Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Jun 3, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #2,566 of 7,352
Is there a better shirt clip I could try? The supplied clip really needs to go below the DAC which is not ideal as the weight of the DAC is still there. If you try to clip it above, the wire has already been separated into two feeds so it doesn't stay put.
I'm using the earlocks as I wear glasses and the ear hooks could really do with a redesign to make them adjustable and more 3 dimensional.
If this were made out of a 'memory wire' type material they'd be so much better.
Desperate to make these work really well as I now 'need' them rather than want them :ksc75smile:

IMG_0238.JPG IMG_0239.JPG

I picked up a couple of these. ("Cloop magnetic cable keeper, small") They're just little bits of silicone with a cutout and two magnets. The cutout is big enough to fit around the body of the dac/remote, which works pretty well.

Audeze should really attach a larger, stronger clip directly to the back of the dac/remote on a future iteration of the cable, if they can't reduce the weight.

Jun 3, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #2,567 of 7,352
I know what you mean. I love my ZX2 though and prefer using that over my phone (love the hw buttons, plus i like my 200gb card with flac/dsd/dsf and simpsons episodes on it for the go etc). These EQ settings has it sounding close to the cipher signature for me, but still it's not quite the same.. that cipher cable is something. love it and hate it at the same time.

eq settings:
https://i.imgur.com/2n17CCQm.png
2n17CCQm.png

Really tried with Sony adjusment and the different EQ settings Kman offered. Still I keep prefering the isine20 with the Cipher cable. What a a shame for my Sony NW-ZX2.

Jun 3, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #2,568 of 7,352
Maybe this has already been recommended but just in case, this is working for me:

iPhone 7 Headphones Adapter, [Upgrade for IOS 10.3], iPhone 7 Plus Adapter, Dual Lightning Headphone Adapter Splitter for iPhone 7 / 7 Plus (white) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071KXWZQB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ES3mzbEQGW0A2

I plugged the power supply and cypher in before plugging into the iPhone.
What a pleasure to watch the charge level go up while streaming the new Roger Waters off tidal...

Jun 4, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #2,569 of 7,352
QUOTE="KMann, post: 13229906, member: 468265"]My preferred app on Android is HF player (it does not provide PEQ, but has enough granularity to fine tune), ...[/QUOTE]
Okay, as I couldn't get my neutron player on the Sony NW-ZX2 to really sound good with the isine20 I decided to give the Onkyo HF Player a try. Unfortunately the Onkyo HF player wants to promote Onkyo products only so there is no isine20 Equalization somewhere. And the EQ is a 11 Band so not a lot of fine tuning. On the positive side you can name each of the EQ presets you create. So you can really try them easily out. Not so much with the Neutron player, or maybe I haven't found out how to.
After playing around I settled with that curve and at least in my ears it really sounds great.
The first picture is the Audeze curve as KMann posted it.
The second picture is a "screenshot" I did on my Sony NW-ZX2.
IMG_2518.JPG IMG_2543.JPG [

As always looking for feedback and comments. If someone want to have the values I am happy to share, but the problem with the Onkyo HF equalizer is that you can only drag the little bubbles and when you tip at them you most of the time change them at the same time.

BTW if you like me some one who never ever EQed anything there is an interesting thought Karthick gave me. Just to make clear how much I disliked EQ so far: even on my Jan Meier Corda Classic ff headphone amp and Daccord ff DAC I always staid away of using the little bass boost offered to cover for Crossfeed loss. So anyhow, if you think as EQ as the evil here is a good explanation Dr. Karthick Manivannan, Director of Research, Audeze LLC, send me why for our loved isine20 the EQing is a great thing:

"The EQ adds back the effect of Pinna and concha that is generally missing in in-ear monitors. Because everyone's outer ear is different, there is no one-size fits all, so the EQ I provided is an average and would require some fine tuning like you have done for yourself."
And as I found out myself with the Cypher cable the EQ can mean the difference between Party like fun and not so much fun. So if you haven't tried to EQ these isine20, do it.

