Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Apr 14, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #2,087 of 7,352
  Looks like that is for PC only.  Any other suggestions to bump the base a bit using Tidal? 

Did you mean desktop only? because Amarra Tidal is available for Mac. For mobile use, there may be some options on rooted Android phones which allows system level EQ and from few manufacturers. Yet another option (but only for home use), is Roon will let you play to an android device and lets you do EQ on the Roon server/core device. 

Apr 15, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #2,088 of 7,352
So I got my isine10's yesterday. Upon my first listen, I was surprised by the sound. It wasn't really the dark/warm sound I had been used to, from the LCD-2/3. Expecting the same sound from IEMs, is obviously silly. I didn't expect that. But I was surprised by the sound. I was really loving it tho, as it was prob the closest I've had an IEM come, to sounding like a an over the head headphone. The soundstage, the detail. The bass also had good weight/detail (even though it's not as impactful as my Sony ex800ST).

But after about 30 min, I started to notice a little irritation in my right ear. And then slowly I had a burning/itchy sensation in both ears. Then I started to get aches in my both ears as well. So I had to put them down after about 50 min of use. I didn't use them for the rest of the day. As the rest of the day went on, my ear aches got worse. Felt like I had a bubble in each ear, so clearly I was expericing deep fatigue/irritation (something I've experienced before from headphones like Grado).

This really bummed me out. Apart of me wanted to use them again today, and try again. But my ears still feel itchy and aches. So that kind of tells me, I should stop and just recognize these aren't for me. I know it has to be the sound sig, because I can blast my Sony's, and those have bass that rocks your skull. And I wasn't even listening full blast with the Audeze. Just something about the sound sig, is irritating my ears.

I still have my 20's on order (waiting list). I'm wondering to anyone that has tried both, should I just cancel these? Do you think the 20 is that different from the 10? Is supposed to be more rounded/smooth then the 10? Or do they both have a similar sound sig.

I've decided to just give my 10's to my family member and not try them again. But apart of me thinks I should just also cancel my 20 order, because of the kind of ear aches I got with the 10. And this was with the 3.5mm standard 10 version. No idea if the Cipher Cable which comes with the 20, will make a big enough of a difference, that the sound sig would be more accommodating to my ears. I have the LCD-2 + 3, and have never had these issues before with Audeze. But yeah agian, IEMs are obviously different.

How do you compare the sound quality to the Sony EX800ST ? it's a well regarded IEM from what I saw online.

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #2,089 of 7,352
How do you compare the sound quality to the Sony EX800ST ? it's a well regarded IEM from what I saw online.

I am not the best person to ask as I'm a casual audiophile. Meaning, I love high quality audio. But I don't understand things on a technical level. I go off of how things sound and my own personal taste. So take what I say with a grain of salt.

But the Sony's are by far the best IEMs ive ever experienced when it comes to bass. If you tape the vents (I use a sliver of black electrical tape. It's very easy and takes a couple seconds), the bass absolutely rocks your skull. It's insane the punch and impact these things have.

So if you are a bass lover, and also want a headphone that isn't very harsh (so almost all music sounds good on it), they are great. I also think given their pricing, it's really insane the performance you get. I honestly think they are some of the best things I've ever owned, even in comparison to $1k + stuff. Also you can plug them in with no source, and they are still that powerful (I use them with my iPhone).

That said, if you are into treble, transparency, soundstage, detail separation, speed - that isn't what these are. The Sony are more fun, and simplistic. At the same time, I wouldn't say they are "silky smooth" the way I feel the Audeze LCDs are like. Only real negatives is that the cable it comes with is really poor. You can't swap it out unless you do physical work on it. Also I've heard some people have trouble getting a nice fit (not because it's huge, just the ear tips they come with and their size and angle). But given the price, I definitely can recommend, and understand why some think they are an end game IEM (if that sound sig is your style. Especially if you are a bass lover). They also scale extremely well with an amp. You can get even more out of them if that's what you want.

Comparing them to the isine, the isine have a much wider sound stage. Better detail/separation. The bass isn't anywhere near as impactful, but like the bigger Audeze it does have that nice bottom end slam. The bass feels detailed. There is a more "airy" quality. The bass is much more pushed back to the Sony (so if you go from Sony to Audeze, at first the bass seems much weaker. But I would argue it has more detail, and nice bottom end bass).

The isine remind me a lot like bigger over the ear headphones due to the soundstage and the space. The details. Keep in mind I'm using the 3.5 mm standard jack and not the cipher cable. I'm also not EQ, since I'm using with my iPhone and the Audeze app doesn't work without the cipher cable.

But to my ears, the isine 10 have a lot more speed and treble compare to the LCD-2 and 3. It's not as "thick" and warm sounding. It's kind of a weird hybrid of the LCD sound, with other over the ear headphones (so less thick/warm/melodic sounding, but it still has a lot of qualities that are true to the Audeze sound).

