv2, or Next Cleer, or basically any good set of headphones that i own, then the LCD1 is a bit behind the pack, by design, which is not a bad thing, its just their thing. It's actually the point of this set of headphones.. All frequencies are balanced, nothing is forward, from top to bottom. And once again, this is how a reference sound is defined.... especially if the idea is to use this sound in the studio. The idea is, you start with a flat line and EQ till satisfied. This Audeze gear, in my opinion, is especially fruitful for those who love to EQ their headphones. Nothing about the headphone's sound is offensive, because all the frequency edges are within the realm of natural. There is nothing tinny or thin regarding the midrange and there is nothing about the bass that exclaims power or endless definition.
Long listening fatigue free sessions will be no problem with this headphone, tho the clamping pressure does become more noticeable after an hour. Also, because the sound is tuned toward a flat sonic signature, this is not a headphone that i would use if im in the mood to try to see inside the music. Audeze has not stated that when using this headphone, you will hear things in your music that you've never heard before., and i'd agree.

Who will love this headphone? : anyone who is looking for a reasonably priced set of ear monitors for the studio.
Who will find this headphone puzzling? Any Audiophile who is expecting it to sound like a detail seeking missile. It is not.

11/12 update. Its now the next day, and ive spent a lot of time listening to the LCD-1s. Im perceiving a slight depth of soundstabe increase regarding their musical presentation, and i can confirm that they offer very little fatigue and play nicely with all genres` of Music that i use. I can't comment on how they deal with Rap or HIp Hop as i don't listen to these styles.

Comfort : 8
Build Quality : 6.9
Design : 8.5
Sound Quality : 7
Bass: 7
Midrange: 8
Treble : 7
Universal Customer Satisfaction Guarantee : 6.9
-
-
DSCF3193.JPG

-
DSCF3194.JPG

-
DSCF3195.JPG

-
DSCF3196.JPG

-
DSCF3197.JPG

-

Attachments

• DSCF3192.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCF3192.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #699 of 1,085
I know most will not like what I’m about to say but I feel I found my pair of Audeze I like after trying most of the Audeze pairs that have come out except those that have come out after the LCD-4’s. I have found that I really like the LCD-GX and I have heard from several others that they are comparable to the MX4’s. I don’t know cause I have not tried them or the 4z’s

If anyone that has had or have a pair of GX’s. How would they compare. Also yes I use the GX for gaming and listening sessions and I really like the soundstage of mine. They counteract with my tinnitus and actually I use them for sound therapy to help with that as well.

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #700 of 1,085
certainly not a "V" shape. It's closer to a "U".

So it's all extreme top and bottom and no midrange? I don't hear that in mine. Sounds fairly linear to me.

Nov 11, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #701 of 1,085
They also described the LCD-1's sound as "clinical", but i would say its nearly the opposite of clinical, because this headphone is not trying to mine all the details.
Thanks for your impressions.

When you first mentioned 'clinical', I thought you misread. But then I saw it mentioned multiple times by others too, and to my surprise we did use the word 'clinical transparency' in our web description. This a case of words lost in translation when it traveled from Engineering to Marketing to IT team. The description the engineering sent was 'clear and transparent,' it became 'clean and transparent' which finally was translated to 'clinical transparency'! I have since requested it to be corrected on the web page. LCD-1 is definitely not clinical, at least not in the way we audiophiles use the word. Though our IT team felt 'clinical' means very clean in the literal sense of the word.

Clear, neutral and flat is how I would describe the sound.

When it comes detail retrieval, it is influenced by three factors (setting aside the the source chain and source material).
  1. The frequency response -- certain frequencies can be accentuated to give the perception of being a detail monster. However we feel this is not natural. It is almost like putting one's ear next to the instrument.
  2. Speed of the transducer/resolution -- this is the ability of the diaphragm to accelerate and decelerate quickly following the music signal closely and thus resolve details as present in the recording. The diaphragm used in LCD1- is as nimble as those found in all our LCD series with the exception of the the 4 series.
  3. Clarity -- If there is too much diffraction or reflection sound before it reaches the ear, detail can still get buried. With careful choice of the ear pads and through the design of the driver including the use of Fazor elements, we minimized diffraction and reflections as much as possible

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #703 of 1,085
So it's all extreme top and bottom and no midrange? I don't hear that in mine. Sounds fairly linear to me.

Um, what?
You are describing exactly the opposite of what i said i hear.... :)
did you confuse my Review with another?

If you read more carefully, next time, you'll note i said that the LCD1s, are not overly extended regarding the bass and treble, and that the mids, and the overall sound Sig of this interesting set of headphones, is a "U" shape.
Audeze has created what they feel is a natural sound, which i hear as flat freq response, that they maintain is "reference".

Nov 12, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #705 of 1,085
Thanks for your impressions.

When you first mentioned 'clinical', I thought you misread. But then I saw it mentioned multiple times by others too, and to my surprise we did use the word 'clinical transparency' in our web description. This a case of words lost in translation when it traveled from Engineering to Marketing to IT team. The description the engineering sent was 'clear and transparent,' it became 'clean and transparent' which finally was translated to 'clinical transparency'! I have since requested it to be corrected on the web page. LCD-1 is definitely not clinical, at least not in the way we audiophiles use the word. Though our IT team felt 'clinical' means very clean in the literal sense of the word.

Clear, neutral and flat is how I would describe the sound.

Oh im happy to review them for you, as i appreciate Audeze products.

Neutral and flat is basically how i also described them, or as your LCD1 webpage denotes them as having a "natural" sound, and certainly they are anything but "clinical".

I find they offer a Planer sound that could be considered, in my opinion, as a very "analog" sound.
Perhaps spoiled Audiophiles would want them to offer more micro detail retrieval, but, this is that fine line that if crossed too far would not allow these headphones to be a relevant studio headphone monitor.
I feel that the sound they produce, leans more toward the professional recording studio need, vs the LCD1s, being just one more Audiophile headphone sound option.
Neumann released the best reference Headphones for studio mixing and mastering last year, and coming in a strong 2nd place, in my opinion, would be the LCD 1s, and for much less money.
They are a small compact headphone, and so, no matter the tech inside them, a larger Planar design is simply going to offer more of everything, all things being even.
So, for the recording Pro, or for the home studio Artist, these are going to be very popular, i would say..
And many Audiophiles will appreciate having a comfortable and also "new" Planar Color of sound to listen to, among all their others..
Real Audiophiles understand that there is no "perfect" headphone sound, and they, we, buy because we enjoy the sound of them all. ...... Audiophile buying, is all about having a lot of Sonic color options to enjoy, as per each piece of Gear we own.
Different, is Good.
The LCD1s have a unique sound, and many will really enjoy what they can sonically offer, .. especially those who are looking to supplement their Floor standing monitors with an '"honest sounding" set of affordable studio Headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back