Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Jan 5, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #932 of 7,353
I never liked the 846. I find the treble off and too colored. I always likened it to a photograph that is enhanced that looks almost like cartoon. The iSine20 while similar to 10 though I find it too thin and a bit harsher on some music but not as colored as the 846.

Hi.  Do these have the typical Audeze house sound that I have heard about or are they way different?  I would actually like something with more clarity and soundstage and a tad less bass and coloring.  I would even like better treble and would even not mind a little more treble as well.  Would a dap like DPX1, Fiio X5 3,  Fioo X5 original and Opus 1 be enough to power these say when Ii cannot use my computer?  Would my computers be enough to power these pretty well or is a amp/dac recommended?  These should be okay when I am in my room on my computer I think.  I really don't need isolation at all until summer when I run my sort of loud desk fan most of the time while in my room.

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #933 of 7,353
Hmm my impressions were quite different from yours:

Using the cipher cable with my iPhone 5S, I do not have to max out the iPhone to reach my "auditioning volume" which is slightly higher than my usual listening volume. I do feel that if I maxed out the volume, I'll probably suffer hearing damage.

The problem with the analog cable is not revealing of micro details on old or new records, it's just a total change in sound signature. The sound becomes very veiled, it's muddy and muffled, basically sounds like a cheap earphones. I was very surprised as my DP-X1 is one of the more neutral DAPs in the market right now. 

If I get the chance to, this time round, I will power the iSine 10 and 20 with an O2 amp (but still using the DP-X1 as a source) and compare again with the cipher cable.

Take note I specifically mention the track and album. Of course the max volume is very loud and ear damaging on most tracks especially those that were mastered to sound loud. There is a reason I use the Daft Punk's particular track because:

a. It is well recorded
b. Contains wide elements of the audible audio spectrum.
c. It will stress out the source/amplifier. Making sure the amp clips first before the track itself. Thus requires more power/volume than most tracks.

If I can't get any source to sound loud enough and it's not pursuing for as it indicates inadequate juice.

Also consider while the iSine may look like sensitive enough, it's semi-open. So I always end up at higher volume compared to a normal iem.

Btw, while we both are using the DP-X1A, it has tons of options that may impact the sound not to mention 3rd Party apps.

I used the stock music app, eq off, but DSP on and upsamples to 192Khz, lock adjust range is 2-clicks down from Narrow, digital filter set to short. I came up with this settings to make dp-X1 bring the most detail as per Onkyo's documents.

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #934 of 7,353
Self-edit: removed (off topic)

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #935 of 7,353
Ah, its possible that there's a misunderstanding here then.

1) If you don't have an iDevice, don't buy this iDevice focused (currently) set of IEMs.
2) If you absolutely have to have the iSine, wait for the USB-C variant of the cipher cable to come out (see comments by Audeze on this subject below).

Audeze is reacting to a unique problem that Apple has. Apple stupidly removed its 3.5mm jack, and now there is suddenly a market for Lightning connected headphones. This product is targeting that market (currently).

I think Audeze mentioned earlier they are going to release eq for various dap which would match sound with lighting cable. Did I misunderstood something?

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #938 of 7,353
I think Audeze mentioned earlier they are going to release eq for various dap which would match sound with lighting cable. Did I misunderstood something?

I asked and they said maybe.  At some point when i decide to buy these, I'm going to pursue it more.  I definitely want to use the same EQ across all daps, and I definitely don't want to be limited to the lightning cable. 

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #939 of 7,353

All potentially true.  Attempting to re-focus the discussion here.  There seems to be a lot of negativity and anger focused at Apple and its decision to do away with the 3.5mm headphone jack in its smartphones, but that's a "glass half full" view, in my opinion.  There's definitely a trade-off here (i.e., replacing the ubiquitous 3.5mm headphone jack with a Lightning or USB-C headphone cable), but it also provides what many consider to be happy medium between portability and peak sound quality in an era when most people listen to music on a smartphone.  Kudos to Audeze for targeting this burgeoning market.

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #941 of 7,353
I placed my order with Hi-Fi Heaven in September.  Still hasn't shipped.  Has anyone who has ordered from a third party online retailer received their order?

From here my understanding is audeze has only released them in Asia so far, I don't recall any US buyers stating they've received their orders yet and my local dealer was going to contact me when they receive them. No call yet.

Jan 6, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #944 of 7,353

Odd, considering Audeze is a California-based company.

But like most makers, have components (or whole assembly) made in China/Taiwan/Japan/etc.  Not that it is bad at all (i am not that guy, some of my favorite knives and watches are Japanese), but would make sense that Asia gets it first since its made locally (but please also, correct me if i am wrong on where its made)..  Distribution takes time (especially by boat and rail).

Admittedly, with my new cables for my LCD-2, i am not dying for these as much as before.. Would love to give a listen in person if i can find em.. but till then, waiting for more reviews

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #945 of 7,353
Audeze has always said they manufacture everything right there in southern California, not to say that a miscellaneous component or two may be manufactured overseas, not sure about that aspect.  Kinds of like cars built in the USA. That's why  I like the company so much.  Running out of options to buy American over the past decade or two except for notable exceptions such as McIntosh.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back