So that's my take as a casual listener. I think the Sony are worth it given the price. If you are a bass lover, I get why they are end game level for some. But if you are looking for an overall package, the isine does a lot more things right (such as sound stage, clarity, speed, separation, detail). The isine feels closer to an actual over the ear full size headphone. The build quality and design of the actual iems, isine is much better. The Sony cable is cheap, the housing is also nothing special (but they get the job done and are tough as hell. They basically are closer to a tool in terms of design). The isine imo are sexy as hell (I know some disagree with me on that). I think they look good aesthetically speaking, and the build material is much nicer.

If it wasn't for me getting intense ear fatigue on the isine, I think I would say the isine imo are better overall iems. But again, the price of the Sony given the insane performance, it can't be beat. And depending on your sound sig preference, it might be what you are looking for. It's def plug and play where most of the music sounds incredible regardless. And that's also a big positive. It should also be said that the reason the isine sound so close to over the ear headphones, is because they are basically open back. That is why you get the wide soundstage and airy quality. But this also means they leak. If you are on a plane, or are in a quiet room near others, the sound will leak out. The Sony doesn't have any leaking at all, and actually do a good job blocking out all outside noise. So it's a trade off back and forth. Ultimately it will come down to personal taste and what you are looming for. I feel confident that at least what I heard, the isine are delivering a bigger package. But there is merit in the Sony being plug and play, almost everything sounds good on them. The bass (if you are a bass lover) is absolutely insane.

And this isn't even to say the Sony lack detail and are only huge bass. They do a lot right too. But comparing the two side by side, I think there is a stark contrast to what they are trying to be. The isine are trying to be more than an iem, a bridge between IEM and full size over the ear headphones.

Apr 15, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #2,091 of 7,352
any replacement cable recommendation please?

I tested the PWaudio Sevenfold Pipe Series Silver-Copper 4-wire Hybrid with my isine20 and Onkyo Granbeat. Mids sounded more creamy while the bass had better extension and treble sounded lush. I believe the silver retained the level of detail and responsiveness while the copper added some warmth to the dark sound signature of the 20. Still waiting for my pair to arrive as I was told typical lead time was 7weeks.

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #2,092 of 7,352
I tested the PWaudio Sevenfold Pipe Series Silver-Copper 4-wire Hybrid with my isine20 and Onkyo Granbeat. Mids sounded more creamy while the bass had better extension and treble sounded lush. I believe the silver retained the level of detail and responsiveness while the copper added some warmth to the dark sound signature of the 20. Still waiting for my pair to arrive as I was told typical lead time was 7weeks.

https://world.taobao.com/item/38768858032.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a312a.7700824.w8514862-9907330372.26.IXnQpu

thinking about if this would be good.  supposed to be silver-plated copper

Apr 15, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #2,094 of 7,352
I am not the best person to ask as I'm a casual audiophile. Meaning, I love high quality audio. But I don't understand things on a technical level. I go off of how things sound and my own personal taste. So take what I say with a grain of salt.

But the Sony's are by far the best IEMs ive ever experienced when it comes to bass. If you tape the vents (I use a sliver of black electrical tape. It's very easy and takes a couple seconds), the bass absolutely rocks your skull. It's insane the punch and impact these things have.

So if you are a bass lover, and also want a headphone that isn't very harsh (so almost all music sounds good on it), they are great. I also think given their pricing, it's really insane the performance you get. I honestly think they are some of the best things I've ever owned, even in comparison to $1k + stuff. Also you can plug them in with no source, and they are still that powerful (I use them with my iPhone).

That said, if you are into treble, transparency, soundstage, detail separation, speed - that isn't what these are. The Sony are more fun, and simplistic. At the same time, I wouldn't say they are "silky smooth" the way I feel the Audeze LCDs are like. Only real negatives is that the cable it comes with is really poor. You can't swap it out unless you do physical work on it. Also I've heard some people have trouble getting a nice fit (not because it's huge, just the ear tips they come with and their size and angle). But given the price, I definitely can recommend, and understand why some think they are an end game IEM (if that sound sig is your style. Especially if you are a bass lover). They also scale extremely well with an amp. You can get even more out of them if that's what you want.

Comparing them to the isine, the isine have a much wider sound stage. Better detail/separation. The bass isn't anywhere near as impactful, but like the bigger Audeze it does have that nice bottom end slam. The bass feels detailed. There is a more "airy" quality. The bass is much more pushed back to the Sony (so if you go from Sony to Audeze, at first the bass seems much weaker. But I would argue it has more detail, and nice bottom end bass).

The isine remind me a lot like bigger over the ear headphones due to the soundstage and the space. The details. Keep in mind I'm using the 3.5 mm standard jack and not the cipher cable. I'm also not EQ, since I'm using with my iPhone and the Audeze app doesn't work without the cipher cable.

