Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Sep 5, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #245 of 7,353
To clarify, keep in mind this is in regards to the Sine, the on ear headphone, and not the iSine. The Sine has options for the Cipher, which will hopefully mean the iSine will have similar options.

Sep 5, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #246 of 7,353
Audeze have only released photos of what the iSine10 and iSine20 look like.  It'll be interesting to see what the LCD-i3 looks like.

The industrial design is polarising.  I think people will either love the design or hate it.  For me the industrial design is really hard to swallow!  I think it's Audeze's Persephone moment.  Persephone is the name that Homer Simpson gave to that hideous car that he designed in an old Simpsons episode.  They may well sound great but I'd die of embarrassment to be seen wearing them.  They aren't good outdoor earphones anyway because they're open back.  Can't use them on public transport easily because they're like mini speakers on your ears that will annoy the people around you.  Furthermore, you can hear all the noise around you so that would ruin the audiophile experience.  Wearing them at home defeats the purpose of having portable earphones.  Instead, the iSine10 and iSine20 look like great ways to get planar magnetic headphones at a great price point.

Being in ear with acoustic coupling the bass will probably be phenomenal.  The videos and photos show that the ear tips look like they're just plain silicone ones.  The Sony hybrid IEM's like the XBA-Z5 have silicone ear tips with a foam underneath so the the ear tips conform better to the ear canal.  However, getting Comply Foam Tips is likely to give the best acoustic coupling and will make the iSine10 and iSine20 sound amazing.  It'll be interesting once the reviews start trickling in.

Sep 5, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #247 of 7,353
I personally like the design, but will be buying a spiderman sticker because it deserves it, assuming I pick it up for the upcoming holidays. It'd be nice to hear an Audeze again.

Sep 5, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #249 of 7,353
Apple's about to release the iPhone 7.  The leaked images show that Apple is dumping the 3.5mm headphone jack.  Looks like the Lightning port is staying even though there are rumours that it would have a USB Type-C.  That would be a bummer for the iSine10 and iSine20.

If the new iPhone only has a lightning port that it'll be very inconvenient like the MacBook.  Plug the headphones into the Lightning port and the phone can't be charged because the port is being used.  If they include a 3.5mm to Lightning adapter then that doesn't solve the charging problem.  So Apple gets to sell more adapters...  The iPhone 7 leaked images make the phone like 'meh'.  I think Apple has been stagnant for years.  If they wanted to make the phone slimmer then there's the 2.5mm heaphone jack, but then I reckon Apple wouldn't be able to sell more adapters ...

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #252 of 7,353
  Bluetooth and audiophile don't go together.  Every generation they tell us how wonderful the improvements are but is Bluetooth really going to beat a high quality cable?

this is true.

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #253 of 7,353
I am unable to comment further on this matter :wink:

Ignoring the fact that both USB-C and lightning can transmit power, video, and data; lightning is thinner and Apple recently added Lightning ports to their keyboard, trackpad, and AppleTV peripherals. Even some third party gamepad mfr's have put lightning connectors in their products.

Since both support basically USB 3 speeds, Apple probably would use lightning for everything if they could, Except USB-C is actually an attempt to use something anticipated to be more universal in the future (and maybe USB-C supports more power and lightning isn't rated to carry enough to charge laptops).

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #254 of 7,353
Ignoring the fact that both USB-C and lightning can transmit power, video, and data; lightning is thinner and Apple recently added Lightning ports to their keyboard, trackpad, and AppleTV peripherals. Even some third party gamepad mfr's have put lightning connectors in their products.

Since both support basically USB 3 speeds, Apple probably would use lightning for everything if they could, Except USB-C is actually an attempt to use something anticipated to be more universal in the future (and maybe USB-C supports more power and lightning isn't rated to carry enough to charge laptops).

That's why Apple came up with their own USB-C compatible interface called Thunderbolt 3.
Actually Apple worked with Intel on Thunderbolt 3.

Sep 5, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #255 of 7,353
Apple's about to release the iPhone 7.  The leaked images show that Apple is dumping the 3.5mm headphone jack.  Looks like the Lightning port is staying even though there are rumours that it would have a USB Type-C.  That would be a bummer for the iSine10 and iSine20.

If the new iPhone only has a lightning port that it'll be very inconvenient like the MacBook.  Plug the headphones into the Lightning port and the phone can't be charged because the port is being used.  If they include a 3.5mm to Lightning adapter then that doesn't solve the charging problem.  So Apple gets to sell more adapters...  The iPhone 7 leaked images make the phone like 'meh'.  I think Apple has been stagnant for years.  If they wanted to make the phone slimmer then there's the 2.5mm heaphone jack, but then I reckon Apple wouldn't be able to sell more adapters ...

Apple may well be stagnating, but then again look at the entire mobile business and it's all a stagnated "let's play the marketable metrics" mess.

To be fair to Apple they will be including a Lightning to 3.5mm adapter, but as you said you can't charge the device while using it. However I would ask how much of a problem is it really? Whenever I'm listening to an iToy I'm on the go, so therefore not charging the device in question. For those who do need to charge when listening then there's the USB 3 CCK, which allows charging, and then you can use something like a Dragonfly to get your audio kicks while charging.

And this is where I think Audeze screwed up. The Cipher cable is lighting only when it could have easily been a standard USB 2.0 audio CC device with additional cables to handle the connection to iOS or a standard computer. I'm not mentioning Android here because there is so much variability between devices as to what they support and what they don't it makes it impossible for any manufacturer to declare 100% Android support.

This is why I consider the Cipher cable to be a Dodo - it only works with iOS devices and that's it. Not even with Apple's own computers. And that's why I've given up with the Cipher cable - actually I've given up with the SINE as well, but that's another story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back