Audeze LCD-1
Nov 1, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #437 of 1,085
Nov 1, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #438 of 1,085
I mean, oratory1990 already showed the measurements vs Harman, and so did I via a raw on Audeze's own industry standard HATS, so you can clearly see it's not like a beyerdynamic or something.
Heh yeah I was just joshing, the FR isn't exactly tuned for treble-heads so I wouldn't expect many people to find the LCD-1 harsh.

Nov 1, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #439 of 1,085
I was gonna say... no issues there at all. I tend not to have any problems in terms of comfort with headphones and my glasses, which have quite thin rims. But sometimes they can break seals.
I tried a spare pair of glasses with very thin rims and found that I can wear the LCD-1 longer without discomfort. My main glasses, though, have thicker rims and the stiffer leather pads press against them noticeably after a while.

Nov 1, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #440 of 1,085
This was my concern prior to ordering.
I felt that because the Audeze LCD-1 webpage chose to highlight a reviewers comments about the Treble, only, that this might be informing us that we are going to get a treble lovers Gear.
You are the first to mention that they produce, potentially, a harsh treble experience.
Sure, maybe you are listening to MP3, at low rez quality, or you are listening to badly recorded music, or perhaps the Audeze LCD1 has a bit of a treble spike into the world of SSSSSSSS.

Im not a fan of harsh treble, and Planar treble, if too harsh, is awful.

I'll know for myself soon enough.

Thanks for the post. :)
I hope you don't find the treble harsh. It wasn't like that all the time for me... just "sometimes." Overall I like them, but at this point I'm not sure I'll be keeping them.

Nov 1, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #441 of 1,085
I hope you don't find the treble harsh. It wasn't like that all the time for me... just "sometimes." Overall I like them, but at this point I'm not sure I'll be keeping them.
Despite what the measurements say I do find the top octave above 10k to be a bit forward depending on what you're listening to. But other than that yeah, not a bright headphone in the traditional sense. More on the airy side.

Nov 1, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #442 of 1,085
Despite what the measurements say I do find the top octave above 10k to be a bit forward depending on what you're listening to. But other than that yeah, not a bright headphone in the traditional sense. More on the airy side.
I agree with your assessment!

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #443 of 1,085
That sounds a bit like the LCD 2 and 3 Fazor. They sound on the warm side due to a dip around 4 kHz, which is about an octave wide on each side. Above 8k their response goes back closer to neutral again. So they sound warm, yet at the same time they have fast transients and some "air", even though they're not airy sounding. Without the 4k dip they'd have near flat/neutral response from bottom to top, which is what I'm hoping the LCD-1 does.

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #444 of 1,085
That's odd. LCD1 stage truly isn't very wide, but imaging is a very clear upgrade over the Senns, which as everybody already knows, is a 3 blob stage with misleading imaging if you're trying to pinpoint something in whatever a "video game" is these days.

Edit: :wink:

The mids especially don't measure up to the 6xx. I like the bass tightness but think the 6xx bass sounds better on many songs, esp "Glass Onion." The 6xx is better overall, and I bought for half the price. And I prefer the balance of sound on the $40 Blon 03, since the LCD1 mids and highs are a bit rough to my ears.

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #445 of 1,085
The mids especially don't measure up to the 6xx. I like the bass tightness but think the 6xx bass sounds better on many songs, esp "Glass Onion." The 6xx is better overall, and I bought for half the price. And I prefer the balance of sound on the $40 Blon 03, since the LCD1 mids and highs are a bit rough to my ears.

And, I never thought I'd find Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams" or the Aja album to be irritating. The power of just a Massdrop CTH improved things greatly over mobile devices, but still, "Kodachrome" should be completely pleasant.

I was also missing some of the glockenspiel on "Mr. Tillman" by FJM, compared to 6xx and little Blon 03.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #446 of 1,085
And here we go! Quick unboxing and my detailed first impressions live.
These are a formidable set of open planars, and as I suspected they do present more like an LCD-X than an LCD-2.
Deep Dive sound review coming soon-ish. Enjoy!

Nov 1, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #447 of 1,085
Audeze has already made a veritable miss-shot with the mx4. I hope that Audeze remains an exclusive manufacturer.
Does it need an affordable porsche?
No.
"Wir bauen Autos die keiner braucht aber jeder haben will". Dr. Ing. Ferdinand Porsche.
Audeze please listen to your heart and not on the numbers.

Nov 1, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #448 of 1,085

OK, this means I might like the mids on the LCD-1 then because I found the mids on the 650 to be too forward or, as some have described, too "shouty."

And I hope the LCD-1 has a lovelier lower-end than the 6XX's. I never thought the 6XX's bass was particularly noteworthy; when compared to planars, I found it to lack comparable texture, nuance and extension.

Although I found it fatiguing, the mid-range is the strongest area for the HD650, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #449 of 1,085
Me, too. I hope the treble isn't harsh or else I'm going to declare @metal571 the new Z Reviews .

haha.....:)

Z loves his high end.
I have not checked him out lately.
I suppose i should .

Well, no FDX Truck today., so i guess my LCD-1s will greet me next week.
Fortunately, ive the Next Cleer's to keep me company.
One Day shipping from Amazon. (Prime Member)

Nov 1, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #450 of 1,085
That sounds a bit like the LCD 2 and 3 Fazor. They sound on the warm side due to a dip around 4 kHz, which is about an octave wide on each side. Above 8k their response goes back closer to neutral again. So they sound warm, yet at the same time they have fast transients and some "air", even though they're not airy sounding. Without the 4k dip they'd have near flat/neutral response from bottom to top, which is what I'm hoping the LCD-1 does.
That is quite an accurate description of what the FR is. LCD1 sounds like an LCD2 with a 4k boost EQ running in the mids, and without the strange hump around 1k

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back