But to my ears, the isine 10 have a lot more speed and treble compare to the LCD-2 and 3. It's not as "thick" and warm sounding. It's kind of a weird hybrid of the LCD sound, with other over the ear headphones (so less thick/warm/melodic sounding, but it still has a lot of qualities that are true to the Audeze sound).

So that's my take as a casual listener. I think the Sony are worth it given the price. If you are a bass lover, I get why they are end game level for some. But if you are looking for an overall package, the isine does a lot more things right (such as sound stage, clarity, speed, separation, detail). The isine feels closer to an actual over the ear full size headphone. The build quality and design of the actual iems, isine is much better. The Sony cable is cheap, the housing is also nothing special (but they get the job done and are tough as hell. They basically are closer to a tool in terms of design). The isine imo are sexy as hell (I know some disagree with me on that). I think they look good aesthetically speaking, and the build material is much nicer.

If it wasn't for me getting intense ear fatigue on the isine, I think I would say the isine imo are better overall iems. But again, the price of the Sony given the insane performance, it can't be beat. And depending on your sound sig preference, it might be what you are looking for. It's def plug and play where most of the music sounds incredible regardless. And that's also a big positive. It should also be said that the reason the isine sound so close to over the ear headphones, is because they are basically open back. That is why you get the wide soundstage and airy quality. But this also means they leak. If you are on a plane, or are in a quiet room near others, the sound will leak out. The Sony doesn't have any leaking at all, and actually do a good job blocking out all outside noise. So it's a trade off back and forth. Ultimately it will come down to personal taste and what you are looming for. I feel confident that at least what I heard, the isine are delivering a bigger package. But there is merit in the Sony being plug and play, almost everything sounds good on them. The bass (if you are a bass lover) is absolutely insane.

And this isn't even to say the Sony lack detail and are only huge bass. They do a lot right too. But comparing the two side by side, I think there is a stark contrast to what they are trying to be. The isine are trying to be more than an iem, a bridge between IEM and full size over the ear headphones.

Thanks Waifu! that was insightful. I do need another IEM that is isolating since the iSine is open and would not be the best choice depending on the environment you are in. I currently have the Shure SE215 which is super isolating but I was eyeing the Sony as an upgrade. Given it's reasonable price, I may just get it and see if it fits the bill.

Apr 15, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #2,095 of 7,352

A lot of what you're speaking about is how my first week went. I had ear fatigue. It was obviously a very good sound but didn't seem right for me. The treble was just so overly impactful.

I kept trying all kinds of different fit/depth combinations until I found just the right tip/depth. I guess I'd recommend keep experimenting!

My favorite fit might sound odd but I use the Earloops & Large Tips. I put the tips against the outer edge of my ear canal and then tightens the Earloop just enough so that the tip has a little hold/seal against the top of my ear canal. I don't know if that'll work for everybody but wow does it nail an incredible experience for me.

Apr 15, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #2,096 of 7,352

I've been using Audeze's new grippy tips since receiving a pair before CanJam SoCal and I absolutely adore these things. The iSINE stay in my ear without issue and there's no need to fiddle with the hooks anymore. Perfect solution for my needs. The one downside I see is that there's a strange sensation the first couple times you remove them from your ears, but I got used to the feeling quickly.

I'll note that I don't do anything too strenuous while wearing the iSINE, so those who are more active may still end up using the hooks.

Apr 15, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #2,097 of 7,352

I've been using Audeze's new grippy tips since receiving a pair before CanJam SoCal and I absolutely adore these things. The iSINE stay in my ear without issue and there's no need to fiddle with the hooks anymore. Perfect solution for my needs. The one downside I see is that there's a strange sensation the first couple times you remove them from your ears, but I got used to the feeling quickly.

I'll note that I don't do anything too strenuous while wearing the iSINE, so those who are more active may still end up using the hooks.

God those look neat. I noticed these things respond a LOT to small changes in depth/seal. Having them stay in that perfect little spot better would be so amazing.

Apr 15, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #2,098 of 7,352

Great to know, how can existing customer get a set of these tips to try @KMann? The best tip I have come across is the spiral dot with the ear hook, but the ear hook is too small and cause me discomfort. Also, with ear hook on the shell rub against my outer ear on the left side and create some microphonics when I move around. I emailed customer service but there was no alternative solution back then. Hopefully these new tips (or if possible, memory type ear hook) can solve the issue.

Apr 15, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #2,099 of 7,352

Great to know, how can existing customer get a set of these tips to try @KMann? The best tip I have come across is the spiral dot with the ear hook, but the ear hook is too small and cause me discomfort. Also, with ear hook on the shell rub against my outer ear on the left side and create some microphonics when I move around. I emailed customer service but there was no alternative solution back then. Hopefully these new tips (or if possible, memory type ear hook) can solve the issue.

Have you tried bending the hear hooks by hand? Took a little force, but made them way more comfortable for me.

About the new tips, how much better do they stay in place? Can you move around without the ear hooks with the new and/or the old tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back