Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Nov 28, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #736 of 7,352
planar is a lot closer to armature than dynamic in its speed but lacks impact and weight but extension is impressive and so is distortion.

BA's (and Planar magnetics) lacks impact and weight? I'm not sure I agree with that. :/ I mean, I'm the first to admit that I'm on the far end of the spectrum with my Jerry Harvey JH16 Pro's but... those things rattle my teeth if I listen too loud. They slam and slam HARD. My HE-1000s do pretty much the same. It's possible I might be misreading your post but... I dunno, man.

Nov 28, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #737 of 7,352
BA's (and Planar magnetics) lacks impact and weight? I'm not sure I agree with that. :/ I mean, I'm the first to admit that I'm on the far end of the spectrum with my Jerry Harvey JH16 Pro's but... those things rattle my teeth if I listen too loud. They slam and slam HARD. My HE-1000s do pretty much the same. It's possible I might be misreading your post but... I dunno, man.

I agree with it 100%. I mean hell, just the physics of the drivers dictates that they can't move as much air as a dynamic driver.

Nov 28, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #738 of 7,352
I agree with it 100%. I mean hell, just the physics of the drivers dictates that they can't move as much air as a dynamic driver.

I hear ya, and, I guess I'm willing to conseed this if I had some examples maybe. What dynamic headphone is slamming harder than an LCD-4 these days? Admittedly, I don't have much expirence with dynamic IEMs...

Nov 28, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #739 of 7,352

I actually have a question about this, what do you mean by impact and weight?

Is there somewhere I could read the differences between armature and planar?

So far I think i like the feel of armature better than planar, but I think i'll make the iSines my final call.

i mean the general characteristics of the driver, sure you can vent BAs and add more to increase bass weight and impact just like you can use exotic materials to stiffen up a dynamic driver and make it faster.

when it comes to speed though i dont know exactly how they would line up but from a rough guess id say
electrostatic > balanced armature > planar magnetic > dynamic
imo the transient response is very important when it comes to playing back music because it makes it sound real/live.

it all depends on the technologies though as well, like i said its just the general characteristics and of course they can be modified,

Nov 28, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #740 of 7,352
i mean the general characteristics of the driver, sure you can vent BAs and add more to increase bass weight and impact just like you can use exotic materials to stiffen up a dynamic driver and make it faster.

Yep, now THIS I agree with. I thought I might've been misunderstanding. :wink:

Nov 28, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #741 of 7,352
I hear ya, and, I guess I'm willing to conseed this if I had some examples maybe. What dynamic headphone is slamming harder than an LCD-4 these days? Admittedly, I don't have much expirence with dynamic IEMs...

Uh... a lot of 'em? Look, planars are rad and the LCD series is wonderful, but if you just look at the distance the driver is capable of moving and the air displaced it's a wild difference. 

Put it this way, if you have a diaphragm size of X distance units across, a thin membrane vibrating simply cannot move as much air as a cone with a motor behind it. Period. 

Nov 28, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #742 of 7,352

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club
http://www.head-fi.org/t/761433/head-fi-basshead-iem-thread-lists-page-1

Guy who made these threads is in Japan, and has listened most everything. Yes including the LCD series. If it ain't on the list, it's at #11 at best.

Nov 28, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #743 of 7,352
I need to read a bit about the physics of making sound. What makes the bass sound good? One of my favorite nightclubs has particularly good sound system and when they turn on the bass it is not necessarily loud (can be quiet actually if the DJ leaves just the bass) but you can feel it with your whole body.

OTOH I've heard a lot of speakers that make me grind my teeth because the quality of bass is poor. It just feels crunchy. I want buttery smooth bass that still packs a punch.

Nov 29, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #744 of 7,352
  I need to read a bit about the physics of making sound. What makes the bass sound good? One of my favorite nightclubs has particularly good sound system and when they turn on the bass it is not necessarily loud (can be quiet actually if the DJ leaves just the bass) but you can feel it with your whole body.

OTOH I've heard a lot of speakers that make me grind my teeth because the quality of bass is poor. It just feels crunchy. I want buttery smooth bass that still packs a punch.

The Audeze LCD series that I have heard has low-end texture and control/tightness/lack of distortion - quality and quantity, that is what you maybe liked on the DJ set, the tight nuanced low-end vs cheap farty one-note bass. The attack/decay on planars prob. better than dynamics and many quality dynamics also have an immersive (quantity) / excursion (air pushing kick) quality to them.

Regardless, I'm sure the iSine series is going to be a stand-out sound. Patiently lurking for the reviews sets impressions to come in :wink:

Nov 30, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #750 of 7,352
Ah cool. I thought it was some deal directly from Audeze.

Sigh, I hope they'll ship before Christmas... Wouldn't mind also seeing some review.

Hey here are some early impressions of the isine 20 and 10. Hope this helps.

https://www.headphone.com/collections/lightning-headphones/products/audeze-isine20-in-ear-headphones
https://www.headphone.com/collections/lightning-headphones/products/audeze-isine10-in-ear-headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back