Jun 4, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #2,570 of 7,352

I picked up a couple of these. ("Cloop magnetic cable keeper, small") They're just little bits of silicone with a cutout and two magnets. The cutout is big enough to fit around the body of the dac/remote, which works pretty well.

Audeze should really attach a larger, stronger clip directly to the back of the dac/remote on a future iteration of the cable, if they can't reduce the weight.
Thanks I'll look into those.
My thought was they should move the DAC to very near the phone, then simply have a much smaller button control up near the right ear where it's most useful (Patent pending Audeze!)
Yes, slightly increased manufacturing cost but much easier to live with so would happily pay and extra £20

Jun 4, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #2,571 of 7,352
Thanks I'll look into those.
My thought was they should move the DAC to very near the phone, then simply have a much smaller button control up near the right ear where it's most useful (Patent pending Audeze!)
Yes, slightly increased manufacturing cost but much easier to live with so would happily pay and extra £20

Note that the cypher cable has the mic so it needs to be in close proximity to the head so it can pick up one's voice during phone calls.

Jun 4, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #2,572 of 7,352
Note that the cypher cable has the mic so it needs to be in close proximity to the head so it can pick up one's voice during phone calls.
Exactly, clearly you can get very small mic/remote unit as is the case with the standard Apple earphones and Westone for example. They both weigh very little and they are positioned next to your mouth which is ideal.
Then if the DAC is moved down towards the phone it can be tucked away and doesn't pull on the cable, almost like having a small Dragonfly for example

Jun 4, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #2,573 of 7,352
My preferred app on Android is HF player (it does not provide PEQ, but has enough granularity to fine tune), ...

Okay, as I couldn't get my neutron player on the Sony NW-ZX2 to really sound good with the isine20 I decided to give the Onkyo HF Player a try. Unfortunately the Onkyo HF player wants to promote Onkyo products only so there is no isine20 Equalization somewhere. And the EQ is a 11 Band so not a lot of fine tuning. On the positive side you can name each of the EQ presets you create. So you can really try them easily out. Not so much with the Neutron player, or maybe I haven't found out how to.
After playing around I settled with that curve and at least in my ears it really sounds great.
The first picture is the Audeze curve as KMann posted it.
The second picture is a "screenshot" I did on my Sony NW-ZX2.

As always looking for feedback and comments. If someone want to have the values I am happy to share, but the problem with the Onkyo HF equalizer is that you can only drag the little bubbles and when you tip at them you most of the time change them at the same time.

BTW if you like me some one who never ever EQed anything there is an interesting thought Karthick gave me. Just to make clear how much I disliked EQ so far: even on my Jan Meier Corda Classic ff headphone amp and Daccord ff DAC I always staid away of using the little bass boost offered to cover for Crossfeed loss. So anyhow, if you think as EQ as the evil here is a good explanation Dr. Karthick Manivannan, Director of Research, Audeze LLC, send me why for our loved isine20 the EQing is a great thing:

And as I found out myself with the Cypher cable the EQ can mean the difference between Party like fun and not so much fun. So if you haven't tried to EQ these isine20, do it.

HF player is awesome for EQ and I would recommend it for both iOS and Android users. Bob Katz swears by it. The EQ interface of HF player is deceivingly simple, yet quite potent. Instead of choosing '11 band' preset, if you choose 'flat', you can add as many dots as your finger would allow to move on the screen. Unlike a typical graphic eq where what you see is not necessarily what you get in terms of EQ, HF player uses the EQ curve you created with the 'dots' to create a linear-phase filter that will have a frequency response very close to the curve you created. On iPhoen or a rooted Android, you may be able to precisely adjust the EQ if you open the preset file in a text editor. Refer this link for a good introduction by Bob Katz on using HF player. Bob's blog is about how he EQ'd Oppo PM-3 with HF player.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #2,574 of 7,352
HF player is awesome for EQ and I would recommend it for both iOS and Android users. Bob Katz swears by it. The EQ interface of HF player is deceivingly simple, yet quite potent. Instead of choosing '11 band' preset, if you choose 'flat', you can add as many dots as your finger would allow to move on the screen. Unlike a typical graphic eq where what you see is not necessarily what you get in terms of EQ, HF player uses the EQ curve you created with the 'dots' to create a linear-phase filter that will have a frequency response very close to the curve you created. On iPhoen or a rooted Android, you may be able to precisely adjust the EQ if you open the preset file in a text editor. Refer this link for a good introduction by Bob Katz on using HF player. Bob's blog is about how he EQ'd Oppo PM-3 with HF player.
Cool. As always a big thank you!

