Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Jul 12, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #3,016 of 7,352
weird. Sure you have a decent seal? If you do, bass should be great no matter if you use stock or comply tips, especially with the cipher. My isines had tight, clean, punchy bass that seemed to extend endlessly, even with stock tips as long as I had a seal. With comply tips, I could literally feel my face vibrate and a tickle in my chest.

You either have no seal at all, or you got a faulty unit. 100% sure of this.

What core size is the correct one?

Jul 12, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #3,019 of 7,352
weird. Sure you have a decent seal? If you do, bass should be great no matter if you use stock or comply tips, especially with the cipher. My isines had tight, clean, punchy bass that seemed to extend endlessly, even with stock tips as long as I had a seal. With comply tips, I could literally feel my face vibrate and a tickle in my chest.

You either have no seal at all, or you got a faulty unit. 100% sure of this.

I agree with this. Make sure you're getting a good seal. I started with the small tips which is what I normally use with something like the shure se535. However, I had to use the large tips to get a good seal with the isine 20s.

Jul 12, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #3,020 of 7,352
What core size is the correct one?
600-series yes, the comfort's darken the sound the least. But if you get a decent seal with the stock tips but no bass at all, I'm pretty sure it's a faulty unit. Comply's enhance the bass, but the change is not that drastic.

Jul 12, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #3,021 of 7,352
I get a good seal, just wasn't sure what the bore size was in the event I wanted to try the Comply ISOs. Right now I am trying out a new cable I purchased and so far it has added some missing weight to the sound that the non Cipher cable seems to be missing compared to the Cipher. Obviously without the DSP that Audeze mixes into the Cipher cable it is not an identical sound, but much more meat on the bone now

Jul 12, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #3,022 of 7,352
Question. If AKG N40 is as good as iSine20 the why buy Isine for a higher price?

They are different, being in-ear and not on-ear, and not as good as the iSine20. However, for inears, the N40's sound really good for the price point and will give you a great sound if you have a good source.

Jul 12, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #3,023 of 7,352
I get a good seal, just wasn't sure what the bore size was in the event I wanted to try the Comply ISOs. Right now I am trying out a new cable I purchased and so far it has added some missing weight to the sound that the non Cipher cable seems to be missing compared to the Cipher. Obviously without the DSP that Audeze mixes into the Cipher cable it is not an identical sound, but much more meat on the bone now
Oh sorry, mistook you for the guy with the (probably) faulty unit.
Interesting that an analog cable can make that much of a difference. Have you tried analog cable + cipher eq?

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #3,024 of 7,352
while using the Cipher obviously the source is an Apple device, but with non cipher I connect to a DAP. I'm no electrical engineer, but the gauge wire, its composition and capacitance affect the signal path. Perhaps placebo, but I have been going back and forth playing the same tracks on the same player and I need to adjust the volume each change

Update - a few hours later and I stopped the cable switching and have settled down with the new cable and am pleased. If you want to hear if the bass is thumping...Try Alpe Lusia by Stimming, that should get you there.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #3,025 of 7,352
Guys, thanks a lot for your answers.

I somehow immediately picked the smaller groovy tips that seemed to provide the best fit.
Just tried to move the haedphones around while listening, and the bass response does seem to change quite a bit.
Will definitely try the other tips tonight when I am back home.

Jul 13, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #3,026 of 7,352
With normal items where the tips are supposed to be inserted into the ear canal, I use small tips. With the iSINE tips resting on the outside or at the most extremely shallow insertion, I use the large groovy tips or large comply 600.

Jul 13, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #3,027 of 7,352
Forgot to mention that for me, as a basshead and without EQ, I consider the iSINE 20 bass light. The bass is well extended but low for me. The second I EQ in the lower frequencies, it becomes satisfying for me. The total sound package for me is almost perfect for me and I consider it my own TOTL headphone of all the full-size and in ear I own and have heard.

Jul 13, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #3,028 of 7,352
Thanks Headfry. I'll give it a shot but have been enjoying Roon the last few days (14 day trial version). It's not cheap but it's a nice app, switches between devices/amps easily, plays DSD files through my Mojo and WA8 without making you jump through hoops and has great eq options, including the filters and settings from KMann.

The "out of head" filter is pretty wild but my 2017 Macbook (the small fanless model, not the Macbook Pro) has a hard time keep up when playing DSD tracks. I suppose the processing power is more than it can handle which is surprising to me.

Acia - Have you experimented with other cables? Or have others? I'm fine using eq for the standard cable but if there was an option that brightened them up a bit without EQ I would be interested.
My daily cans that I used most now is neither sine or ISine. Is kz zs5. The pure silver + copper cable can make factory, silver plated or gold plated cable all go to the bin. Definitely the case for sine and ISine and zs5. All other cables coming from manufacturers belongs to bin in terms of sound quality. Not talking fancy setup. Just Samsung or iphone.

Not a fan of eq for me.

Jul 13, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #3,029 of 7,352
They are different, being in-ear and not on-ear, and not as good as the iSine20. However, for inears, the N40's sound really good for the price point and will give you a great sound if you have a good source.
I hate to point out this. The zs5 is 1/20 the cost of my ISine 10.

The upgrade cable is more expensive than the zs5.

Jul 13, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #3,030 of 7,352
My daily cans that I used most now is neither sine or ISine. Is kz zs5. The pure silver + copper cable can make factory, silver plated or gold plated cable all go to the bin. Definitely the case for sine and ISine and zs5. All other cables coming from manufacturers belongs to bin in terms of sound quality. Not talking fancy setup. Just Samsung or iphone.

Not a fan of eq for me.
Before the iSINEs I was not a fan of EQ either since it is frowned upon within this community, and for good reason most of the time, but it was recently pointed out that it can be a good thing, a very good thing. Most head/ear phones do not take EQ well and just a little can introduce distortion and undo all that we're trying to accomplish. The iSINEs are truly game changing since they accept EQ so well at almost any level without introducing distortion. To me that's the next evolution in this digital world we live in. You're not EQ'ing the standard cable to fix a problem. You are being given a blank canvas to paint the sound you want. The possibilities are almost endless. You don't have to switch gear for a different sound. You just adapt what you have. I received my LCDi4's yesterday and it takes it to another level. KManns filters can give you a completely different and amazing listening experience without degrading the SQ. To me it's amazing.

I get from a purist standpoint this does not sound attractive which I understand. There is a still a joy in simplicity and I love plugging my HD800S into my WA8 without any EQ'ing at all but when you really think about it, we're just hiding the digital art in a set up like this. The amount of processing happening within the DAC and the players is still amazing, we just don't see it since it's beyond our control. At some point we'll reach perfect sound reproduction and we still won't be satisfied since there really isn't a true end game in this hobby. It's about exploring and improving so at some point EQ and the ability to personalize the experience will take over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back