Jun 4, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #2,575 of 7,352
I see lots of eqing for the 20's, how about some for the 10's???

TWIN

Jun 5, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #2,577 of 7,352
Bob Katz wrote:
The ergonomics of this equalizer are good but one function puzzles me. You can start with a flat response by loading a preset. Tapping your thumb on any point in the frequency graph produces a new dot which can be dragged up and down. But there is no way to erase a dot, so if you're not careful, the graph will quickly become littered with dots that you have to move to the 0 dB line if you don't want an active filter at those points. But I beat the system, and you can, too! I found a way to precisely set the EQ in 0.1 dB increments or less if you want and place dots precisely anywhere on the graph: Using an OSX App called iMazing allows me to exchange files between my iPhone and my Mac. I extracted an EQ document from the iPhone and found the EQ settings are written in XML, which can be directly edited with a text editor! For example:

[array]
[real]1000.0[/real]
[real]0.0[/real]
[/array]
[array]
[real]32000[/real]
[real]1.1478259563446045[/real]
[/array]

(Ed Note: "<" and ">" symbols have been replaced by "[" and "]" so they can be seen in an HTML web page.

This means that 1 kHz is set to flat and 32000 Hz is boosted 1.1 dB (expressed to 16 decimal places if you want!), producing a gentle rise in the high end. So you can edit this file to produce exactly the curve that you'd like. Thanks, Onkyo! Even if you're all thumbs on the iPhone touchscreen you can precisely edit this file on the desktop Mac and send it back to the iPhone. Later when measuring I found the EQ circuit drops level 3 dB, so if you don't boost any frequency more than 3 dB, you won't have to worry about digital overload. Hints: You'll have to explicitly flatten each octave by adding more dots or it will draw a slight dip in the curve between 31.25 Hz and 1000, unless you're looking for a dip.
Read more at https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/katzs-corner-episode-11-oppo-explosion#XCGjLoHVAPX1xm1X.99

So I started with the flat and it even better now. But I can't find the XML file Katz is referring to. Any idea KMann where to find it on my android Sony NW-ZX2? Thanks.

Jun 5, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #2,579 of 7,352
Some iSine comfort tips 'n tricks :p

If the wheight of the cipher dac-piece bothers you (like it bothered me), i found that wearing the cable like this removed the problem entirely. Works without the shirt clip aswell.

The ear hooks squeezed my ears a little too hard, making them uncomfortable during long sessions. Bending the hooks by hand removed this problem. The hooks now sit more loosely, but they still stay perfectly in place, I can even work out with them.

Is there a better shirt clip I could try? The supplied clip really needs to go below the DAC which is not ideal as the weight of the DAC is still there. If you try to clip it above, the wire has already been separated into two feeds so it doesn't stay put.
I'm using the earlocks as I wear glasses and the ear hooks could really do with a redesign to make them adjustable and more 3 dimensional.
If this were made out of a 'memory wire' type material they'd be so much better.
Desperate to make these work really well as I now 'need' them rather than want them :ksc75smile:
Tried wearing the cable like this? Took away all the wheight of the DAC module for me anyway.

Jun 5, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #2,580 of 7,352
This HF Player doesn't appear to support gapless playback, which is a deal breaker for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back